Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While perusing the forums I see many great articles about the plastic roof trim removal, refinishing and installation. What I haven’t found so far is what combination of paint members have found that provides a correct match for the OEM textured finish and color. It may not be perfect but here is the combination that I have found that works for me. Remember do not use an etching primer. This is only for refinishing metal parts. Because it is a plastic textured finish I was able to use a “jitterbug” sander to clean up flashing and imperfections. A couple of coats of primer, 4-5 coats of the textured black, and 3-4 coats of “satin” clear coat. Anyone have a better solution?

Hair Liquid Product Human body Fluid

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My roof trim is some kind of metallic material. Not plastic. 😶

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think you will find SEM paints in your local auto parts store. They come from Germany and are only available online. Check out Amazon for the best prices.

New to FoSt so not sure about all the changes between the different model changes. The only way to know for sure if you have plastic roof accents or not is to remove one and check it out.

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST2
271 Posts
I don't think you will find SEM paints in your local auto parts store. They come from Germany and are only available online. Check out Amazon for the best prices.

New to FoSt so not sure about all the changes between the different model changes. The only way to know for sure if you have plastic roof accents or not is to remove one and check it out.
Oreilly’s does carry SEM, but I believe they’re the only one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A possible word of caution on the Rustoleum satin clear… Painted the windshield wipers using that product on a couple of my vehicles… After about 4 to 5 years in the sun, it turned white and started to peel. Just my experiences, your results may vary…

·
Registered
170 Posts

Search for a body shop supply house, they are all over the place and they all use the same couple of suppliers and I'm always seeing SEM stuff on their pallets at work (LTL freight company). Finishmaster is a national chain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A possible word of caution on the Rustoleum satin clear… Painted the windshield wipers using that product on a couple of my vehicles… After about 4 to 5 years in the sun, it turned white and started to peel. Just my experiences, your results may vary…
Thanks for the tip Keith. I'm lucky that my ST lives in the garage. The back of the Rust-oleum can says it protects against UV. That kind of implies that that this paint is designed for outdoor usage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Search for a body shop supply house, they are all over the place and they all use the same couple of suppliers and I'm always seeing SEM stuff on their pallets at work (LTL freight company). Finishmaster is a national chain.
Believe it or not I found a good price on their etching primer using Amazon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts