Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
2014 Focus ST
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving for Doordash a couple days ago making deliveries. Driving for 20-30 minutes between stops with engine shutoffs in-between. I had the A/C set to auto LO, not max A/C. The fan was pushing some decent air volume. I get near my destination after driving up a winding hill, gaining a couple hundred feet in elevation in the process, when I hear a noise from the dash and a strong vibration. I figure out the noise is related to the fan setting, more noise/vibration the higher the setting. The noise and vibration don't change frequency, but the amplitude increases as the fan setting increases. Enough to cause the whole dash to shake at the highest setting. I change the temp to settle the fan down to a lower setting, and finish my deliveries.

The next day and since then I haven't been able to replicate the vibration. All fan settings work fine. Which leads me to try to think of what could cause the blower to be so unbalanced to vibrate that bad one day, and be fine the next. The only temporary thing I can think of is ice was building up on the squirrel cage, and it melted away after I parked at the end of the night.

Oh, and I'm grasping at straws because I really don't want to have replace the blower motor. It looks like a giant pain in the ass.

Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
I would suggest start by taking off the cowl cover and see if any debris in there.

Then take out cabin filter. Be sure you have shop vac attachments that can fit back in there.

Hasn't happened on my ST, but had a MZ3 before that had similar symptoms. I think it was debris on the fan instead of ice. Note the fan was BEFORE the cabin filter, which allows this to happen 馃檮. It self corrected also after sitting.

I haven't fixed my ST like the MS3 yet. Looks like the recirc flapper is first, because you can see it with the cowl cover off. On fresh setting, the flapper sticks out so you can't just glue a flat piece of screen over the opening.

Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
It is a possibility to ice the evaporator, especially when your cabin air filter is restricted. I've never seen ice accumulations on a fan before, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Or as mtnman suggested, it was debris that rolled itself out of the cage fan once it was shut down for the day. In our cars the cabin is before the fan.

Either case ends up in replacing the cabin filter (either freezing the evap or debris being allowed to get by). So I'd Recommend replacing that for sure.

Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
Cabin filters can vary a lot.

I tried one of those charcoal odor ones when I first got the car and could tell it restricted the fan more.
I've been satisfied using cheapish ones of eBay, but I do check the photos carefully because some of them are a little different - thinner, or don't have foam in the same places as the stock one.

Registered
2014 Focus ST
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got around to removing the glove box. I couldn't see anything in the squirrel cage. Nothing was broken, and everything works properly. Cowl covers are debris free and unbroken.

What's the likelihood of a rodent getting in there from the outside? I had one build a nest on top of the engine a couple months ago. He got run over after I threw a piece of cheese on the street next to the car that he couldn't resist. Would the cowl covers need to be broken?

I've left the glove box of for now, and I'm keeping the tools needed in the car for the time being.

Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
Finally got around to removing the glove box. I couldn't see anything in the squirrel cage. Nothing was broken, and everything works properly. Cowl covers are debris free and unbroken.

What's the likelihood of a rodent getting in there from the outside? I had one build a nest on top of the engine a couple months ago. He got run over after I threw a piece of cheese on the street next to the car that he couldn't resist. Would the cowl covers need to be broken?

I've left the glove box of for now, and I'm keeping the tools needed in the car for the time being.
Those little guys can get in just about any car, i have no idea how.

Did you replace Your cabin filter? He couldn't make it down to the squirrel Cage unless he chewed through the cabin filter

Reactions: MtnMan
1 - 6 of 6 Posts