Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I think once I have sufficient moneys I am going to put a Garrett Powermax in after watching Edgeautosports video on the subject.
It puts me where I want to be powerwise and I intend to upgrade the WGA to the Turbosmart and likely Edge's tune for 91/93.
My question is will my GFB DVX work in place of the stock bypass valve that comes with the turbo? I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere and my Google Fu is normally pretty good.

Thanks in Advance!

·
Super Moderator
2018 Ford Focus ST1 with a 2867 gen 2
1,646 Posts
Which reasons do you have to not go with a 2860 or 2867? It's not THAT much more, and the 2867 (or even 2860) will be making more power than the PM, and doing so more efficiently. Hey @TurboGT, can you chime in with your take on the difference between the two?

ETA: FWIW, the PM was on my list of considerations until I found out it was also going to be prone to causing LSPI because of how fast it spools. I did NOT want to grenade the pistons on an upgrade... Several folks have also mentioned that they had to pull boost pressure at the top of the rpm in favor of timing advance, as the turbo was causing knock at higher rpms with higher boost levels. This isn't an issue with the 28-series turbo. The PM seems like the stock turbo on steroids, but as with steroids, there can be VERY bad side effects.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@rob99rt The 2867/2860 was my initial plan but two things are giving me pause; One is cost. The least expensive Gen 2 I've found from a reputable seller is double the cost of a PM, and then I have to add the cost of inlet pipes, downpipe, and a BOV. I'm not going to lie, pushing nearly 380 whp would be awesome but my wallet can't afford it. That would also delay my putting in other mods like a traction bar and LSD which are, to me, more important in effectively putting power down than exploring the limits of the fuel system. I'm maybe looking at WMI down the road but that'll be a while.

My goal was 300+ whp reliably on pump gas. I have 91/94 readily available and although there is one e85 pump in town I can't be arsed to play mix and match everytime I fuel up. It's just not that important to me for the sake of 20 hp and less mileage.

@junits15 D'oh! Makes sense if it uses the RS WG I suppose. And they do, Dv+T9360

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,834 Posts
Yes you will buy a focus RS wastegate actuator and a focus rs bypass valve.

The powermax is a stout little turbo and has its place moreso among hybrids. It does have a nice little bump in power that follows factory power curve. You'll enjoy it for sure. Alan is definitely the guy you want to tune it as well. Highly recommend e30 tune as well if you have it somewhere in a town around you.

·
Super Moderator
5,834 Posts
And @rob99rt he has valid reasons for not going big turbo at this time, i dont blame him.

LSD would be nice for sure.

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
Nope, don't blame him at all going with the PM route if that's his goal. Regarding the traction bar, the gusseted traction bar from @TB Performance Products is great. I took it off when I did the 2867 install and left it off while I waited on the Michael/junits elbow. Hoping to get those two items installed this weekend as traction issues have gone way up without the bar.. it hooked way better after the install, even on the stock turbo, so I expect it to also help traction now with the bigger turbo.

I was originally going to go with a bnr67, but thanks to a mid November bonus at work, it allowed me to get the ATP 2867 on a black Friday deal. Without the bonus and deal, I'd have been installing a bnr.

Agree with you on the need for an LSD in the car with the hp/tq levels you'll be at... I'm in desperate need of it now, I'm sure, but not enough $ in savings for that (yet).

Good luck on your build, and post pics and dyno info once you get it tuned.

Reactions: Coolpool

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
582 Posts
@rob99rt The 2867/2860 was my initial plan but two things are giving me pause; One is cost. The least expensive Gen 2 I've found from a reputable seller is double the cost of a PM, and then I have to add the cost of inlet pipes, downpipe, and a BOV. I'm not going to lie, pushing nearly 380 whp would be awesome but my wallet can't afford it. That would also delay my putting in other mods like a traction bar and LSD which are, to me, more important in effectively putting power down than exploring the limits of the fuel system. I'm maybe looking at WMI down the road but that'll be a while.

My goal was 300+ whp reliably on pump gas. I have 91/94 readily available and although there is one e85 pump in town I can't be arsed to play mix and match everytime I fuel up. It's just not that important to me for the sake of 20 hp and less mileage.

@junits15 D'oh! Makes sense if it uses the RS WG I suppose. And they do, Dv+T9360
If you are going to install a Powermax, I recommend you to install an aftermarket downpipe and catback to help the turbo breathe at the top end. Yes, the bottom end of the rpm has to get smooth out and the boost has to be limited at the top end. Yet, it makes a nice power all the way with the right tune. All my parameters looks good all the time and it can put out 24 psi.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was originally going to go with a bnr67, but thanks to a mid November bonus at work, it allowed me to get the ATP 2867 on a black Friday deal. Without the bonus and deal, I'd have been installing a bnr.
Where did you buy it from? I was looking for some sites that had deals, but couldn't find any.

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
Where did you buy it from? I was looking for some sites that had deals, but couldn't find any.
JST has been my go to for tuning and major power adders so far (purchased 4 tunes from him, an aem wmi kit, and the ATP 2867 kit. Others have had good success with other tuners (panda is more of a roll of the dice sometimes), but I've been happy with what Brian has done with the car so far. Therefore, I'll keep going back to him and throwing money his way. 🤑

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@STallion18 I'm running an AWE Res Touring already along with LTR7iX11s(one step colder plugs), ESP FMIC, Cobb intake and filter so the only mod I have left as far as inhalation and exhalation is the downpipe, turbo, and tune. I'm planning on a catted downpipe at some point as I want to stay emissions compliant. I know one of our members modded his stock downpipe to get rid of that stupid squashed portion and seemed pretty happy with it. There's no lack of qualified welders here that I could have do the work so that may be the route I'll go, or the CPe if the tax man gives me a healthy refund.
@rob99rt A large part of the reason I am going to put on the TB 4 point traction bar is from what you have said after you put yours on, so it's good to know how much of a difference it makes after the fact as well. I'll likely run the MFactory LSD, and while I'd like to diy it, I'll probably have a shop do it as I can't really afford to have my car down for an extended period.

·
Super Moderator
2,408 Posts
@STallion18I know one of our members modded his stock downpipe to get rid of that stupid squashed portion and seemed pretty happy with it.
Habriant40 did it and got good flow but ended up destroying his stock cat with a crackle tune, someone else says they made 360 off a modded DP. It definitely supports the flow and remains compliant at least in the short term.

If you do it let us know how it goes and how long it lasts for, I've been really curious about this kind of mod for a while.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
582 Posts
I think the modded stock DP will be good enough plus actually more efficient at processing the exhaust gases. I have a Wagner Tuning catted DP, it doesn’t trigger a CEL.

·
Registered
164 Posts
FYI. I pretty much run mine on e30 exclusively. Last month all the local e85 stations ran out. So I've been on 93 for the last month. 93 still makes more power than e30 and stock turbo. But ethanol is way better.

I switched back this past week. Went to pass a car on my way home from work and it surprised me when I went WOT. Poor person I passed probably thought I was drunk. Torque steer is real. 😅

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
2,134 Posts
FYI. I pretty much run mine on e30 exclusively. Last month all the local e85 stations ran out. So I've been on 93 for the last month. 93 still makes more power than e30 and stock turbo. But ethanol is way better.

I switched back this past week. Went to pass a car on my way home from work and it surprised me when I went WOT. Poor person I passed probably thought I was drunk. Torque steer is real. 😅
Yep, E30 is good stuff! 😊

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST2
97 Posts
I have been doing tons of reading on the different turbo options. Honestly, I’m seriously considering the powermax. I love the low end punch the car has now and don’t really want to lose that. I was originally thinking about the 2860 kit, but it seems the elbow is a problem with the ATP kits. I have a steeda FMIC, downpipe, catback and stage 3 JST tune. The car just doesn’t have enough top end.. it seems the powermax would fill that in while keeping the stock spool.. I’m debating it and the BNR 2867 which would of course be faster, but higher cost and worse low end. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
I have been doing tons of reading on the different turbo options. Honestly, I’m seriously considering the powermax. I love the low end punch the car has now and don’t really want to lose that. I was originally thinking about the 2860 kit, but it seems the elbow is a problem with the ATP kits. I have a steeda FMIC, downpipe, catback and stage 3 JST tune. The car just doesn’t have enough top end.. it seems the powermax would fill that in while keeping the stock spool.. I’m debating it and the BNR 2867 which would of course be faster, but higher cost and worse low end. Any thoughts?
I was in the same boat as you with the FBO setup and jst tune. I was originally going to go with the bnr67 from JST, but ended up just saving a little longer and going with the gtx 2867 gen 2. I also was able to pick up one of the Michael/junits elbows that eliminates the atp elbow issue with port mismatch and has way less turbulence in it than the ATP elbow as well. Can't wait to finish the tune process, but it'll have to wait until spring comes and I swap the tires and get better traction. As it is now, 28+ psi of boost just shreds the skinny snow tires at 60 mph.

Fwiw, I thought the car was quick before with a fbo setup and wmi, but there's just no comparison to what it is now. With the 2867, it's an entirely different animal thanks to another 100 HP on tap in the higher rpms. The car causes audible laughter from me every time I put my foot down now. I would probably look like an idiot to anybody around me, but I don't care... They're the ones driving the boring cars and I most definitely am not now.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
961 Posts
we have a new elbow design for IWG and EWG setups by a forum member here

·
Super Moderator
5,834 Posts
Having owned both the powermax and the gtx2860 on my car I'll say that the powermax retains nearly the same power curve as the stock turbo, just all around higher horsepower and it makes cool sounds. You basically take the stock curve and raise it with the PM.

The 2860 only loses a little bit of that initial punch. But the power just quickly grows into this freight train pull up to 7,000rpm. Very very broad and more natural feeling powerband. I have videos of both turbos murdering my tires.

The powermax

And the 2860

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST2
97 Posts
So is the new elbow something I can purchase? I thought I had read that whoever made them had stopped.. maybe I misinterpreted that. I like the appearance of traction for the powermax.. I’m more looking for a fun mountain road car and just wonder if the 2860 would be too much for that.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts