Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I installed a LSD a LWF and a new clutch i get the car all back together and now it wont go into gear. It will however shift when the car is off so I'm not sure what the problem is. The car was shifting fine before the install.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Take off the transmission housing and rekey in the clutch pressure plate, clutch plate, and flywheel. Something is offt. If you sure everything is lined up well then....internally?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to add that my pedal feels not normal I was expecting some change but this feels different.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I want to add that my pedal feels not normal I was expecting some change but this feels different.
Correct, If you did not mark key locations when taking it apart you can cause severe damage to the trans and engine if it catches just right. you can shift with the car off because the engine is not spinning...its kinda the same reason you can up and down shift by revv matching. You will def have to read everything that came with the LSD, and take it all apart and visually inspect that everything is installed correctly..most likely it was the clutch assy you installed wrong and not the LSD.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what do I do now I did not mark any Key locations. And I'm a bit confused I do not recall having to on other vehicles. Doesn't the clutch only bolt up one way to the fly wheel?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had this exact issue in one of my pick-ups years ago. Turned out a spring had come out of the clutch disk and was floating around in there and would allow it to disengage. I changed the disk and all was well again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Can you put the clutch plate in backwards on these cars? I've done that before on my s10 with a t5. It acted the same way.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Can you put the clutch plate in backwards on these cars? I've done that before on my s10 with a t5. It acted the same way.
I couldn't see something like that somehow NOT causing damage lol

·
Registered
154 Posts
Lol I didn't read the clutch plate side that said "FRONT towards engine". So I put the side that the springs stick out mashed up against the flywheel. So no matter if i pressed the clutch in or not, it was spinning the trans gears. We jacked up the back end and watched as I put it in gear, even with the clutch pedal pressed, and the wheels were spinning lol.

Luckily it only takes ~30 mins to drop the trans out of an old truck like that. The focus on the other hand... good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know for sure the clutch is not backwards but I did call clutch masters and they said that I deffinatley need to power bleed it and not use a vacuum bleeder.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I figured it out!!!! with help from Clutch Masters and CFM we came to the conclusion it was the release bearing. Not sure why or how but I could never get it bled down properly. So I pulled the trans again and swapped in the old release bearing to check and sure enough the car is working again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts