Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of a friend I met at a party last night recently totalled an Audi S4 (she's fine). She agreed to swap my worn out F1 all seasons for her nearly new Pirelli Cintuarto all seasons (245/40r18) before the tow truck comes Monday, if I pay for the swap. So I did! My go-to shop did it for $60 today. I'll be buying a matching spare next week.

I've been zipping around all day, and these tires are amazing! Quiet, better grip in a straight line than the F1s, and a more plush ride. They do lack a little of that "go-kart" feel that the F1s had, but only slightly.

Is there any reason not to run "grand touring" tires on an ST? I don't think I am a good enough driver to hit the limtis of the car, or these tires--at least not now. The S4 is a performance car like the ST, why are these recommended for those and not STs? Do you guys hit the limits of the car or tires often enough to tell the difference between these and full on. ultra high performance tires like the Michelins, either summer or all seasons?

It's supposed to snow tonight so I'm going to take the car out and see how they do, and I'll post what happens.

Either way, basically free tires!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Do you guys hit the limits of the car or tires often enough to tell the difference between these and full on. ultra high performance tires like the Michelins, either summer or all seasons?
Yes.

The main thing is having the right tire for the conditions.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I bought P7s for my 05 Accord years go when the P7 model had just been released. They were definitely quiet and comfortable, just like you said. However, I had them on a 4 cylinder Accord with 165hp. I wasn't driving it like I do my ST. Oh, and they were fine in snow. I ended up commuting every day through Chicago's worst ever winter in that Accord with the P7s and I never got stuck or lost control.

I currently have the all season P-Zeros on the ST and they're a higher performance class than the P7s and even in strictly street driving, they really lack performance. They're slow to respond, the sidewalls are soft and roll a bit before they bite and even on a freeway on ramp, it's surprisingly easy to get them to break loose.

I never drove the P7s long enough to find out, but the P-Zeros absolutely get louder with age. Tread depth stays pretty high but the tires get hard and they get loud, usually after 20-25k miles of use.

But hey- if you like the P7s, good. There's a lot to be said for quiet and comfortable. Drive them until they get loud/wear out or until you want something different. Like you said- free tires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts