Ford Focus ST Forum banner
121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
830 Posts
I can certainly do that, it’s their any power advantage to an intake? I know with stock turbo there isn’t, but I saw the video from edge on the mishimoto intake where they gained 5-6hp with a powermax.. that’s why I was going to do it. I want to squeeze everything from the powermax that I can. If just a filter gives me the same power then I’ll ship the intake and save the money.
The major limitation of the Powermax is the exhaust side. Invest just on the DP and catback That’s what will pay you the must dividends.

Reactions: Phil449 and TurboGT

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST2
233 Posts
The major limitation of the Powermax is the exhaust side. Invest just on the DP and catback That’s what will pay you the must dividends.
I already have full 3” exhaust (DP & catback), FMIC, and green filter. I just bought the Mustang TB. So the last Bolton is a CAI.. so with PM, full exhaust, FMIC, and TB.. the question is would I see gains from an aftermarket intake over stock intake with green filter and spectre mod.. I called the dealer about the RS intake.. they want $150+ for just the box.. $550 for the whole intake.. so won’t be doing that.. at least new. The car has functional hood vents as well.. so whatever I do will keep the lid on.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
830 Posts
I was using the RS intake, the sound is wonderful. The elbow part that connects to turbo is not available anymore, so I bought a 3” 90 degrees aluminum elbow for $15, I welded a piece of pipe for the valve cover vent, Mishimoto sell a screw one for $20, silicone reducer from 3” to 2.5” I think, it could be 2” not sure right now For $10. Connected the rest of the RS tube. You can get a kung fu RS cover for the box for $25, not necessary if you do the Spectra mod. For around $100 you can build the whole intake if you want to go that way. With my front tower brace the RS intake doesn’t fit anymore, as soon I fix my welder, I’ll make me a custom intake.

Reactions: Phil449

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,189 Posts
@Phil449 don't bother with the Spectre mod If you have a green filter. You're still pulling underhood air with that. Or, say you do get moving and the Spectre duct begins to produce positive pressure, it isn't going to be funnelled into the engine, it's going to spill out of the filter end. Which is why I recommended a closed-ended filter like the AEM dry flow.

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST2
233 Posts
Good to know, thanks!
So 3 options:
A. Stock intake with green filter (current)
B. Stock intake with AEM dry and spectre mod
3. Full intake (CPE, Mishimoto, Cobb, etc)

is there any appreciable difference between the 3? I’m certainly not opposed to replacing the air filter. Honestly I thought the previous owner deleted a snorkel when I saw the totally open end of the airbox lol

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,189 Posts
Good to know, thanks!
So 3 options:
A. Stock intake with green filter (current)
B. Stock intake with AEM dry and spectre mod
3. Full intake (CPE, Mishimoto, Cobb, etc)

is there any appreciable difference between the 3? I’m certainly not opposed to replacing the air filter. Honestly I thought the previous owner deleted a snorkel when I saw the totally open end of the airbox lol
I still vote option 2 for the cost-savings. Of course Edge was not able to test the mishi against a modified stock intake. So I'm just guessing at this point that the two will be nearly identical. Plus the plastic tubing has insulation benefits.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts