Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like to whine, cry, *****, moan or complain...however...I gotta vent.
Wednesday morning (luckily I was off)
I decided to head out and run some errands..about 9ish.
Car won't start...got power, just cranks no start.
I call roadside, got it towed to the dealer, got a loaner...off I go.
Today...I get the call.
Found the problem, looks like something chewed on some wires, warranty won't cover...gonna cost $500 give or take.
I'm instantly ticked off.
I'm parked for roughly 12 hours while the neighbors vehicles sat there all day & all night...
Plus my house didn't go anywhere, plenty there for something to chew on...
I'm suppose to believe something crawled up in my car..found whatever wire this is & chewed it??
I'm very skeptical....
Could it happen...yeah maybe...seems like it would have to sit longer than 12 hours but really who knows.
The service writer can show me any wire he wants when I get there...might be mine...might not.
Doesn't matter...I'm still gonna be pissed for awhile.
Anyway...just wanted to vent.
Thanks for listening....reading...etc...
Happy holidays.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Critters are looking for a warm place this time of the year, that's probably why they chose you instead of the neighbor's cold cars. I had a mouse build a nest under the engine cover and it chewed the insulation off some wires on my lawnmower last year, and it's in a cold building behind my house.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hahaha I'm sorry I'm laughing at your expense but I LOL'd reading that. I would be equally as pissed and $500 seems extreme for that.

BUT only 12 hrs sitting there, having neighbors cars sitting there, and a house sitting there wouldn't effect whether or not YOUR wires got chewed. It's not like a mouse walked outside and looked at your car and your neighbors car and say, "hmmm, this ones been sitting here longer so it would make sense if I wen't for that one but I'm gonna crawl into the other one" hahah.

I had mice make a nest inside of my old jeeps air box and completely destroy the air filter to the point where I'm not sure how my car was still running and I've also had a squirrel use my valve cover under the engine cover as a nice warm nest and place to store his acorns. So, it happens unfortunately.
All it takes is one little nibble.

Again, sorry for laughing!
Happy holidays!

Reactions: DeadlyBreakdown

·
Registered
331 Posts
It can and DOES happen... We have a 2014 Fusion sitting in the shop right now that is COMPLETELY gutted because a mouse had been living in it for awhile and has chewed literally every wire in the car. Side air bags, behind the dash, you name it! So it is not as uncommon as you think. Im also in Texas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sigh....I know it's possible a critter did it..doesn't make me feel any better.
**** happens....mostly to me so y'all should be ok...but still.
Maybe I'm wrong for thinking Ford could've said "this car is brand new, this sucks, let's just fix it, say it was a connection issue or something && warranty it"
I don't have that kind of luck..but it would've been nice.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I've had a mouse go into my basement and chew my headlight wires to bits on my GSX-R 600...that was fun.

Then, the following summer (2 summers ago), this mouse or one of his compadre's decided you know what we won't chew anything, we will just crawl into his exhaust. Once inside of my exhaust they made a food storage area and filled it with the dog food they stole from the bag at the other end of the basement. Filled my pipe to the max.

Me, having no idea of this nice gift, fired my bike up like I so commonly do in the winter just to have it run a little and not sit so long..only to throw dog food literally EVERYWHERE in my basement.

Best part...is once the dog food stopped coming out of my pipe...it was clogged at a bend with so much that it caught fire. So imagine the lovely smell as I pushed my bike outside the basement and watched smoke billow from my exhaust pipe from burning dog food. Took the pipe off and chiseled it all out of there since it was now black and charred. What a mess...and smelled horrid.

So, I mean I didn't pay $500 or have stuff ruined that time...but I assure you it sucked.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If I still had my Civic, I'd take a picture of the mouse teeth gnawings that were on one of the rubber caps of some random wiring by the engine block. It happened the first year we had those polar vortexes that brought -15°F temperatures once a week to NE Ohio.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dog food in your exhaust...I think they were messing with you.

Again...I hate to sound negative.
I'm guess I should be thankful it's only what it is && not a $5,000 repair bill.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Sorry man. Hope it's back up and running soon. Put mouse traps all over the place.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
It definitely happens. Had mice chew up a bunch of wires in my '91 Mustang, along with the hood liner for some reason.

Chalk it up to bad luck. Like you said - at least it wasn't a $5000 repair bill!

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I worry about this happening to me, as my ST sits in the garage. I leave the garage lights on, and keep my hood open. I hope this keeps the little bastards away. I’m going to go out there soon and start inspecting the engine bay.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I worry about this happening to me, as my ST sits in the garage. I leave the garage lights on, and keep my hood open. I hope this keeps the little bastards away. I’m going to go out there soon and start inspecting the engine bay.
I'm not sure if keeping the hood open would be more or less problematic. Heat release vs extra access lol. Damn those rodents.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not sure if keeping the hood open would be more or less problematic. Heat release vs extra access lol. Damn those rodents.
I'm not a marine biologist or anything, but I would assume it would be a bit better to leave the hood open AND the garage lights on. I guess it would make the engine bay brighter, meaning less security for critters that try to hide in there.

That being said, I have an 2002 Mini Cooper that became home to some kind of small rodent in the span of about a week sitting near a tree in the yard. Acorns and random nuts were stashed in my airbox and all around my top engine mount and reservoirs. No wiring damage, thankfully, but it really doesn't take much time at all for critters to set up shop or nibble on something they shouldn't.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I'm not a marine biologist or anything, but I would assume it would be a bit better to leave the hood open AND the garage lights on. I guess it would make the engine bay brighter, meaning less security for critters that try to hide in there.

That being said, I have an 2002 Mini Cooper that became home to some kind of small rodent in the span of about a week sitting near a tree in the yard. Acorns and random nuts were stashed in my airbox and all around my top engine mount and reservoirs. No wiring damage, thankfully, but it really doesn't take much time at all for critters to set up shop or nibble on something they shouldn't.
I particularly enjoy that you specified the marine branch of biology for this :lol: That is a good point though, about the lesser amount of shade to hide in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I actually am a Marine Biologist, and as such I have no idea if keeping the hood open would help, lol. That said, I did see what looks like a mouse turd under the plastic engine cover around the coil packs on my car the other day. I just bought some of those humane "catcha" traps to try.
Be glad the damage wasn't worse. I have an uncle who's 911 that was stored in the garage for winter in MN had a $5000 repair bill in the spring (2015) for chewed up wires.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I actually am a Marine Biologist, and as such I have no idea if keeping the hood open would help, lol. That said, I did see what looks like a mouse turd under the plastic engine cover around the coil packs on my car the other day. I just bought some of those humane "catcha" traps to try.
Be glad the damage wasn't worse. I have an uncle who's 911 that was stored in the garage for winter in MN had a $5000 repair bill in the spring (2015) for chewed up wires.
I laughed at the beginning of this post and then it turned to tears at the end. The horror that poor 911 went through.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
and this right here is why I tell people to not kill snakes. Killing snakes in your area just makes this worse.

Reactions: brian60
1 - 20 of 35 Posts