Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Portland area folks with a high flow catted downpipe deal with the DEQ?

I'm currently running a COBB high flow catted dp with the 420 code suppressed in a custom tune from Surgeline. Having a big turbo installed in a couple of weeks and went with a kit that would allow me to swap in the stock dp as a last resort. I'd really like to avoid that if possible but not sure what else I can do.

I've run an OTS stage 2 and the 420 ready fails right away sometimes and other times takes a day or so.

Any practical advice? Anyone running a similar exhaust setup with a defouler? Surgeline will help me out when it comes time to hit the DEQ but I'd like to know if anyone has dealt with this first hand.

Thanks

· Registered
2,681 Posts
I ran my Depo 100 cell catted downpipe with stock tune four over 2 weeks with a defouler installed. Never threw a code. I have since gone stage 3.but when I get my custom tune I plan on having them leave all monitors active. I used the vibrant J defouler and with the catted pipe I used the middle-sized insert. Work perfectly with no issues. Just make sure once the downpipe is reinstalled the defouler has a slight upwards angle so no liquids can collect around your O2 sensor.

Attachments

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran my Depo 100 cell catted downpipe with stock tune four over 2 weeks with a defouler installed. Never threw a code. I have since gone stage 3.but when I get my custom tune I plan on having them leave all monitors active. I used the vibrant J defouler and with the catted pipe I used the middle-sized insert. Work perfectly with no issues. Just make sure once the downpipe is reinstalled the defouler has a slight upwards angle so no liquids can collect around your O2 sensor.
Excellent tip. Thanks, man. Who's doing your custom tune? Chris at Surgeline did my stage 3 custom after I had the LSD installed and it's pretty rowdy now.

· Registered
2,681 Posts
Excellent tip. Thanks, man. Who's doing your custom tune? Chris at Surgeline did my stage 3 custom after I had the LSD installed and it's pretty rowdy now.

I think I'll probably go with jst heard nothing but good things about him. Also considering stratified. Just for the crackles and pops LOL. I think it would be fun occasionally. There's a shop the next town over that has a Dyno and they want $600 too tune my St. I don't know anything about them or if they know anyting about to EcoBoost platform or not. I think they mostly work on Hondas and such.but $600 seems a little steep when I can get a tune for around $200 and just do some data logs for revisions.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll probably go with jst heard nothing but good things about him. Also considering stratified. Just for the crackles and pops LOL. I think it would be fun occasionally.
Right on. Both good options. My previous tune was Stratified and the mild rice krispies is LOVELY.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I was editing the post.yeah I haven't really heard bad things about either tuner other than sometimes stratified can take a little longer than people like.
My initial tune from them took 14 days. Subsequent tweaks about 2.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'll probably go with jst heard nothing but good things about him. Also considering stratified. Just for the crackles and pops LOL. I think it would be fun occasionally. There's a shop the next town over that has a Dyno and they want $600 too tune my St. I don't know anything about them or if they know anyting about to EcoBoost platform or not. I think they mostly work on Hondas and such.but $600 seems a little steep when I can get a tune for around $200 and just do some data logs for revisions.
Ah, I see your edit. I don't know how close you are to Tigard, but Chris at Surgeline will do a dyno tune for $400 and he knows the Ecoboost platform. He was at COBB for years in TX before moving out here. He tuned a ton of subies but knows Ford as well. He'll also provide you with a nerfed map (7lbs psi) a midrange at 18 and performance at 22. You can switch them on the fly using the cruise control buttons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.