Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Pepper's Totals
290 runs total, 140 runs so far in 2019... 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s and 83 runs on used Bridgestone RE-71Rs and 50 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS
$4.64 per run in entry & membership fees for 2019 season
9920 miles on odometer (~1200 miles are not related to autocrosses)
27.3 mpg for 2019 season

Long trip (7 hrs incl lunch/gas stops) up to Spokane for a weekend with Autosports Northwest (ASNW) at their primary site, Deer Park Airport, which has a disused runway on the east side. A drawback of this site is the very dusty final half mile dirt/gravel road on airport property, so if you visit, don't bother washing your car beforehand!

Saturday
Being a runway, the courses ASNW creates tend to be of the down-and-back variety, so filled with slaloms or wider slaloms that are mini-sweeping turns. The runway being reasonably long, there are fast sections and I was hitting the rev limiter in 2nd gear; not quite long enough to use third gear because the final slalom had a tight spot.

Sunday
Course was reversed with a few changes at the start resulting in runs taking a couple seconds longer. The finish, though, had a top speed of 70 mph for me! Results at the top of PAX were looking similar to Saturday, right down to the same battles, but the times were much tighter despite the runs taking about 2 seconds longer. In the woulda-shoulda-coulda department, my final run had a timing error, so I got a rerun and that rerun would have been good enough for top PAX time... alas, two pesky slalom cones popped out of their box near the finish.

Official results

Saturday
3rd of 6 in S3 superclass (DS, GS, HS) (*)
5th of 76 in PAX
20th of 76 in raw time

Sunday
3rd of 5 in S3 superclass (*)
5th of 59 in PAX
22nd of 59 in raw time

(*) if you're paying attention, you'll quickly surmise that the S3 superclass is VERY fast, having the two fastest PAX drivers for the weekend in 1st & 2nd in S3, with myself being the 5th fastest PAX driver being myself coming in 3rd in class.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Pepper's Totals
302 runs total, 152 runs so far in 2019... 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s and 88 runs on used Bridgestone RE-71Rs and 56 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS
$4.73 per run in entry & membership fees for 2019 season
10420 miles on odometer (~1300 miles are not related to autocrosses)
27.3 mpg for 2019 season

Packwood. This will be the site for a Championship Tour and Pro Solo in July and is the first of 3 or 4 events I'll attend there before the big events. Packwood is on the Cowlitz River in the heart of Washington, between Mt. Rainier to the north and Mt. Adams to the south. In other words, miles away from anything useful, so most competitors have to travel 2+ hours to get there. The pavement is undulating sealed asphalt, moss would take it over if autocrosses weren't held, and grip can be unpredictable until a few cars have run. So why do clubs run it? Because it is one of the few affordable large areas that allow national-level features like 60 mph slaloms and multiple sweeping turns. Though the Packwood site has been in use since 2005, this was my first visit to it.

Saturday
Before Spokane, I planned to try the rear swaybar on full stiff, as I felt there was room for a bit more rotation. Data from Spokane showed me that I wasn't quite driving hard enough and when I allowed myself to drop some caution, Pepper proved to be comfortably loose, so I nixed that plan. Which was good because Packwood proved to be loose for me as the course had some off-camber turns. Air temperature was 60F-64F during sunny morning runs and I ended up nabbing the second best PAX time of the morning group on RE-71R tires with a kart getting the top spot. Afternoon runs were in 70F overcast weather and with substantially more rubber on the course, times tumbled for the other drivers.

Hot shoes that didn't help with NW Region's novice school came to Packwood for Saturday's event, so the top PAX results were augmented with Ron Bauer, Des Toups, Annie Gill, Kevin Dietz, and Keith Brown in addition to Oregon Region's Zach Morgan, Ryan Otis, and Dallas Cutler.

Sunday
Started out sprinkling and misting into first runs of the morning group. The precipitation stopped and they had a drying track, but it was obvious that the track further dried out for afternoon runs (my group). Obviously 24 people did not stay for the dampness, with some, as noted, going to Bremerton for NW Region's points event.

I figured that the weather would stay cool and the mistiness would return, so used the Michelins. It was a gamble that barely worked, because it warmed up to 64F, but competition runs were held while it was still 57F-61F.

Official results

Saturday
1st of 10 in S2 superclass (CS, DS, ES, GS, HS)
18th of 76 in PAX (dropping formula jr karts that used an abbreviated course)
35th of 76 in raw time (dropping formula jr karts that used an abbreviated course)

Sunday
2nd of 8 in S2 superclass
5th of 52 in PAX (dropping formula jr karts that used an abbreviated course)
11th of 52 in raw time (dropping formula jr karts that used an abbreviated course)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Pepper's Totals
317 runs total, 167 runs so far in 2019... 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s and 15 runs on 2nd set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs and 56 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS
[first set of RE-71R tires retired after my 88 + Hoffmaw's 16 runs = 104 runs]
$4.96 per run in entry & membership fees for 2019 season
10973 miles on odometer (~1300 miles are not related to autocrosses)
27.3 mpg for 2019 season

Memorial Day weekend presented three events in 2 days at Bremerton with 2 clubs. Nice thing about running at any Bremerton event is that you can be certain a goodly number of the top Oregon & Washington drivers will be there.

Saturday
Morning event showed I can run pretty well now. Afternoon event showed how this aging mind can have serious brain fade because I forgot to turn off traction control and stability control on all my runs!

Sunday
Ran time-only so I could be in the morning session and get home at a reasonable hour to prep for a 3-day fishing/camping trip starting the next day. Examining the final results suggests that I matched Saturday morning's results.

Official results

Saturday morning
5th of 12 in Pro1
5th of 48 in PAX
20th of 48 in raw time

Saturday afternoon
8th of 11 in Pro1
10th of 31 in PAX
19th of 31 in raw time

Sunday
32nd of 97 in raw time

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Pepper's Totals
325 runs total, 175 runs so far in 2019... 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s and 23 runs on 2nd set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs and 56 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS
$4.91 per run in entry & membership fees for 2019 season
11161 miles on odometer (~1300 miles are not related to autocrosses)
27.3 mpg for 2019 season

Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville with Bridge City Autosports. Hot and hotter, so I didn't have to worry about cold rear tires and skipped the insulation. Skipped the practice day, unfortunately missing Mr. Baldwin & company, because I did my annual hike of Saddle Mountain which proves I'm still not ready for assisted living... or other lifestyle redesigns. It seems another sign that it's time for a lifestyle redesign will be when I can no longer change my tires at an autox as that seems harder than the hike <ahem>.

Last Sunday, there was a little click when testing the front wheel bearings during tech inspection. It was borderline, so I was expecting to need to tighten the hub nuts before running today. However, the click did not reappear and I had a couple people check. I think it was just a piece of grit on the back of a wheel or stuck to the hub face.

Sunday
Only brain fade occurred toward the end of the session as the air temp rose to 79F, where I kept forgetting to shift out of first gear (!!), in various ways, which kind of created its own chaos that dogged the rest of each of those runs.

Official results

Sunday
1st of 4 in S3 superclass (DS, GS, HS)
2nd of 66 in PAX
10th of 66 in raw time

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Pepper's Totals
230 runs total, 80 runs so far in 2019... 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s and 55 runs on used Bridgestone RE-71Rs and 17 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS
$5.20 per run in entry & membership fees
6529 miles on odometer (~900 miles are not related to autocrosses)
26.3 mpg for 2019 season

This weekend I devoted to the Siskiyou Sports Car Club annual Spring Enduro held in White City, Oregon (near Medford). The event consists of 5 laps around the Jackson County Sports Park kart track outermost loop, but the long crossover is used to make a figure-8. All the laps are added together and you only get one shot. There are practice sessions on Friday and Saturday. Because it is a fixed course, class records are kept. The records were wiped clean for 2015, presumably because of the SCCA class changes and maybe because of track repairs (?).

Because entries are capped at 75 drivers, there are usually not many drivers to directly compete against in class. Surprisingly, though, there were 2 other people entered in GS. One BMW and one older VW GTI; both were on lackluster tires, so the competition was a foregone conclusion and I concentrated on achieving a place in the record book. The GS record is pretty tough, though, as when you sort the records by the current PAX index, it is the 5th fastest! Based on my Fall Enduro performance, I was thinking I'd be lucky to get within 10 seconds of the record.

Friday
Rain. Still, I made use of the open practice that began at 4:30p and lasts until dusk. As usual in the wet, I left both traction & stability control turned on and ran on the Michelins. I was turning mid-61 second laps, but need to turn 58.39 second laps, so was 3-4 seconds off record pace. Had no clue whether dry and warmer weather would be enough to close the gap. Solostorm told me that I was pulling 1.0G even in the wet and I know dry traction should be 1.1G, but I didn't know how much time that translates to.

Saturday
I signed up for the 1p practice session and the weather was warm enough (barely) to not worry about cold rear tires. Initial lap was mid-59. Subsequent laps fell into the mid-58s... not quite fast enough, but then I ripped a 57.9, so the possibility of setting the record was now emerging! Studied the Solostorm traces to figure out what worked best and noted tire pressure rises to come up with an initial tire pressure setting that would work for 5 laps.

Sunday
Weather was impeccable, a perfect 68F by the time my run started. First 3 laps were flawless, I had a minor bobble on the 4th lap in the banked curve, and then I had brake fade on the final lap that nearly sent me into the weeds. When I pulled into the pits, smoke was pouring out of the front wheel wells. Yes, my brakes were cooked and the fluid boiled. Discs have some pad transfer, but not scored or warped or sticking. Missed setting the record by only 0.39 seconds. Still, it was fun trying, combining my analysis and driving skills to get close!

Solostorm & the lap timer told the tale, where lap 4 and lap 5 each cost me 0.4-0.6 seconds off the pace I'd been running on the first 3 laps... 58.4, 58.1, 58.2, 58.8, & 58.8. The bobble in the banked turn just carried with me all the way down the longest straight and I nearly came to a stop when the brakes faded to avoid ending in the weeds.

Pepper was built in April of last year and I live in a moist environment, so it seems like flushing the brake fluid twice a year is going to be a good idea. Once at the start of a season and then once more halfway through the season. Also ordering brake pads, probably Hawk HPS. Also ordering a fresh set of RE-71Rs as these will be done after another weekend or two... depends on how wet/dry the upcoming weekend is.
I missed the record for the Spring Enduro, but neglected to include official results because they were slow to be posted. Correcting that oversight...

Official results

Sunday
1st of 3 in GS
2nd of 55 in PAX
24th of 55 in raw time (remember, GS is the next to slowest class)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Pepper's Totals
335 runs total, 185 runs so far in 2019... 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s and 33 runs on 2nd set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs and 56 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS
$5.01 per run in entry & membership fees for 2019 season
11534 miles on odometer (~1300 miles are not related to autocrosses)
27.2 mpg for 2019 season

My second trip to Packwood, again with Oregon Region SCCA. I struggle at Packwood due to the broad course layouts providing room for fast decreasing radius turns and I hesitate to charge into those corners. Been leaving a lot of time on the scoreboard as a result.

Oh, a GS Focus ST showed up in the hands of one Ian Haas! I'd not seen him & his car before, but he's not completely new to autocross. We chatted off & on through the weekend. As I was waiting to take my final Sunday run, he said he couldn't understand how I was 3 seconds faster, so I had him hop in as a passenger... sounded like that illuminated some light bulbs ;-)

Saturday
First run group and the weather cooperated, so no cold rear tire surprises. I took a cone on first run, but it was obvious I had the fast time. At the end of second runs, I had a solid lead and my main competitor was struggling due to not enough course walks. I know he has a habit of pulling off a corker on his third run, so I didn't relax a whole bunch. I laid down a decent third run, but he nipped me by 0.12 sec. This put him only 5 points away in our season points battle after 8 of 13 events using the 20-16-13-etc scoring system.

Sunday
Knowing things weren't going to easily come my way, I had a sinking feeling in my stomach when I first walked Sunday's course. Even though it was a reversal of yesterday's course, the subtle changes somehow made it feel much more complex. Nothing for it, but to buckle down and get extra course walks to memorize it. My main competitor coned his first run, but his scratch time was a full second faster than mine. Then he coned & gated his second run while I found a half second. Final competition run, he coned again and somebody else slipped into second place, so I was in the clear which was fortunate as I also coned. In the two post competition runs, I improved by 1.5 seconds, finally getting closer to where I should have been on competition runs.

Official results

Saturday
2nd of 9 in S2 superclass (CS, DS, ES, GS, & HS)
17th of 73 in PAX
37th of 73 in raw time

Sunday
1st of 7 in S2 superclass (CS, DS, ES, GS, & HS)
21st of 62 in PAX
39th of 62 in raw time

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Pepper's Totals
348 runs total, 198 runs so far in 2019... 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s and 33 runs on 2nd set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs and 69 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS
$4.90 per run in entry & membership fees for 2019 season
11720 miles on odometer (~1300 miles are not related to autocrosses)
27.2 mpg for 2019 season

Play day at PIR with Bridge City Autosports began with rain, so my plan of burning up some bald RE71R tires until they corded did not come to fruition. Those tires ended up weighing down the club canopy. Fortunately the rain stopped and the track dried out, but I opted to just stay on the PS4S tires. For terms of wear, I've halved the number of runs recorded that I actually took in the morning because it was so slick. The pavement which wasn't replaced in last winter's repaving had been given a sealant that was incredibly slick in the wet.

Hooked On Driving had the road circuit and Tom Kotzian was one of the instructors for them. I caught up with him during the lunch break and he eventually wandered over to ride shotgun with me a couple times before I went home. Gave me a nice reminder that when mental braking markers aren't working out, it's time to let go of plans and pull them back.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Pepper's Totals
361 runs total, 211 runs so far in 2019... 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s and 46 runs on 2nd set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs and 69 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS
$4.55 per run in entry & membership fees for 2019 season
12085 miles on odometer (~1300 miles are not related to autocrosses)
27.1 mpg for 2019 season

Practice day at Packwood with Northwest Region SCCA. Primary reason to attend this practice was to acquaint my Packwood Tour codriver with Pepper and make sure our driver swaps would go smoothly. As a bonus, I swapped cars (STS Miata) with Oliver Taylor for a couple runs. Due to codriver, I now have 5 fewer total runs than Pepper.

Note #1: I'm a terrible passenger in my own car, LOL! Already knew I don't stomach riding shotgun in an HS FiST and its just as true for a GS FoST. Didn't have that trouble in a Honda Civic Type R, so go figure.

Note #2: Power is a corrupting influence. Yup, despite having owned & autocrossed a CS Miata from '94-'96, I prefer having FoST power. Majorly missed that oomph in the STS Miata, though it was nice to not worry about fitting the Miata through tight gates.

Note #3: I picked the right codriver! He's a young man that I've seen autocross his ancient Honda Accord in HS on three days in the past year and we hit it off chatting. His talent & care of equipment was clear to me, so I asked if he was interested in codriving for the upcoming Packwood Championship Tour? Absolutely! He took to Pepper right away, is at least as quick as I am, and we don't even have to adjust the seat when swapping!

Reactions: freakin_elrod

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Pepper's Totals
373 runs total, 223 runs so far in 2019... 12 runs on scrap Bridgestone RE-71Rs, 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s, 46 runs on 2nd set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs, 69 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, & 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS
$4.43 per run in entry & membership fees for 2019 season
12493 miles on odometer (~1300 miles are not related to autocrosses)
27.1 mpg for 2019 season

Sanderson Field in Shelton, WA with Bridge City Autosports is known for third gear autocrosses and this weekend was no exception. Low attendance meant lots of runs and then more runs afterwards if you took advantage of fun run time. I tried cording a set of scrap RE-71R which had come with a set of Allegra rims rather than putting more runs on the set I'll need for the Championship Tour in 2 weeks. Didn't even come close to cording them, so I'll abuse them once more at a future event before moving the all season RE780AS to this set of Allegra rims instead of the RPF1 rims they're currently on.

Sunday
Distracted by playing with GoPro cameras, I forgot to turn off TC & ESC for the first three runs. Dropped run times by 1 second after doing that. Coneage was also a problem due to a very tight high speed gate; only managed 3 clean runs out of 10.

Official results

Sunday
1st of 3 in S3 superclass (DS, GS, & HS) - current results show me 2nd of 4, but the listed leader was in a different car (McLaren? Porsche? Mercedes?)
4th of 44 in PAX
22nd of 44 in raw time

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
compare the PS4s to all else if you will.
Compare to everything? LOL, I'll try...

245-18 PS4s with my stock suspension will max out at about 1.00G on the datalogger whereas the 255-17 RE71R generate up to 1.14G on the datalogger(*). The PS4 does not require heat to work, so you can charge as hard as you want on your first run. The RE-71R compound, on the other hand, doesn't begin working properly until about 75-80F and you usually notice the lack of heat in the rear tires during the first half of your first run unless the ambient temperature is above 80F; that shows up as the rear tries to lead the way on a hard corner, probably as the inside tire begins to lift off the pavement. The OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 summer tires have a similar temperature profile as the RE71R, but the threshold where they begin to grip well is a few degrees higher.

On wet pavement, the PS4S feels more planted than the RE-71R, but then I've only driven on worn RE-71R in the rain and tread depth is at least as important as grip. I also believe that water cooling the RE-71R reduces its effectiveness, particularly in fwd cars, compared to the PS4S. In autox results, my times in temps below 60F, wet or dry, improve by up to 2% versus the other drivers. Between 60F and 65F, it doesn't seem to matter which tire I pick, though I can feel the RE-71R has more grip. In weather above 65F, you gotta go with the RE-71R for best results.

245 & 255 are both wide tires for the wet & cold (50F-60F). Narrower is better in the wet, so I'm planning on trying the RE-71R in 235-17 this fall and next winter to see whether that has an advantage over the PS4S.

In the very cold & wet, below 50F, I've used the Bridgestone RE780AS in 235-17. They don't have the grip of the other tires in the dry and they wear way too fast in the dry, so leave them strictly for wet days. What they offer is, like the PS4S, is a compound that is ready to go--no cold rear tire syndrome. What I don't know is whether a 235 width PS4S would work any better under the same wet & cold conditions; we do know that the PS4S is better in the dry (see Engineering Explained on YouTube).

In general, I'm finding the PS4S wears better than the other tires. At least they do up until the point you find yourself squealing all around an autox course, in which case you've probably overheated the tires. Time to cool them off with a water spray or pack up because you're not doing them any favors by running them more.

(*)Since the datalogger is mounted inside the car, you have to take the G numbers with a grain of salt since the car has body roll and that increases the number that the datalogger reports. Tirerack reports the PS4S as having 0.92G when measured with a timer & dry skidpad.

Reactions: nickbaldwin86

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Compare to everything? LOL, I'll try...

245-18 PS4s with my stock suspension will max out at about 1.00G on the datalogger whereas the 255-17 RE71R generate up to 1.14G on the datalogger(*). The PS4 does not require heat to work, so you can charge as hard as you want on your first run. The RE-71R compound, on the other hand, doesn't begin working properly until about 75-80F and you usually notice the lack of heat in the rear tires during the first half of your first run unless the ambient temperature is above 80F; that shows up as the rear tries to lead the way on a hard corner, probably as the inside tire begins to lift off the pavement. The OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 summer tires have a similar temperature profile as the RE71R, but the threshold where they begin to grip well is a few degrees higher.

On wet pavement, the PS4S feels more planted than the RE-71R, but then I've only driven on worn RE-71R in the rain and tread depth is at least as important as grip. I also believe that water cooling the RE-71R reduces its effectiveness, particularly in fwd cars, compared to the PS4S. In autox results, my times in temps below 60F, wet or dry, improve by up to 2% versus the other drivers. Between 60F and 65F, it doesn't seem to matter which tire I pick, though I can feel the RE-71R has more grip. In weather above 65F, you gotta go with the RE-71R for best results.

245 & 255 are both wide tires for the wet & cold (50F-60F). Narrower is better in the wet, so I'm planning on trying the RE-71R in 235-17 this fall and next winter to see whether that has an advantage over the PS4S.

In the very cold & wet, below 50F, I've used the Bridgestone RE780AS in 235-17. They don't have the grip of the other tires in the dry and they wear way too fast in the dry, so leave them strictly for wet days. What they offer is, like the PS4S, is a compound that is ready to go--no cold rear tire syndrome. What I don't know is whether a 235 width PS4S would work any better under the same wet & cold conditions; we do know that the PS4S is better in the dry (see Engineering Explained on YouTube).

In general, I'm finding the PS4S wears better than the other tires. At least they do up until the point you find yourself squealing all around an autox course, in which case you've probably overheated the tires. Time to cool them off with a water spray or pack up because you're not doing them any favors by running them more.

(*)Since the datalogger is mounted inside the car, you have to take the G numbers with a grain of salt since the car has body roll and that increases the number that the datalogger reports. Tirerack reports the PS4S as having 0.92G when measured with a timer & dry skidpad.
great info and thanks! I guess I will just hang tight with my Ps4S setup ... I really like them and I agree they little scream like the blond chick in a Jason movie after the 3rd lap on a 80 degree day. I literally lower air pressure each lap and by lap 4 and 5 I am doing more skids in a FWD than a drift car. oh well I do need to wet them down. still learning all the little things I need to get that edge.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
GOPR0051 (2).JPG

Pepper is one year old today!

12997 miles and 385 autox runs

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Pepper's Totals
385 runs total, 235 runs so far in 2019... 137 runs on the OEM 240 treadwear Goodyear Eagle F1s and 58 runs on 2nd set of Bridgestone RE-71Rs and 69 runs on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 21 runs on Bridgestone RE780AS
$4.33 per run in entry & membership fees for 2019 season
12997 miles on odometer (~1300 miles are not related to autocrosses)
27.1 mpg for 2019 season

2019 Packwood Championship Tour
Weather for heat 3 on both days was sunny & 77-79F, pretty ideal conditions for the Bridgestones. The 9 GS competitors had virtually no comparisons to give an indication of how well they'd do. I pegged Dieter Beldi and TJ McGeary in Dieter's Honda Civic Si that Dieter bought from Des Toups as very likely to take 1st & 2nd. Jeffrey McVey and Tyler Corbin were obvious picks for the bottom slots, so that left 5 of us scrambling for the 3rd place trophy.

Saturday
McGeary, Beldi, Bennett (my codriver), McCormack, myself, Healy, Boller, Corbin, and finally McVey. The top 6 slots were tight, squeezed into 0.712 seconds, so it was still anyone's game. I did the old man thing and forgot to turn off TC & ESC again, but it probably only cost me a tenth of a second. I was sitting at 51st in PAX standings. Comparing my codriver's runs with mine on SoloStorm showed that we had the capability to run as fast as the Honda.

Dennis Healy was heard to exclaim, "I've forgotten how to drive sh1tboxes!"

Sunday
I remembered to turn off TC & ESC every run with reminders from my codriver. McGeary took a commanding lead at the start of second runs with Beldi close behind and enough gap to the rest of us where we were unlikely to intervene in their battle. Healy leapfrogged into 3rd place, followed by myself, Bennett, and McCormack. Boller, Corbin, & McVey held their positions. So it came down to final runs. McGeary has no improvement, Bennett cones the run that would have put him in third, and then McCormack snips ahead of Bennett which leaves me a lock on 4th with an opportunity to improve before us second drivers take our final runs. Beldi finally passes McGeary, Healy doesn't improve, and I cone the run that would have put me in third. Apparently we left the cone magnet turned on again...

Official results

4th of 9 in GS
71st of 280 in PAX [The PAX leader was Ron Bauer in his BSP Miata, but running in DP with a DP index again!]

·
Registered
854 Posts
You did really well this past weekend. I'm excited to see how things go for you at the Pros this coming weekend, I for sure thought you were going to beat Healy in the third spot.

Reactions: gemery

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I for sure thought you were going to beat Healy in the third spot.
Well, I (or my codriver) should have, but we choked in the clutch, LOL! Dennis knows he squeaked that one.

For my first ever Pro Solo, we'll see if I can adapt to the drag race start... that's most likely going to be my achilles heel. With 12 S4 entries, I see several names I should be able to beat, just to soothe my ego.

Reactions: freakin_elrod

·
Registered
854 Posts
Well, I (or my codriver) should have, but we choked in the clutch, LOL! Dennis knows he squeaked that one.

For my first ever Pro Solo, we'll see if I can adapt to the drag race start... that's most likely going to be my achilles heel. With 12 S4 entries, I see several names I should be able to beat, just to soothe my ego.
If you can get there for the practice starts do it to get familiar with how the tree goes down and whether or not you will have to ebrake it at the launch. Luckily for me I was a drag racer back in the mid-late 90s so the xmas tree was a familiar feeling so I got some pretty good hole shots, but the combination of open diff/not being able to put power down properly, as well playing PAX calculator racing was my demise. S4 is just tough for an STH car if you aren't AWD. You however have a good PAX to go with so as long as you dont botch up the launch too bad, you've got a good chance at a trophy spot.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
You however have a good PAX to go with so as long as you dont botch up the launch too bad, you've got a good chance at a trophy spot.
I wouldn't go along with the shot at a trophy spot... there's some serious talent in there and the trophies don't go THAT deep: Lorin Mueller, Ryan Otis, Chris Thorpe, Dieter Beldi, and TJ McGeary. It's possible I could outlaunch Dieter and TJ (ST vs. Honda), but they have experience on their side. Plus I won't have a codriver this time; Des Toups solved his "what do I do for the Pro Solo" dilemma by buying a Miata, LOL.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I wouldn't go along with the shot at a trophy spot... there's some serious talent in there and the trophies don't go THAT deep: Lorin Mueller, Ryan Otis, Chris Thorpe, Dieter Beldi, and TJ McGeary. It's possible I could outlaunch Dieter and TJ (ST vs. Honda), but they have experience on their side. Plus I won't have a codriver this time; Des Toups solved his "what do I do for the Pro Solo" dilemma by buying a Miata, LOL.
Thorpe and Otis I see in the top two to three spots for sure. It is possible to outlaunch the SI but it can also backfire on you if you get overzealous with the go pedal since you have more torque. Just remember same course and you have 12 runs to get it done.

Reactions: gemery

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Only 158 entries for Packwood Pro Solo, but Street 4 (DS, FS, GS, STH) has 13 entries, so about the same as Topeka number-wise. Annoyingly, the supplemental rules have not been posted yet.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts