Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I haven't moved very far into this car yet, but I do have high hopes for it!

I bought it just short of a year ago up in New Jersey. The car is a Phantom Black Metallic 2005 Pontiac GTO with a 6-speed manual and, at the time, had 37k miles on the odometer. It was listed way below similar mileage GTO's around my area, so I knew there was going to be issues heading up to look at it. When we test drove it, I felt the clutch dead pedal at higher RPM's, the rear springs felt and looked collapsed, and being a black Jersey car, it has it's share of cosmetic issues. But it was a hell of a price at the time, and I felt up to fixing the issues and building myself a nice mid to low 11 second weekend cruiser.

A picture the week after getting her:

IMG_57394324190068_zpsad3fafaa.jpeg

I think it was the night we brought her home that I jumped online and ordered a set of OBX longtube headers with catless mids and a bassani catback, a monster stage 2 clutch with a tick master and a remote bleed system(makes changing clutch fluid 10 times easier), and threw in a B&M short shifter top top it off. While waiting for all of those goodies, I did what all the dope car enthusiasts do. I dipped my wheels, bro.

Dipped wheels, bro:

DSC_0087_zpsb3598d5f.jpg

Eventually I got everything in and figured it would be a pretty quick process to get the car right. Long story short, the headers were a b!tch, I found the carrier bearing to the driveshaft was missing a large chunk, the previous clutch was all sorts of f#cked and had left over a mess, the rear main seal was leaking, and in the middle of all of this, the radiator decided to crack on the damn lift. Not exactly things I had hoped for, but oh well. Throw in a new OEM radiator and a one piece aluminum driveshaft and everything got handled. I was happy with everything but the B&M. It's a bit too notchy for my taste, but still a huge improvement over stock.

Late night out during Spring Cruisin':

19ybsfe.jpg

I spent the front end of last summer running my now departed Cobalt at the track, but in July I finally got the GTO out since I had destroyed the clutch in the Cobalt. I ate humble pie. Between being unfamiliar with the car at the track, sh!tty all seasons, and still running the stock tune, I managed a best of 13.6x and went home tail between my legs. At this point, I had overblown my allowance on cars between the thousands into the Cobalt and the GTO. With some sweet talk and promises to work on our house over the winter, the wife gave in to one last mod. A canned tune from TSP. Not ideal, but I felt major gains down low and in the mid range, and a nice bump up top. I made the trek up to Cecil County ;ate in the year and pulled off a 12.8x with significantly better driving, the better tune, and the fact that Cecil is a way faster track then my local US13.

Random summer picture:

Yp9aNTj.jpg

True to my word, we've been busy updating appliances in our house and some other things this winter, so the GTO has, for the most part sat in the garage collecting dust. I swapped the red tails for a set of clear/black 2006 tails, pulled the dip off, got a black tag(a Delaware thing), and took it out about once a month to keep the tires round and the gas good. I'm ordering a set of 275/40r17 Nitto NT555R's for the rear and going to be working on suspension hopefully this spring. From there I haven't decided.

Snow shot(f#ck you, snow):

kwbBowG.jpg

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have an 06 that I bought new, scary to think it will be 10 years old next Feb.

It's a fun car and relatively easy to work on. Mine has 52k on it at this point. I probably put 5k miles on in the last 5 years.

I have full bolt ons. The biggest improvements I did were definitely suspension bushings and GMM shifter. Then the Pedders GSR stuts and big bore rear shocks with springs. Power is fun, but didn't really add to the driving enjoyment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks good dude, I would like to pick up a GTO at some point as a project car.

·
1,976 Posts
Slap a bottle on that ride and have some fun!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone.

Quality knock offs - obx ftw.
When I saw the kooks price tag at $1,300 I about **** myself. A friend with a v1 CTS-V pointed me to the $500 OBX's and said they were great for the price. $800 less? Deal. I was so relieved when I got them in to see they were actually good quality.

I have an 06 that I bought new, scary to think it will be 10 years old next Feb.

It's a fun car and relatively easy to work on. Mine has 52k on it at this point. I probably put 5k miles on in the last 5 years.

I have full bolt ons. The biggest improvements I did were definitely suspension bushings and GMM shifter. Then the Pedders GSR stuts and big bore rear shocks with springs. Power is fun, but didn't really add to the driving enjoyment.
The plan is new strut mounts, King HHD springs, and koni shocks & struts. Already done the radius rod bushings and swaybar bushings.

Slap a bottle on that ride and have some fun!
Once I get this suspension worked out I'd like to send the stock 243 heads to Advanced Induction and throw in a healthy sized cam with a dyno tune at RPM in Delaware. Depending on finances, I may settle for the cam only first and get the head work done down the road.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You can do 450 to the wheels if you get lucky with a big cam and fast 90. A few guys had HPE S-cams and full bolt ons to 450 whp.

one day I'll get an s-cam in my car for that lumpy idle and then I'll probably need to put mufflers on.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nick Rose says to stop photographing with a potato.

Looks good.

I was a the width of an ass hair away from purchasing a GTO.
Blame me, not the Nikon. lol

Are you planning on keeping it all motor? You might need to make a little over 450 whp to go low 11s. Excuse my ignorance though, does the GTO have an IRS, can it launch decent?
With AI's full port job on the stock 243's, the right size cam, and a better intake manifold I should get in the 470-490whp range. I think low 11's would be possible at Cecil or Atco, but anything better then mid 11's would be icing on the cake. Building up the engine for boost or just stroking it wouldn't be worth it just to but me at a speed or E.T. where they kick me off the track. I'm not doing a roll bar or a cage. It's a weekend cruiser above all else. I'm still trying to convince the wife we need a 87-93 foxbody for a real track car.

And the GTO is IRS. I plan on replacing the stubs and axles at some point with some goodies from G-Force1320. There have been guys in the 10's with turbo builds on the stock rear. Others have bombed running 12's. I'll be looking for 1.6x-1.7x 60's on a 275mm 26 inch ET Street and hoping for the best.

·
Vendor
1,879 Posts
Blame me, not the Nikon. lol

With AI's full port job on the stock 243's, the right size cam, and a better intake manifold I should get in the 470-490whp range. I think low 11's would be possible at Cecil or Atco, but anything better then mid 11's would be icing on the cake. Building up the engine for boost or just stroking it wouldn't be worth it just to but me at a speed or E.T. where they kick me off the track. I'm not doing a roll bar or a cage. It's a weekend cruiser above all else. I'm still trying to convince the wife we need a 87-93 foxbody for a real track car.

And the GTO is IRS. I plan on replacing the stubs and axles at some point with some goodies from G-Force1320. There have been guys in the 10's with turbo builds on the stock rear. Others have bombed running 12's. I'll be looking for 1.6x-1.7x 60's on a 275mm 26 inch ET Street and hoping for the best.
I owned a foxbody for 9 years. Built it up and had so much fun with it. If you get a fox, it's like the gates to heaven open up. You have literally every option available to make the fastest car for the lowest expenditures. For christs sake, a forged stroker kit for that car is 900 dollars last time I checked.

I am just dreaming, but if I do ever get a fox again it will be a hatch like my 91 with recaros, 4.10s, 347 stroker sitting under AFR 225s and a trickflow stage 3 cam with solid rollers, spin it to 7500 with a 75 shot. Of course, all this needs to be done inside a dart sportsman, stock blocks like to split in half at 500 hp (mains rock back n forth at those power levels).

Ahhh memory lane.. Loved my fox, good times... So much.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I owned a foxbody for 9 years. Built it up and had so much fun with it. If you get a fox, it's like the gates to heaven open up. You have literally every option available to make the fastest car for the lowest expenditures. For christs sake, a forged stroker kit for that car is 900 dollars last time I checked.

I am just dreaming, but if I do ever get a fox again it will be a hatch like my 91 with recaros, 4.10s, 347 stroker sitting under AFR 225s and a trickflow stage 3 cam with solid rollers, spin it to 7500 with a 75 shot. Of course, all this needs to be done inside a dart sportsman, stock blocks like to split in half at 500 hp (mains rock back n forth at those power levels).

Ahhh memory lane.. Loved my fox, good times... So much.
Or swap an f4te 351 and not worry about block split haha.

Also @EFoxwell nice gto! I know a few people with them and it seems to be a love/hate relationship with them.

·
Vendor
1,879 Posts
Or swap an f4te 351 and not worry about block split haha.

Also @EFoxwell nice gto! I know a few people with them and it seems to be a love/hate relationship with them.
might as well do the 408 stroker if you're gonna do the 351W

·
Registered
201 Posts
Good job sticking w/ it! Sounds like its much better shape now than when you first got it. I've owned my GTO for...jesus its been 7 years now. Longest I've ever owned any car. haha. I just cant give this thing up. I just hope you have better luck w/ that b&m shifter than I did. It wouldnt have been my first choice but it was already in the car when I bought it. Until a bolt snapped in it.

Then I purchased and installed an mgw-p shifter and could not be happier. It is amazing.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Going real hard on the build here in 2015:

xvjrgsJ.jpg

WHOOP WHOOP

Good job sticking w/ it! Sounds like its much better shape now than when you first got it. I've owned my GTO for...jesus its been 7 years now. Longest I've ever owned any car. haha. I just cant give this thing up. I just hope you have better luck w/ that b&m shifter than I did. It wouldnt have been my first choice but it was already in the car when I bought it. Until a bolt snapped in it.

Then I purchased and installed an mgw-p shifter and could not be happier. It is amazing.

I'm under the impression that B&M revised their product somewhere along the line and I have the "revised" version, or so the guy at Maryland Speed told me. Either way, it was half the price of the MGW, so I can't get too mad if it fails on me. I beat the hell out of it last year at the strip and in general, and it's been okay. I flushed the trans fluid and put in some Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF (I know T-56 trans fluid has been a huge debate among GTO owners) and it's been better, though still notchy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts