Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum is depressing me. It's plagued with St owners looking for solutions and sharing nightmares of their experiences of the St.
I'd like to see how many users have had positive experiences. Do you have buyers regret? State the year of your car , how long you own it , is it stock or modded and whether or not you have or had problems with it or not.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
People come to forums for solutions and to gripe about an issue. Keep in mind a forum is usually only a fraction of actual owners. This place is usually to educate and attempt to help if a problem arises. There are a few regulars around that use this forum to shoot the $hit, me being one, but past that, this is a place where you come when you have issues. I have 0 remorse on buying my ST, my only regret is I should have gotten and ST2. I love those seats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts
Bought my Kona ST2 almost 1 year ago brand new (Bought it May 16th last year and I'm over 19k miles lol). Haven't had any issues thus far and I'm already at stage 3! I've done everything myself, I mean EVERYTHING. I love my car and I'm so excited to keep on going. I've dragged it once, but honestly every time I get in my car I get excited to drive it. Now that I'm fully bolted I need to upgrade chassis bracing, suspension, and wheels (For looks and driveability). After that maybe I'll look at going big turbo.

All the s*** I have seen on this forum has helped me as well as all the positive stories I've seen. Noobs to senior or supporting members are helpful, even the nay-sayers dare I say...Their pessimism leads members to prove their own stories and show how awesome this car and this community is.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
LOVE my car... I dream of driving it every night and then I drive it every day... literally very few days go by that I don't drive her.

I have 41k miles and drive 400+ miles a week.

Car now is stock other than Greddy exhaust and a Shift knob.

I have had 0 issues! call me lucky? whatever. I do oil changes and keep an eye on fluids.

I drive it hard on the weekends and "moderately" back and forth to work

I agree with the above... if you are digging you can find the wrong with every car ever made.... no 1 car has no issues.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess you are right. People usually turn to forums for help so most will have problems they are trying to fix. Do you think the St is reliable enough to be the only car? Can it be your commuter? It is now my only car. It is now free of any problems for 2 weeks of the 2 months of owning it. It's a 2013 St2 10,000 miles and had engine wiring harness issues. The recall was performed in 2014 when the previous owner had it but it started acting up on me. All I did was tug and move the harness and the problem went away. Took it to the dealer they inspected it and cleaned connectios and found a hose that had a little kink but found nothing concrete. The car was running fine after I touched the harness. Not too comforting.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
There are some problems but most of the posts I see (and I check like ALL of them) are about people looking for advice on parts or installation help. Yeah there are things a lot of people change which I guess could make the ST look bad, but to me it's strong aftermarket is a positive sign. I don't really get a negative vibe from this place, and when I do its mostly about a dealer issue.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Here is the thing with forums...and this is EVERY forum usually. Let's say you are NOT a regular on this forum. As in, you aren't someone who gets on like myself to see if anything interesting happened, or take part in discussion, or see if you can help someone somehow. If you're that person, then you wake up one day and your car starts normally and you drive to work. Hate yourself at work but go home at the end of the day and the car runs 100% perfectly. Guess what, you were never inclined to get on the forum. Your neighbor who owns an ST is just like you. He barely gets on the forums and what not. He wakes up, his car does NOT start and runs like sh*t once it finally starts up. Suddenly, he wants to get answers. He outsources to no better place than this forum and makes a post asking for help.

See the difference? He NEEDED answers. The reason why this forum has more bad than good is because it is a place for finding and also sharing answers to issues and questions. Like said previously, only a SMALL percentage of ST owners even know that this website exists. Most often than not you will see an ST somewhere, wave, and never find out who that person was despite asking on here.

There is a reason we have such a highly regarded vehicle that is so loved by many alike, including myself. And it is rated up there/above (varies) the nearest competitors (WRX/MS3/GTI) in reliability/performance/etc. Nothing to worry about. Yeah, modding brings on issues on its own also, but that's a risk to accept when you buy the mod.

·
Administrator
11,892 Posts
This forum is depressing me. It's plagued with St owners looking for solutions and sharing nightmares of their experiences of the St.
I'd like to see how many users have had positive experiences. Do you have buyers regret? State the year of your car , how long you own it , is it stock or modded and whether or not you have or had problems with it or not.
About three years now, heavily modified, 65k miles, driven hard.

Synchros went at 40k, mods and abuse caused it
Clutch master went at 50k, mods most likely caused it

I love my ST. Fun to drive, easy to wrench. Nice community.

A sweet niche driver's car.

Kinda want to buy another one. Track it out. Maybe an RS too.

No gripes, no regrets. Just fun and learning.

If you have too much free time, grab a sandwich and read my build thread, lol. Its all in there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in Brooklyn NY and drive to work daily (11 miles each way) and I drive it on weekends too. I have seen 1 other st on the road in 2 months and that was in NJ. Lol. I really love the car. Why aren't there more out there? I see other vehicles in its class at least 5 times a day ( the VW's, the Subarus) but not the st's. Was thinking that maybe those people were on to something.

·
Registered
462 Posts
2016 ST1. Owned since september 29th '16. Solo daily driver, 11k miles driven. Love it as stock anf plan to keep it that way.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
You're going to want to drink a beer too if you read Mr. @Duece McCracken 's thread as well. Quite the tale of the beast within.

Edit: I just think everyone needs to not get blinded by the very small amount of ST problems they see here in contrast to HOW MANY STs ACTUALLY EXIST

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I had my 2015 bought back by Ford after months of stress and anger.

It was the worst new car ownership experience I could have ever imagined.

And for some reason, I got another one. Clearly I am ill.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I purchased my car brand new in Aug. of 2013. As of today I'm closing in on 87k miles. I've been "stage 3" for most of those miles. It's my only car so it sees DD use, spirited canyon/mountain road carving (when I lived in SoCal), and has been on plenty of road trips. I was fortunate enough to find this forum right after I bought it and it's been an invaluable asset in the ownership experience of my car. The key is to actively participate. I generally browse here daily to see what's new. I don't have a ton of posts to my name, but if I see a topic that interests me or I find a thread I feel I can contribute something worthwhile to I will. I consider some of these guys on here friends even if I only know them by their screen name and we never meet in person. I rock a #LylaStrong decal on my car simply because that story touched my heart (although I think @LeroyJenkins recently sold his ST). Is this car perfect? Hell no! I've had issues, some mod induced while others seem to just be ghosts in the machine lol! However, anytime I think about getting rid of mine I hesitate because of all the memories made over the course of all those miles. Plus I still enjoy rolling up on a fellow ST to acknowledge one another and see the many different types of people who share an enthusiasm for this platform.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I purchased my car brand new in Aug. of 2013. As of today I'm closing in on 87k miles. I've been "stage 3" for most of those miles. It's my only car so it sees DD use, spirited canyon/mountain road carving (when I lived in SoCal), and has been on plenty of road trips. I was fortunate enough to find this forum right after I bought it and it's been an invaluable asset in the ownership experience of my car. The key is to actively participate. I generally browse here daily to see what's new. I don't have a ton of posts to my name, but if I see a topic that interests me or I find a thread I feel I can contribute something worthwhile to I will. I consider some of these guys on here friends even if I only know them by their screen name and we never meet in person. I rock a #LylaStrong decal on my car simply because that story touched my heart (although I think @LeroyJenkins recently sold his ST). Is this car perfect? Hell no! I've had issues, some mod induced while others seem to just be ghosts in the machine lol! However, anytime I think about getting rid of mine I hesitate because of all the memories made over the course of all those miles. Plus I still enjoy rolling up on a fellow ST to acknowledge one another and see the many different types of people who share an enthusiasm for this platform.
I agree with this, and I've also made quite a friends whom I've never and probably will never meet on here. I came around after the #LylaStrong stickers and stuff were originally being dispersed, but have read the story behind it and definitely has my support. That example shows the brightest side of this forum, the side that comes together to show support for each other. This is technically off topic but I felt the need to comment on it anyway.

No matter how many minor issues I've had with my car (almost perfect after 10 months (20k miles) of DDing the car) it's still less than any other car I've owned.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I live in Brooklyn NY and drive to work daily (11 miles each way) and I drive it on weekends too. I have seen 1 other st on the road in 2 months and that was in NJ. Lol. I really love the car. Why aren't there more out there? I see other vehicles in its class at least 5 times a day ( the VW's, the Subarus) but not the st's. Was thinking that maybe those people were on to something.
First: If you know everything and don't need any guidance at all and nothing breaks, you don't really create new threads on forums, you may comment on threads and answer questions, but that person probably isn't asking for advice that often. If your car is broken down all the time or you don't know what you're doing, you're the guy making new threads on a forum. That alone should leave you at ease.

Second: Subaru and VW have a much larger and more well established fan base and aren't as new so people resort to them quicker. They often get those cars as a status symbol, simply just to have a GTI and their friends think a GTI is cool and a WRX for the same reason. If the FoST sticks around long enough, we'll have a community the size of VW or Subaru one day too. Although, I hope we maintain a tighter knit community instead of turning into your stereotypical VW or Subaru guys. For me, I test drove a 2017 6 spd WRX and my buddies auto GTI. GTI interior was unimpressive, it's priced nearly the same as an ST2 or WRX Premium and it's not as powerful. WRX was certainly quicker, you could tell it had a bigger turbo for sure, but I didn't like the shifter and the interior. I've always loved the look of FoST and I felt more at home in it.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
i like my ST.. i dont regret buying it cause its a badass little car... i do regret purchasing it KNOWING I wanted to be in a new GT in a couple years anyways. I had no idea the resale was so terrible. I had the money to buy a GT premium when I got my ST but said, nah I'll do a hot hatch for 2-3 years then sell it for a GT. Didnt know id lose $15k doing that!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
3+ years of ownership
DD (most days) and sometimes track car
Just turned 30k miles on Saturday while on a track actually

Tuned since about 3k miles
Stage 3 since about 20k miles
Heavily modded in most every way from brakes, suspension, to stereo.

Problems on the track:
Brake fluid boils (fixed with ducting mod)
Oil gets too hot (installed oil cooler)
Coolant gets too hot (water wetter and the oil cooler helped)
Broken brake rotor (still figuring this out)

Problems not on the track:
Hatch misaligned from the factory, and needed repainted twice
Upstream O2 sensor fizzled, mods likely helped

I still love it as others have said. I am hoping someday to make it a dedicated track and autoX car and get something else, but I'd likely still want it to be street capable because I really love flicking it around and using my bro off valve on kids.

·
Registered
162 Posts
13 ST3 FSWERKS stage 2 MBRP fatback, CPE intercooler, cai. 34000 miles. Canyon, mountain, high-speed straight aways , live in Arizona subject to high ambient temperature s......No PROBLEMS tons of??????

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess I spoke too soon. I knew the wierd idle was going to come back and today is the day it decided to revisit. I know it's the harness. Going over to the stalling forum now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I love my car, but sometimes my car does not love me.

Recalls, TSBs, breakdowns, and other quirks make me question my decision. But then I put my foot down and the doubt goes away momentarily and I smile. It is good when its good and bad when its bad. Like any relationship.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts