Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do a white center stripe for my car but wasn't sure if Plasti Dip will hold up for more than a few months or have other bad problems? Any feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I think it depends on how hard you are on it. What will end up happening is any rocks or debris will take off chunks of it more easily than it would vinyl. The good thing is it's easy to apply and even easier to remove if you don't like it or if it starts looking like crap. It's a cheap way to see if you like the stripe if you're unsure but I think vinyl would look better and hold up much better. I don't think a few months is unreasonable but like I said, depends how much highway driving you do or driving in areas with lots of debris getting thrown around.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great to know! I'm going to contact a local shop to see how much it would cost to make it out of vinyl and have them install it

Reactions: Bryman13

·
Registered
744 Posts
How big are the stripes you're looking to do? If they're not too big, you may want to look on eBay or look towards vinyl shops. If they're big stripes and the vinyl will be a bit costly, I definitely do recommend doing it in plasti-dip first to make sure you like them, but as Bryman said, plasti-dip won't last nearly as long as vinyl will.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How big are the stripes you're looking to do? If they're not too big, you may want to look on eBay or look towards vinyl shops. If they're big stripes and the vinyl will be a bit costly, I definitely do recommend doing it in plasti-dip first to make sure you like them, but as Bryman said, plasti-dip won't last nearly as long as vinyl will.
the stripe would be the width of the hood bulge on the 2015+ models and go from front to back, I think im gonna get a quote for vinyl

Reactions: Bryman13

·
Registered
744 Posts
the stripe would be the width of the hood bulge on the 2015+ models and go from front to back, I think im gonna get a quote for vinyl
Like I said, get the quote which I'm sure it will be expensive and get it done in plasti-dip first. On the off chance you don't end up liking it as much as you thought you would, you're not out nearly as much money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had done a purple racing stripe on my hood when I first got my focus. It could of been because of the color or if I wasn't laying down thick enough coats but I was re doing the strip probably every 3 weeks cause the sun was making the purple fade like crazy. I've done wheels and mirrors though and never had a problem with fading.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my son did plastidip on his older mustang, turned out really well - lasted for well over a year...
Wow that looks really nice! What tape did he use and how crisp are the edges?

Reactions: Toadster
1 - 11 of 11 Posts