Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a Ford fan, as a matter of fact my first car was a older model '88 Mustang 5.0 LX hatchback. About a 2 years ago we bought my daughter her first car and it was a '13 Focus hatchback SE fully loaded and I have to say I REALLY liked the car. Shoot forward a couple of years and I find myself in need of a new car as well. I start looking around and find myself drawn to the ST. However, I have a few questions in terms of pricing. I've found a couple that I'm pretty much set on.

There is a used 2016 ST2 with 15k miles going for just shy of 21k It also has the optional wheels, moonroof and navigation. 2016 Ford Focus ST Navi,Sunroof for sale at Georgetown, TX

But there is also a 2017 ST3 going for just shy of 25k(with USAA discount) 2017 Ford Focus ST EcoBoost for sale at Georgetown, TX | Austin Dealer

My question is, are the full leather seats, ambient lighting, heated mirrors/steering(I live in Texas) and carbon fiber trim really worth the extra 4-5k?

To be honest, I think I'm a little more torn about the ambient lighting than the full leather seats :smile:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Don't forget about the premium wheels, and the HID headlights on the ST3.

Also if you get the '17, you have the opportunity to go to ST Octane Academy in Utah (within 1 year of purchase of a new ST).

I'd say go with the ST3 but I bought a '16 ST3 so...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I got a loaded '13 ST3 in December 2012. The only things I wouldn't care about again are the sunroof and NAV. The sunroof because I rarely use it. The NAV; don't get me wrong, it's a pretty nice unit. But updates cost a bunch, and there are several things that annoy me. 1) The speech recognition really just sucks and I just never use it any more. If you have to spend 15 minutes trying to get the NAV to recognize a street name then you just won't use it. 2) manual entry is just too slow, while using a smart phone with waze works nearly flawlessly. 3) It doesn't have some of the most common attractions in it's data. Example; Grandfather Mountain in NC, or Lynville Falls in NC. It doesn't even recognize the zip for these.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, I'm heavily leaning towards an ST3, I'm just not sure if I want to pony up an extra $75/month for it :(

Also, does the '16 ST2 not come with the HID lights? Plus the '16 I'm looking at already has the optional wheels as well

I looked up the 401a package and it's listed there

Code:
Equipment Group 401A – ST2 Package includes
HID headlamps; cornering lamps; Audio System from
Sony® with 10 speakers and HD Radio™ Technology;
SYNC® 3 Enhanced Voice Recognition Communications
and Entertainment System with 8" color LCD touch
screen in center stack with swiping capability, 911 Assist,®
AppLink™ and 2 smart-charging USB ports; dual-zone
electronic automatic temperature control; SiriusXM®
Satellite Radio with 6-month trial subscription; and
RECARO® partial leather-trimmed front bucket seats
Man I'm getting inundated by phone calls from dealers t his morning....thanks USAA for contacting every dealer in a 100mile radius and giving them my cell number! :sad:

·
Registered
39 Posts
15+ ST2's also get HID's. ST3 I believe you gain full leather Recaro's, driver side electric seat, heated seats, heated mirrors & carbon trim on 16+

·
Registered
102 Posts
My '17 ST2 has HIDs...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not to be a jerk, but that used ST2 price seems a bit high to me. I think you could find a new 2017 for about that price, after discounts.

One of the legit knocks on the Focus ST is that it doesn't hold its value all that well (especially when compared to a Subaru, or maybe even a VW). I think the deal on the 2017 ST3 is pretty good. I got my 2016 ST3 in December of last year for around that same price. With all of the dealers calling you, you're in a position to bargain. You can almost always find a deal on this car, too.

Plus, Ford offers strong financing on new cars (better than the rate I could have gotten through USAA, although I love that company).

So, I think you should choose between a new ST2 or ST3, given the dealer incentives and lower interest rate when purchasing a new car. Of course, if you can find an unmodded, low-mileage Focus ST, then that should be a much better deal. Keep in mind, though, that a lot of us drive these cars hard because they're so much fun.

The biggest difference between the ST2 and the ST3 are the seats. I love the full leather Recaros, but they are firm and supportive. I'm a husky guy--5'11" and around 230 pounds, but I find them really comfortable. But, you see a lot of fellows swapping out the Recaros on this forum for the ST1 seats. So, that should tell you something. Sit in both, and be honest with yourself about which you prefer.

The ST3 seat is powered, but if you're the only one driving it, you won't adjust it much, unless you like to fidget a lot. For me, the full leather seat and the sunroof are the big plusses. I also like the carbon-fiber trim, but it's not worth that much more.

Good luck hunting!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check the local dealerships for discounts. I just bought a '17 ST1 for Under $18k. It had $7k in rebates (ford+dealer) and they took off destination chargers. The deals are out there on new ones.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Check the local dealerships for discounts. I just bought a '17 ST1 for Under $18k. It had $7k in rebates (ford+dealer) and they took off destination chargers. The deals are out there on new ones.
...and they're still making money! Good deal!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts