Ford Focus ST Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Pepper's Totals
543 runs total, 393 runs so far in 2019... 52 runs on 3rd set of RE-71Rs, 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s and 143 runs on 2nd set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs and 79 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS and 23 runs on scrap RE-71Rs
[second set of RE-71R tires retired after 143 runs!!]
[first set of RE-71R tires retired after my 88 + Hoffmaw's 16 runs = 104 runs]
[scrap set of RE-71R tires that came on a set of OZ rims retired after 23 runs]
$4.52 per run in entry & membership fees for 2019 season
18116 miles on odometer (~1300 miles are not related to autocrosses)
27.2 mpg for 2019 season

My final weekend of autocross for the season. The weather warmed up a bit and was pretty decent after a frosty week. It's getting to be too cold & dark & rainy for wanting to attend any more. Typical of Bridge City Autosports, Saturday was a two course practice session and Sunday was a single course competition day.

Saturday
More tire experiments, where I ran on the very tired 255s in the 48-52F morning and the half dead 245s in the 57-60F afternoon. The 245s slide just a touch more in sustained corners, but I seemed to do about equally well with either set. Top PAX on the shorter morning course by 0.091 seconds of 59 people and third PAX in the afternoon by 0.158 seconds of 52 people. Not really sure why 7 people didn't bother with the afternoon session after paying for the whole day.

Sunday
Started out doing okay, but then kind of fizzled around the 5th run. I think the over-140 run Bridgestone RE-71R tires were giving up, especially that right front tire on a course that was mostly putting wear there. Plus I was overcharging one of the early corners and would end up a smidge wide... a rare situation where you should not add throttle exiting a 100-degree corner because you had to turn back the other way and pinched the next corner badly if you went wide. If I had it to do over... LOL.

It's been good having a buddy who can actually challenge me in superclass with his FoRS. We're the same age and this is only his second year (and third car!) for autocrossing. This was his first weekend to beat me at BCA while we swapped wins a couple times in SCCA. The difference is BCA gives more official runs (6-9 runs), so I could use my experience to eke out a little more in the later runs where I don't always get it done in 3.

Official results

Sunday
2nd of 3 in S3 superclass (DS, GS, HS)
2nd of 46 in PAX
11th of 46 in raw time

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Here's how the points battle for Bridge City Autosports ended, two events dropped. It is interesting to note how the points keep a narrow spread rather than Oregon SCCA (posted mid-September) which tries to increase the spread. There are other clubs which use a percentage of best finishing time rather than the point spread. Each system has merits and drawbacks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
That's some nice hardware, congrats!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
Pepper's Totals
555 runs total, 12 runs so far in 2020... 52 runs on 3rd set of RE-71Rs, 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s and 143 runs on 2nd set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs and 91 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS and 23 runs on scrap RE-71Rs
$5.17 per run in entry & membership fees for 2020 season
18959 miles on odometer (~1300 miles are not related to autocrosses)
26.1 mpg for 2020 season

First autocross of 2020!

Saturday
Bridge City Autosports had a class day and two drivers requested me to be their instructor. Thankfully they had enough experience it wasn't an issue that I was delayed by snow in the Coast Range mountains. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires are definitely not suitable for snow, LOL! As usual for instructors, we were rewarded with lunch & fun runs.

Sunday
Had planned on scuffing a fresh set of Bridgestone RE-7R tires, but returning home to fetch them on Saturday night was not a good gamble as it would freeze hard with a (slim) chance of snow again in the morning. Thus I ran on the PS4S.

Oh, the agony of defeat! Finishing order ended up being the same as I expected with the winner taking a flyer on his last run. Up until then, I was leading the class. Would the right tires have gotten me a win? Unlikely, as the winner's fast run chopped my time by over a second.

Official results

Sunday
2nd of 12 in S3 superclass (DS, GS, HS)
5th of 80 in PAX
14th of 80 in raw time

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Pepper's Totals
567 runs total, 24 runs so far in 2020... 64 runs on 3rd set of RE-71Rs, 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s and 143 runs on 2nd set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs and 91 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS and 23 runs on scrap RE-71Rs
$9.50 per run in entry & membership fees for 2020 season
19257 miles on odometer (~1300 miles are not related to autocrosses)
26.0 mpg for 2020 season

First two Oregon SCCA events of the season. I'm running "Pro PAX" this year instead of "S2 Superclass" to keep my driver development going. I'm still a couple seconds behind the big names (Ryan Otis, Dallas Cutler, James Paulson are local and we were joined by Kevin Dietz on Saturday) and hoping to close that gap some.

Saturday
Ryan has switched to his 2019 Camaro with Yokohamas to run in CAM-C and Dallas put Yokohamas on his SM Evo to run in XS-A. Cold, damp, but drying conditions, running in heat 2 of 3. Heat 3 conditions were even better and it clearly showed in the overall PAX results. The course was technical and had little room to allow acceleration to be a factor.

On the subject of Yokohamas, it is clearly the tire to have in 200 treadwear categories if your car has enough camber. Ryan's video showed he is pulling 1.5 G with them in less than optimal conditions! The FoST in GS does not have the camber and, I suspect, with our soft suspension would become a rollover hazard, so I'm sticking to the Bridgestones for now.

Sunday
I hate daylight savings time. Arrived at the track at 7a and there's not enough light to change tires until about 7:15a. Course modifications were being made in the dark, by the headlights of a car. Sure wish we remained on standard time, but, no, some idiots-in-charge are trying to make DST permanent on the west coast.

Weather was a touch warmer & absolutely dry after the first heat and we ran in the third heat Saturday's course was lengthened slightly and run in reverse. I failed to execute any improvements and had to stand on my first run.

There were 10 more entries on Sunday. Two FoSTs have come out to run in GS, so I was providing them guidance. Plus one of the under-prepped CAM regulars has switched to a FiST in HS and already doing much better as a result.

Official results

Saturday
5th of 11 in ProPAX superclass
13th of 83 in PAX
30th of 83 in raw time

Sunday
9th of 12 in ProPAX superclass
10th of 93 in PAX
30th of 93 in raw time

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Pepper's Totals
590 runs total, 47 runs so far in 2020... 77 runs on 3rd set of RE-71Rs, 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s and 143 runs on 2nd set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs and 91 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS and 23 runs on scrap RE-71Rs
$6.04 per run in entry & membership fees for 2020 season
20029 miles on odometer (~1300 miles are not related to autocrosses)
25.2 mpg for 2020 season

Autocrossers Anonymous: "Hi, my name is George and it's been three months since my last autox…" Sorry, no pics or video this time. Mentally, I was at my limit after such a long break, struggling just to remember the routine of turning off TC & ESC and using SoloStorm. Speaking of which, there is an update out and I should install it!

Bridge City Autosports event #2 at Sanderson Field in Shelton, WA. Friday and Saturday practice sessions followed by Sunday competition. Friday practice was "come & go at will, shag your own cones" while Saturday practice was more formal. With a heavy thunderstorm moving through on Saturday, my earlier decision to not attend Saturday was looking like a stroke of genius.

COVID-19 precautions set by the club are to wear masks, social distancing even with masks, gloves available for handling cones & radios, use own pen for signing waiver, waiver table disinfected every few minutes, no passengers unless from same household, online registration and drivers meeting, only one person in timing vehicle, most vehicles have annual tech, and owner techs interior of vehicle under supervision if no annual tech. Yes, it all feels weird. By the end of the weekend, we all agreed wearing masks while being closer together or using radios is tough, so conversations without masks tended to be louder and further apart.

Fuel economy is down. Most likely due to higher traveling speeds, but also it is time to change sparkplugs and I haven't checked air pressure in the street tires lately.

Friday

Course walk consisted of a follow-the-leader drivethrough which is definitely not enough for me. Wasn't until the second run that I properly followed the course, wasn't comfortable until the 5th run. Sunny weather reached 82F, so I took 5 runs and let the tires cool for 30-40 minutes while I ate lunch before doing another round. Started a third round of 5 runs, but realized I was too tired to complete them, so total of 13 runs. Even though times weren't recorded, without doubt I had second fastest raw time. Burned 4 gallons of fuel.

Sunday

On the early morning drive back up to Shelton, I had to abruptly slow for deer in the road 5 different times going through the Nehalem River valley. Sure glad it wasn't foggy like usual!

Swapping to the race tires, I noticed I had installed two in the wrong direction, so fixed that. Which made me late enough I only got one course walk before gridding up. Tire pressures were a touch low and the resultant grabby tires pulled me into 5 cones on the first run. Second run I misread the cones and forced myself into the wrong side of a non-optional slalom. Third run I coned somewhere... good thing this club normally gives us at least 6 runs because I was rapidly running out of opportunities! Finally got a clean run on the fourth attempt, but 1.5 seconds off the leader (Des Toups dominated west coast GS in 2018 and he's back in GS with a newer Civic SI after running a CS Miata in 2019). And so it went until the seventh run, when I finally closed up to my perennial local challenger, Jon Steeves in his DS Focus RS, only 0.09 behind him. Eight run I slowed down by one second. Ninth run I backed up the seventh run, but coned. Des opted not to take a tenth run, Jon had his tenth run still coming plus a rerun, and I finally put all the pieces together to pull off a killer. Jon pulled ahead of Des, but still 0.2 PAX behind me. The 3 of us are 1-2-3 in PAX and 3-4-7 in raw time.

Air temp went from 52F at the beginning to 64F at the end, so a LOT of air came out of our tires.

I often say that the GS Focus ST has more brake than you can use for autox (assuming the e-differential doesn't cook them first), that it feels like you can stand it on its nose. Turns out I was more correct than I realized as the course workers say I was getting both rear wheels off the ground braking from 60 mph to 27 mph for a U-turn.

Official results

Sunday
1st of 5 in S3 superclass (DS, GS, HS)
1st of 40 in PAX
4th of 40 in raw time

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
Pepper's Totals
607 runs total, 64 runs so far in 2020... 94 runs on 3rd set of RE-71Rs, 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s and 143 runs on 2nd set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs and 91 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS and 23 runs on scrap RE-71Rs
$6.94 per run in entry & membership fees for 2020 season
20807miles on odometer (~1300 miles are not related to autocrosses)
26.1 mpg for 2020 season

Fuel economy has come back up. I'm chalking it up to slightly low rear tire pressure and maybe the gas stations hadn't yet switched to summer blend.

So this was one of my crazy autox weekends, where I attend one club's autox on Saturday, 2.5 hours away, come back to a homebase, then attend another club's autox on Sunday in a different location that's also 2.5 hours away. And homebase is 2 hours away from home, so it's a long weekend of driving. This is how I end up covering 21k miles in two years just attending autox!

Saturday

First up for the weekend was an autox on a track, Oregon Raceway Park. The two cooperating clubs (Willamette Motor Club and Bridge City Autosports) used the entire 2.5 mile track, placing slaloms & gates strategically to keep peak speeds, er, reasonable. Even so, I hit 80 mph twice every run. Slowest corner was 28 mph and most of the run is third gear. Entry cap of 60 cars allowed us 3 morning runs and 3 afternoon runs; for tire & car wear purposes, I counted the runs as 12 since they were over 2 minutes long. ORP staff are good hosts. I believe WMC has held trackdays at ORP, but this is the first autox ever conducted on the track (and only the second track autox that I'm aware of since my first one in 1989 at PIR), so there were a few teething issues to work through. Even with those issues, everyone felt it was a good event and worth the $125 entry fee.

There was a rain shower that moved through during final runs in the morning when I was working course. Temperature dropped from 75F to 60F and I was standing at tower 7 in jeans & a t-shirt. At the lunchbreak, I had the 5th fastest raw time. After the lunchbreak, my afternoon runs were on a damp & drying track, so never managed to improve on my morning runs while the other group got all dry runs.

Normally I'd post a video or pics in the "Show Off Your Autocrossing", however I unfortunately didn't get my video cameras running, so here's a video from Steve Wynn and his CAM-T (CAM-C?) Mustang, fastest raw time on Sunday. I was 10+ seconds slower, but believe it captures my feeling of driving this course.

And here's what happened to a couple of folk over the weekend when they stab the brakes a bit too hard at 60+ mph. This is a modified FiST.

Sunday

Off to Hoodoo Ski Area for the afternoon run group. Thankfully Emerald Empire Sports Car Club splits their day into morning & afternoon, so I was able to sleep in until the wildbirds at the homebase woke me with their morning racket rather than waking to a 4a alarm. Hoodoo is on the summit of the Cascade Mountains, between Bend and Salem. The lot is smallish, wrapping around the front of the lodge, yet the club managed to lay out a 50-second course with good overlap for two cars on course, though it did have a spin cone. The finish, coming downhill through the slalom from the spin cone (right side of pic) was surprisingly fast and SoloStorm says I hit 67 mph into the stop box. Lorin Mueller (DS Focus RS) and Garrett Cogburn (DS Civic Type R) managed to edge me for PAX honors, with Garrett taking top honors.

Official results

Saturday
1st of 6 in S3 superclass (DS, GS, HS)
1st of 60 in PAX
17th of 60 in raw time

Sunday
1st of 2 in GS
3rd of 66 in PAX
15th of 66 in raw time (besting all 3 of the STH entries in raw time)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I often say that the GS Focus ST has more brake than you can use for autox (assuming the e-differential doesn't cook them first), that it feels like you can stand it on its nose. Turns out I was more correct than I realized as the course workers say I was getting both rear wheels off the ground braking from 60 mph to 27 mph for a U-turn.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your brake set up for GS? Right now I'm running Stock pads with only 40% pad left and Motul 600. Photos show a lot nose dive on hard braking, so I believe you when you say rear tires can leave the ground.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
If you don't mind me asking, what is your brake set up for GS?
Currently stock rear pads and Hawk HPS for the front. The stock pads are too soft for extended autocrossing, which gave me glazed, seriously grooved front rotors & boiled brake fluid due to the e-differential action after a 5-minute enduro-cross in my first 3 months after purchase of Pepper. There are probably better choices, but Hawk HPS are convenient.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Pepper's Totals
618 runs total, 75 runs so far in 2020... 11 runs on 4th set of RE-71Rs, 94 runs on 3rd set of RE-71Rs, 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s and 143 runs on 2nd set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs and 91 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS and 23 runs on scrap RE-71Rs
$6.85 per run in entry & membership fees for 2020 season
21194 miles on odometer (~1300 miles are not related to autocrosses)
26.2 mpg for 2020 season

A return to Packwood with Oregon Region SCCA! Last chance to re-acquaint myself with the surface before the Tour & Pro. There is some speculation that the continuing rise of COVID-19 infections may force the State of Washington to tighten restrictions which might impact the Tour & Pro. The fresh set of tires that I bought prior to the canceled Las Vegas ProSolo finally got scrubbed in.

Saturday

Nice 70F, but ever so windy. The course was very well-suited to my driving preferences, resulting in the big surprise that I beat both Annie Gill and Des Toups in Des' GS Honda Civic. Annie did raw-time me by half a second, but snagged a cone. This has me very excited for the Tour!

Sunday

Rain in the night left a soggy course which the first of three run groups dried out. Temperatures when I ran were a chilly 59F, so cold rear tire syndrome appeared as should be expected. Annie & Des skipped Sunday, I believe to run in Bremerton, so can only compare to overall PAX results. The course was the reverse of Saturday's, but a 5-cone decreasing slalom was added to what became the start. Pepper (or I) are at a handicap in slaloms and I didn't get a good handle on the course for some reason.

Official results

Saturday
10th of 26 in ProPAX class
10th of 110 in PAX
24th of 110 in raw time (raw timed the three STH entries)

Sunday
14th of 22 in ProPAX class
15th of 90 in PAX
30th of 90 in raw time (raw timed the three STH entries)

Pic by Salish Consultants. They were flying a drone in Saturday's strong winds.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts