Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a while back when I first bought my ST I had a few problems, my car made a squeak when I?d start from first gear and slightly in second. I could recreate this squeak by kinda rocking the car in first. This problem only happened in cold weather.

Second issue, my wheels used to vibrate at highway speeds, and only in warm weather.

Since I?ve gotten new tires, a set of cooper RS3-G1?s, both of these issues have gone away. So, my assumption was those stock all season tires that come in the ST1 are such garbage, and maybe a bit of a mount and balance issue too, that new tires solved both issues.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Can confirm, Pirellis squeak a little when cold.

Vibrations would have been a bad balance though, mine are smooth.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I know is a m disappointed in ford a little and more disappointed in those stock tires. That wore out around 30k miles

·
Registered
233 Posts
The OEM Pirellis on mine seem to flat spot a bit if the car sits for more than a day or two. Goes away in about five miles but it's still a bit unusual for a radial.
We'll see how many miles I get out of them before going to some BFGs.

·
Registered
505 Posts
That cold weather squeak is most likely the air box mounts that’s what mine was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
All I know is a m disappointed in ford a little and more disappointed in those stock tires. That wore out around 30k miles
This is a performance car with preformance tires. 30k out of a set is pretty good. At the rate my Eagle F1 (summer only) tires are wearing ill be lucky to get 20-25k out of them before they become too dangerous to drive on. Most of these tires for our car are a softer compound and therefore do not last as long.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the cooper RS3-G1?s I got are alleged to be good for 50k.. if I get 42k out of em, I?ll be happy

·
Registered
331 Posts
well if those are the same tire as this on
Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 | Cooper Tire

then those are performance all season tires, not high performance super soft summer only tires.
Correct! So you will sacrifice some performance/cornering abilities for longer tire life. This is the route ill be going when I wear out the stock tires. I dont race or auto x my car so I do not see the need for super high performance tires.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The Pirellis aren't bad. I use them as my cold weather tires.

They have a lot of compliance which takes away some of the immediacy of the turn in response but it also makes for a more comfortable ride than the summer Goodyears.

The Pirellis certainly don't have the grip that the Goodyears do (obviously), but they're easy to manage when they do let go and they give good audible warning.

30,000 miles on a high-torque front drive car is reasonable life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts