Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last weekend I lost the electric power steering on my otherwise no issues 2016 ST1 (bone stock, no mods). I took it to the dealer under warranty, they followed the trouble tree and it told them to put in a new rack. The parts department closed today (Oct 25) by the time I asked when the new rack might arrive.
Has anyone who has had this problem had a long wait for this part and also, does anyone know how expensive a rack is and how much labor it is to swap one out? Reason I ask is, since the thing died on me ten months in and with no severe use whatsoever, I'm wondering if I should bite on an otherwise wholly unwanted extended warranty so it keeps covering it for a while, in case it's a trouble area and it keeps on happening.
Thoughts? (Thanks in advance).

·
Registered
825 Posts
I would say the issue is just a fluke, and not likely to be a problem in the future.

One point about the Ford warranty is you can get a good discount on it from a few online Ford dealers.
You can also find the plan you want, get the online price, and get it at that price from your on dealer.
The one plus of buying it local is the refund if you end it early.
Online you have to go back to the online dealer to get the refund.
Local, it is your local dealer. There is NO direct refund from Ford. Period.

If you buy it in the first year, no added 'fee'. After the first year, the price is $100 EXTRA
The other part of this is your local dealer may just say sure, no problem.
Or they may claim it is impossible, can't be done at that price etc.
IF you stick to your guns, and just calmly explain they can do it or you will buy it online.
They might sell it to you.
When I bought my car, I went back and forth with the finance guy for half an hour
about how yes I can get the exact same Ford warranty at $xxx. He had endless excuses about how he could not do it.
Finally he DID offer $50 over the online price and I accepted. I am sure another twenty minutes could have gotten me the same price.

I got the $0 deduct.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So last weekend I lost the electric power steering on my otherwise no issues 2016 ST1 (bone stock, no mods). I took it to the dealer under warranty, they followed the trouble tree and it told them to put in a new rack. The parts department closed today (Oct 25) by the time I asked when the new rack might arrive.
Has anyone who has had this problem had a long wait for this part and also, does anyone know how expensive a rack is and how much labor it is to swap one out? Reason I ask is, since the thing died on me ten months in and with no severe use whatsoever, I'm wondering if I should bite on an otherwise wholly unwanted extended warranty so it keeps covering it for a while, in case it's a trouble area and it keeps on happening.
Thoughts? (Thanks in advance).
The electric rack and pinion on my last car (2015 Chrysler 200 v6) was a $3500 job after parts and labor. I don't know how this compares to the unit in an ST, so just use this as a reference. Needless to say, I traded that heap in on a new ST.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Power steering rack and pinion is about $1K for the part. They have to drop the front subframe to replace it so its not a quick repair. I would estimate $1500-1700. That said most aftermarket warranties are not worth what they cost. I would also say having a bad steering rack is really uncommon and its not a part that will effect any other systems. My car is 3.5 years old and 30K miles its been involved in one collision that did some extensive damage, including the rack. I also autocross my car A LOT over a dozen events this year 100+ runs. I have not had a single warranty issue or failure of any part on the car. You currently still have over 2 years of bumper to bumper warranty through ford.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
the power steering went out in my HHR after about 5 years, it was covered under a a bulletin/tsb.
It was just the electric motor that failed and was replaced in a few hours by the dealer.

IDK how much it would have costed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a power steering rack and pinion from a 2016 that I can sell you for much much cheaper than dealer price. It's fully working and from a 2016 ST

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"I have a power steering rack and pinion from a 2016 that I can sell you for much much cheaper than dealer price. It's fully working and from a 2016 ST"

PM sent

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Had power steering go out on me; it was a blown mega fuse. "

But something had to make the fuse blow, no?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update for those unfortunate enough to suffer the same fault. About four months to the day that my power steering failed the new rack finally arrived at the dealer from Ford. The parts department tells me that the part number for it changed a few times, indicating that the part may have been re-engineered (after four months I would hope so).
So the car goes in on Thursday to have the rack put in and they are going to file to try to get Ford to reimburse me for the four payments made during the time I could not drive the car, plus they will try to have them extend the warranty on the rack to the 100k mile point.
You'd think I'd bought something exotic, eh?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I always find these stories crazy, I've never had anything like this happen to me or really anyone I know so it seems so foreign. Obviously it happens but I just really hope it doesn't happen to me. It sounds like a nightmare!!

Reactions: MPranj

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it's not my only car and I would have put it away for Winter anyway, but still, four months? If they do reimburse me I'll be happy enough. I am dubious.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, it might just buy a few goodies (fingers crossed).
If anyone was wondering, the car is awful without the steering assist and trying to park with it was way worse than with a car that was designed to have manual steering, which would seem obvious.
And no, I did not keep driving it, that was just what I experienced on the 3 1/2 hour drive to get it home after the P/S failed in Niagara Falls.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another quick update: went to pickup my car today. When I arrived the new steering rack was in and was working normally. All there was to do was to clear a code which I guess was setting of the service soon light. Four hours later and with the technician pulling his hair out they could not clear the code.
I then got driven home by a porter in a crummy Nissan Sentra.
Sigh.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, it hasn't been fun. They called today and said the code is being set by a bad steering position sensor and that they'll have my car ready on Tuesday, now that it's nice and salty out after the recent snowfall. Makes me wonder if that sensor was the issue all along and they changed out the rack for nothing.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
oh boy... better not even think those thoughts.

·
Registered
825 Posts
For everyone else, the positive from this is the steering racks are now no longer on backorder.
The bad side of this is this... is the last year for ST.
So when they run out again.. It will be forever.
(I plan on remembering about this steering sensor. just in case...)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just got the car back today. They told me they just filed for $$$ for the wait and to see if they'll extend the warranty on the part. Dealer said Ford usually responds in about a month and I don't see why he has any reason to lie about that. I'll update either way once I know.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts