Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My fully stock intake is seemingly making more rushing air/boosting noises then I remember even just a few weeks ago. Every time I get into the boost there is a very distinct rushing/whistling air noise normally drowned out by the symposer. I remember when the car was new I really had to listen very hard to hear any turbo noises. I noticed it being strangely loud a few days ago, today I got worried & pulled over to check for loose intake connections. Nothing obvious.

Tried taking a video to show you all, but couldnt hear it in the video. This is making me wonder if i am going crazy.

Only recent difference is I got 94 octane for the first time and I was running that on Stratified 93 tune last couple days. Tank was getting low so Im using 91 at this time for good luck. I do not think that is relevant.

If I had a boost leak would it be obvious?

I am slightly worried about unfiltered air getting sucked through an open connection, any tips/tricks to find that?

I tried searching but nothing similar was mentioned.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Could just be noise you're hearing through the front snorkel things due to the tune. If you checked the connection at the turbo, then where the tube halves connect,and at filter box it might just be in your head. Or weather will change its tone. I always here more intake noise on colder days or nights.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am slightly worried about unfiltered air getting sucked through an open connection, any tips/tricks to find that?
Your LTFT (Long Term Fuel Trim) and STFT (Short Term Fuel Trim) can indicate if unfiltered air is being pulled in. LTFT is learned over time from your STFTs, which jump around quite a bit. If you notice that both LTFT and STFT are significantly positive (over 10) throughout the RPM range, you might have a vacuum leak.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the comments. I definitely have a problem though, as today even with floor to the pedal I could not break past under half boost.

If I return to stock yet continue to have difficulty building boostshould I just see my dealer as I am only 23000Km (14000 miles)? Or what else would be suggested?

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I checked my STFT and LTFT, seems fine. STFT flucutated between -10 to +5 most commonly. Peaked at +10 a couple times? LTFT was 4.6 after a bit of a drive. Not sure what any of that means but seems within tolerance.

I confirmed again today, still noisier than normal. Once again went WOT after letting engine warm up & boost guage was moving but refusing to go much higher than 10 PSI. I tuned back to stock, went WOT a few more times same thing.

I think I am going to consult the dealer, but I am worried it will not be warrantied and cost me money. Any common leaking places I can check as an amateur mechanic first?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sounds like you have a boost leak to me. If you can, lift the car up and check the charge pipes. It's semi common for them to pop off the intercooler.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I ought to change the title of this thread, there was something most definitely wrong. And @Ayada wins points for good advice.

Problem was a loose charge pipe. Easy fix once the car is lifted, I would of felt silly taking that to a dealership.

Heres what the passenger side of the intercooler looked. This was obviously poorly fitted together from factory, it took 2 years to reach near failure.
Auto part Wheel Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well I ought to change the title of this thread, there was something most definitely wrong. And @Ayada wins points for good advice.

Problem was a loose charge pipe. Easy fix once the car is lifted, I would of felt silly taking that to a dealership.

Heres what the passenger side of the intercooler looked. This was obviously poorly fitted together from factory, it took 2 years to reach near failure.
View attachment 247362
That looks to have been halfassedly put on there....That really sucks but at least it was an easy fix!!

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That looks to have been halfassedly put on there....That really sucks but at least it was an easy fix!!
Yea. If you look at the image closely you can even see the path the hose clamp took leading to this situation. It was never put on right to begin with.

I actually loosened the other end of the hose connection and refitted it. That was truly the underlying problem. Its now fitting beautifully.

These cars are amazing, but so many silly mistakes. I was also one of the few (or many?) who had loose hatch screws. At least my body panels seem well aligned.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yea. If you look at the image closely you can even see the path the hose clamp took leading to this situation. It was never put on right to begin with.

I actually loosened the other end of the hose connection and refitted it. That was truly the underlying problem. Its now fitting beautifully.

These cars are amazing, but so many silly mistakes. I was also one of the few (or many?) who had loose hatch screws. At least my body panels seem well aligned.
Typical for any mass production product. Stinks that some stuff slips through Quality Control but I bet their failure rate during manufacturing is extremely low.
Glad you figured out your issue though. Normally people blow those worm clamps right off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts