Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I put gas in my tank the car hesitates to start and dies but only on the initial start-up. 2nd start after it dies it starts right up like nothing happened. I only use BP93. I will get an occasional rev coming to a stop which I suspect is rev hang but correct me if I'm wrong.

I suspected the EVAP purge valve solenoid but it seems to be functioning properly according to my Acessport anyways.
I've never run any cleaners through the fuel system.
Any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Same exact problem here, I've since kept the car running to fill up. Ford shaked their head first pass at the dealership, gonna try again when I get the BCM TSB done in a week or so, the service writer recommended I flash back to stock before getting the BCM updated. I'll let ya know what they find.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
are you topping off? It's very important to NOT top off with our cars because of the emissions stuff related to the fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
something about the vapor recovery canister, I read a thread on here where someone was having problems after topping off, included trips to the dealer and trouble shooting, it was a few months ago that I read it and it could have been an older thread then.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hesitation when starting or a stall after start up immediately after refueling is due to a failed purge valve. If I had a dollar for every time I have seen a purge valve cause that exact concern, i'd have like 1000 dollars.

When the dealer is replacing the purge valve, make sure that they check the EVAP canister for raw fuel. If they find raw fuel, they have to replace it along with the purge valve but it is also important to clean out the line between the canister and the purge valve. Otherwise you are just going to have repeat issues.

I haven't looked in my ST Owner's Guide specifically but Ford recommends a maximum of 2 automatic click offs when refueling any Ford vehicle.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I lied, I had to look it up.

Stop refueling when the fuel pump
nozzle automatically shuts off for the
first time. Failure to follow this will
fill the expansion space in the fuel tank and
could lead to fuel overflowing.

Page 133

1 - 8 of 8 Posts