Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have noticed that my ST seems to vary in the loudness and frequency of pops and crackles when driving. In similar driving conditions and temps some times I will get louder pops than others. Could it be gas? Ambient temp? Oil/engine temp?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey guys. I have noticed that my ST seems to vary in the loudness and frequency of pops and crackles when driving. In similar driving conditions and temps some times I will get louder pops than others. Could it be gas? Ambient temp? Oil/engine temp?

Has anyone else experienced this?

It's just due to how we had to build in the pops and crackles, makes it sound a bit more realistic IMO

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So sometimes it's louder than others under similar driving conditions by design?

·
Registered
126 Posts
So sometimes it's louder than others under similar driving conditions by design?

It's not necessarily by design, it's a limitation of how the pops and crackles are being produced. It just so happens as a side effect of that is you don't get the same exact set of pops everytime like the RS.

Which for me I tend to a enjoy the ST version pops a bit more. I have my tune setup a bit different than the currently available pops and crackles tune.

My setup just has crackles and burbles below 5000rpm and the you get loud pops and bangs above 5000rpm

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not necessarily by design, it's a limitation of how the pops and crackles are being produced. It just so happens as a side effect of that is you don't get the same exact set of pops everytime like the RS.

Which for me I tend to a enjoy the ST version pops a bit more. I have my tune setup a bit different than the currently available pops and crackles tune.

My setup just has crackles and burbles below 5000rpm and the you get loud pops and bangs above 5000rpm

Oh so the pops and crackles can be adjusted? That's intriguing. I would love to tweak mine. I might even want to do something similar to yours.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oh so the pops and crackles can be adjusted? That's intriguing. I would love to tweak mine. I might even want to do something similar to yours.
IIRC, fingerthief is running custom crackles. I don't believe crackles and pops are end user adjustable.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh no I know that. I would have the guys at Stratified do it

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been trying to see if gas from different stations, ambient temp, etc has had an affect. Perhaps crappy CA winter blend?

I would go back to a catless DP, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of swapping back if the CEL pops up again for random misfire.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've noticed that I get louder/more aggressive pops on my 93 tune vs e30 tune.

It's night and day between the two tunes for me as well. The 93 tune will at times pop and gurgle between low rpm shifts and with the corn juice tune, it's almost non-existent even in the higher rev range.

Reactions: Zeek

·
Registered
408 Posts
It's night and day between the two tunes for me as well. The 93 tune will at times pop and gurgle between low rpm shifts and with the corn juice tune, it's almost non-existent even in the higher rev range.
Good, I thought I was crazy and it was only me. Lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here's a quick video of the custom pops and crackles I'm running currently on an E40 mix.

Mild burbles and crackles below 5000rpm and loud quick pops and bangs above 5000rpm.

·
Vendor
2,561 Posts
The difference between E30 and 93 comes down to the E30 having higher octane ... and not lighting off as easily when you lift. There is a minute amount of fuel that lights off in the combustion chamber (and I mean minute!) so with E30 there just may not be enough fuel and heat in there to set it off all the time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I´m in for adjustable pops! Would prefer NO pops at low rpms, while crusing. I drive a lot and also in heavy traffic, sometimes it´s a bit annoying to hear it after every single shift. But when I lift the foot at high rpms there could be a bit more POP POP POP :smile:

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think if I had a wishing wand... I'd leave the crackle type as is... But turn it off between 3k and 4k. This gives you the low rpm rumble and high rpm pops... But gives you a shift point to disable if you want (and quite frankly they just don't sound as good at that rpm)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts