Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put the St up on jacks, so I could put on the new exhaust. After I dropped it back down, I noticed the brake pedal would barely budge. It has ascot one inch of play, and that's with me trying to shove it through the floor. Brake fluid was a little low, so I topped it off.

Checked the front brakes, and they were touching the rotors. I took them off, reset the piston, put everything back together, pumped the brakes a couple times, and they froze right back up.

It still has very limited shipping power. And the brakes aren't seizing enough to prevent the car from being able to be driven.

Anybody have any experience with this issue?

·
Registered
613 Posts
How many miles on the car, lots of corrosion and stuff on the brakes? Original pads, have they been changed out/replaced yet?

When you had the caliper off, did you notice any scoring or gouging on the pistons themselves? Something else I would check/clean/relube is the sliding pin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car has just over 36000 miles. There was obviously tons of brake dust, and nothing that looked abnormal as far as rust goes; it is there, but it wasn't excessive to the point of concern. Pads are original, they have plenty of pad left. The pistons didn't look damaged at all, and the sliding pins looked good, clean, and slide perfectly fine with just my hands

·
Registered
134 Posts
sounds like the brake booster isn't getting any vacuum. there is only enough stored vacuum in the booster for one or two pumps with the engine off. if you have started the engine and there is still a hard pedal, there might be a blockage or disconnected hose in the brake booster system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts