Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy fellas. Just got my compression check back and ive got zero compression on two of the cylinders and 60psi ish on the other two. No knocking or clanking sounds when ran but obviously wont idle. From what i am gathering it ring lands and exaust valves seem to be a repeat offender in the blown motor resource thread but i havent seen a total compression loss case like this in there Anyone have any ideas why compression would be lost to this degree in all 4 cylinders? Mods:bov,tune,BT. Thanks gents
oh ps. When it first lost it it was pissing oil out my blow off valve and making white smoke so posibly turbo issue too but i personally dont understand how that could cause this level of compression loss

Registered
headgasket or rings is my guess. Any smoke from the exhaust leading up to this, what color? Have you emptied the oil, find anything that shouldnt be there? Any change to coolant level?

2017 Kona Blue ST1
0 psi or 60 psi? Between all four cylinders? I would double check that Compression tester. That's crazy. 馃槼

Reactions: FoMoST

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
headgasket or rings is my guess. Any smoke from the exhaust leading up to this, what color? Have you emptied the oil, find anything that shouldnt be there? Any change to coolant level?
no smoke until i lost compression on the road. but when it did it was white. And not yet. It happened far from home so i cant do my regular hands on work and troubleshooting.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
0 psi or 60 psi? Between all four cylinders? I would double check that Compression tester. That's crazy. 馃槼
no you heard me right. 2 of the 4 had no compression at all and the other 2 were 61 and 57 if i remember correctly.

Premium Member
no smoke until i lost compression on the road. but when it did it was white. And not yet. It happened far from home so i cant do my regular hands on work and troubleshooting.
White smoke is coolant right? Yeah could be a blown head gasket. Wild that it鈥檚 affecting all four cylinders though

Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
Do these cars have any issues with head lift?

Super Moderator
Do these cars have any issues with head lift?
It's been more of an issue with the open deck 2.3L block, but throw enough volume and boost and you can get the head to lift.

It's time for a leakdown test on all four cylinders. That will tell you exactly where the wind is going in each individual cylinder.

Registered
Sounds like a head gasket or since it's all 4 cylinders possibly a warped head. Turbo would be blue smoke not white. Since you're tuned you might be able to get some info from your AP3. You can also check coolant level. Low coolant is an indicator. Sometimes you'll get oily residue in the overflow bottle and with the numbers you mentioned it's very possible you have oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil. Last but not least pull the dipstick and see what your oil looks like. If it's light brown or lighter thats another give away. Thats all I got. Good luck bud, sorry for your troubles.

Premium Member
This one is too weird to leave us hangin...we need updates!

馃槀

This one is too weird to leave us hangin...we need updates!

馃槀
My initial thought is he jumped time. Timing off -> bent valves -> no squeeze. But again, a leakdown test is necessary to tell you exactly whats up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry gang. This happened half way through a move but the old girl will be in tonight by haul and ill see if i can get that leakdown test done soon. More to follow and thanks for all the tips.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
No update on the leak down test but i wanted to see if anyone thinks its a turbo issue. Every time i get it running it pisses a good bit of oil out of the blow off valve which is located down under my left tire. My hypothesis is that the turbo is leaking oil in to the cold air side and getting in my combustion chambers and causing all the smoke and leaking in to my BOV pipe on the way there. My coolant level is fine and the Reservoir never bubbles and the smoke is more blue that white. What do you guys think and has anyone seen this before?
Thanks 鉂

Registered
2013 Focus ST moondust silver
Has your oil turned to crap? Is it a milky brown colour at all?
Other than that I'm leaning toward the rings being shagged!

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
No no milkshake already checked for that. But the only way i can think of oil getting to the blow off valve is from the turbo. And since its leaking i could have my BOV stuck open which could be causing my compression issues

Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
valves or rings....? definitely need leak down. Bad pcv can get you oil there also.

Registered
2013 Focus ST moondust silver
Well sounds like your going to be pulling stuff apart to have a look, I wish you luck 鉁

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
valves or rings....? definitely need leak down. Bad pcv can get you oil there also.
Even to the BOV? Thats b4 the throtle and air valve entirely. Im not certain but i doubt oil could go back up woth the force of the air injection.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts