Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find the answer and nobody has answered me in the rmm thread or the NJST facebook group. I could have missed something and if I did, my bad.

What on earth makes the cpe stage 2 rmm stage 2. JBR specs a durometer and that's the only thing that really matters aside from linkage material which comes into play more with a drag mount than a standard road mount (I think, as long as it's at least aluminum). It appears stage 1 is 60a, but I haven't found what the stage 2 is. And why would anyone buy the cpe stage 2 for over $200 if the JBR 88a (or 70a or 80a) is $100, even his drag mount is only $100. I'm assuming stage 2 means that the durometer rating is in the ballpark of 88a, but a 235% markup is baffling. I know someone is going to say it, "Sounds like your mind is made up, why are you even asking?" and that's true, but still I'm genuinely curious what made people buy a cpe stage 2 over JBR and what the real difference is. I'm an engineer so I don't just buy stuff because someone says it's good, I look at what makes it better. For example, a statement such as "I just put a big turbo on my car for $2000. It's way faster, but I decided against the big turbo that cost $1000". Was the 2k turbo twice as big/efficient/etc? How big was the 1k turbo vs 2k? If they were they same size, why did you spend twice the money? Did your buddy get the same one and that's it?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can't find the answer and nobody has answered me in the rmm thread or the NJST facebook group. I could have missed something and if I did, my bad.

What on earth makes the cpe stage 2 rmm stage 2. JBR specs a durometer and that's the only thing that really matters aside from linkage material which comes into play more with a drag mount than a standard road mount (I think, as long as it's at least aluminum). It appears stage 1 is 60a, but I haven't found what the stage 2 is. And why would anyone buy the cpe stage 2 for over $200 if the JBR 88a (or 70a or 80a) is $100, even his drag mount is only $100. I'm assuming stage 2 means that the durometer rating is in the ballpark of 88a, but a 235% markup is baffling. I know someone is going to say it, "Sounds like your mind is made up, why are you even asking?" and that's true, but still I'm genuinely curious what made people buy a cpe stage 2 over JBR and what the real difference is. I'm an engineer so I don't just buy stuff because someone says it's good, I look at what makes it better. For example, a statement such as "I just put a big turbo on my car for $2000. It's way faster, but I decided against the big turbo that cost $1000". Was the 2k turbo twice as big/efficient/etc? How big was the 1k turbo vs 2k? If they were they same size, why did you spend twice the money? Did your buddy get the same one and that's it?
The CPE stage 2 comes with two parts (like Boomba) as opposed to Cobb or JBR that only replace the mount itself.

Sent from Dr. Lights lab

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The CPE stage 2 comes with two parts (like Boomba) as opposed to Cobb or JBR that only replace the mount itself.

Sent from Dr. Lights lab
Is there any real benefit to the second part over the stock linkage? Is it made of a significantly harder material such that that linkage doesn't flex as much as the stock linkage? Even if so, I'd imagine that difference would be on the order of thousandths of an inch

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wait, I think I see it now. I didn't know there were two bushings on the whole rmm assembly. The JBR mount is the same as the part of the cpe with the white etching. I thought it was the part with the visible white/grey bushing and the part with white etching in photos doesn't make the bushing look obvious and I thought it was just all metal. Now that I know there's 2 bushings, it makes sense now. Is all of that true?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is there any real benefit to the second part over the stock linkage? Is it made of a significantly harder material such that that linkage doesn't flex as much as the stock linkage? Even if so, I'd imagine that difference would be on the order of thousandths of an inch
I am personally not sure as I'm running a JBR solid drag mount. I would imagine from all the people that run them that it's an improvement of just their stage 1 mount but again as I don't have one I can't pass judgement.

Sent from Dr. Lights lab

·
Registered
381 Posts
Wait, I think I see it now. I didn't know there were two bushings on the whole rmm assembly. The JBR mount is the same as the part of the cpe with the white etching. I thought it was the part with the visible white/grey bushing and the part with white etching in photos doesn't make the bushing look obvious and I thought it was just all metal. Now that I know there's 2 bushings, it makes sense now. Is all of that true?
Yes, there are two bushings. The benefit is better engine holding with less vibrations than what you would find in an ultra-stiff 1-piece kit. There still will be vibrations though, don't get me wrong.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, there are two bushings. The benefit is better engine holding with less vibrations than what you would find in an ultra-stiff 1-piece kit. There still will be vibrations though, don't get me wrong.
Got it. It all makes sense now. Is the engine holding with a two piece mount, such as cpe, similar to the 88a JBR?

·
Registered
273 Posts
The stage 2 cp-e is night and day better than most the others. Worth every penny. And by better I don't mean simply in materials or fit/finish (which it is as well), but i mean in term you can feel.

Reactions: poletrain

·
Registered
138 Posts
Their bushings are also a different material that has a higher temperature rating then other companies bushings. I know this because Mitch(from CPE) said it's a good thing I have their stage 2 rmm because of the routing of my external waste gate dump pipe exiting by the rmm. He said others could be softened or messed up possibly with all the heat from the ewg dump pipe. I had already had it installed before I learned that, so I'm glad I had made that choice. I have all 3 of their mounts and love them.

·
Premium Member
13,881 Posts
Cp-e offers two rmm. The Stage 1 which replaces the piece that attaches to the front cross member.

The Stage 2 replaces both pieces of the rmm and eliminates one of the bushings.

Cp-e also uses EPDM instead of polyurethane. This allows the bushings to hold up better to heat and will last longer.

Sent from another galaxy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts