Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was doing some checks tonight because I’m going out of town tomorrow and noticed this. The past few days it has been difficult to put the vehicle into reverse. Any suggestions onn what it is and how to fix it? Thanks in advance!
It looks like your tower may be weeping a bit, but not as bad as some. It tends to pool up on top of the trans on the driver's side. Sometimes it is the sealant where the tower attaches to the trans case, or the vent gasket on the back of the tower. The solution is removing it and resealing everything. AFAIK the vent gasket is not available separately, and some people have had success sealing it up with gasket maker. I never could and bought a complete new tower from the RS which is identical except for an added magnet to catch filings in the fluid.

If it's not dripping fluid down the case, you've likely only lost a couple tablespoons over the cars lifespan. It's likely not low fluid causing your problem, but the pic is not too much to go on except the tower is weeping a little, it is common, and shifting difficulty likely lies elsewhere. Make sure no acorns or foreign objects are jamming any movement on top of the trans. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts