Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ST
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they really that good ? Iv been clicking on a lot of post an noticed a lot of people stand by them a lot. In your opinion what’s another tire worth buying. I’m getting my clubsport suspension installed tomorrow finally lol now Since I need a alignment I want some tires to really feel my tune. I have posted before about this I’m just stuck on what to go with. My heart tells me go with the firehawks Indy 500 but summer is 6 months away an i daily my car.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
2,084 Posts
Is it below about 40 where you are? Don't want summer tires in the cold.

I had Indy 500s last part of winter on the back when I first got the car, did OK but no snow or much cold driving.

If you want max performance, really need 2 sets of tires.

I would put money in the best tires before suspension, seems counterproductive otherwise. You're probably not going to save more than a few hundred $ on a cheaper set over the Michelins.

There have been several threads with some good alternatives, but I don't recall them all.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Are they really that good ? Iv been clicking on a lot of post an noticed a lot of people stand by them a lot.
They are more of an extreme use tire. When the temps start getting below 45, maybe 40, they are real sketchy and have no grip anymore. After about half tread, they get so damned loud they are almost intolerable, and they wear pretty fast. I never pushed them hard on wet pavement so I can't attest to their performance on that, but they are an awesome tire except for what I noted above, at least those are my opinions on them. Those reasons are why I'll never buy them again for a street tire that I drive on every day.

·
Registered
2017 ST
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it below about 40 where you are? Don't want summer tires in the cold.

I had Indy 500s last part of winter on the back when I first got the car, did OK but no snow or much cold driving.

If you want max performance, really need 2 sets of tires.

I would put money in the best tires before suspension, seems counterproductive otherwise. You're probably not going to save more than a few hundred $ on a cheaper set over the Michelins.

There have been several threads with some good alternatives, but I don't recall them all.
It’s like 45 to 52 degrees here in Long Beach California

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
2,084 Posts
The Indys would probably serve you well for a daily.

My next tires were budget all season tires. First UHP tires I had and bumped about the same.

I've not run the Michelin PSS to compare.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the Michelin PS4S, I think they're great! Like you, I live in SoCal. When I got this set as a replacement for the OEM F1s, it didn't dawn on me at the time that these were warm weather tires only. What a dumb-ash...😩 Fortunately for me the temps run on the average between 50-75 F year round. 😁
Long story short: Depending on where you live
1) a good set of AS tires if you're short of funds 2) a set of winter tires and the PS4S.
3) a set of warm weather tires (especially if it's not the DD)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I also use Michelin PS4S's and I live in the PNW, so I have a separate winter set. After doing some research myself before buying these, there are a lot of tires in the 300ish treadwear area that many of us use and recommend. I went with the Michelins for a couple of reasons: 1, they were on sale at the time, so I ended up getting a set of 4 mounted and balanced for like $810. And 2, they have a 30k mile manufacturer's warranty, which none of the other ones I was looking at had. So far mine are holding up great

I can attest they handle really well in the rain. I still have lots of tread left so I can't speak to road noise but that wouldn't surprise me. I would recommend these to anyone, but I haven't had anything else to equally compare.

·
Registered
2017 ST
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also use Michelin PS4S's and I live in the PNW, so I have a separate winter set. After doing some research myself before buying these, there are a lot of tires in the 300ish treadwear area that many of us use and recommend. I went with the Michelins for a couple of reasons: 1, they were on sale at the time, so I ended up getting a set of 4 mounted and balanced for like $810. And 2, they have a 30k mile manufacturer's warranty, which none of the other ones I was looking at had. So far mine are holding up great

I can attest they handle really well in the rain. I still have lots of tread left so I can't speak to road noise but that wouldn't surprise me. I would recommend these to anyone, but I haven't had anything else to equally compare.
I just want to try something different then what everyone else has or has had. Yokohama is really calling my name right now …

·
Registered
750 Posts
rious if these are worth a try …
you'll get a lot of opinions, but for a summer only tire, my choice at this point is Ventus V12 evo.
I've had two sets of them now and really liked them. Whenever my F1's are finally gone, that will be my choice again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are they really that good ? Iv been clicking on a lot of post an noticed a lot of people stand by them a lot. In your opinion what’s another tire worth buying. I’m getting my clubsport suspension installed tomorrow finally lol now Since I need a alignment I want some tires to really feel my tune. I have posted before about this I’m just stuck on what to go with. My heart tells me go with the firehawks Indy 500 but summer is 6 months away an i daily my car.
The second it gets below 45 Degrees F, you lose all grip.

You can generally get around this by warming up the tires but this really is a summer only tire. No traction in the rain, cold, etc.

I've got a set and I slid around a hairpin corner at 30mph at about 40 Degrees F. Cant recommend these for year round use.

·
Registered
2017 ST
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

You can generally get around this by warming up the tires but this really is a summer only tire. No traction in the rain, cold, etc.

I've got a set and I slid around a hairpin corner at 30mph at about 40 Degrees F. Cant recommend these for year round use.
Yeah I ran them already they get a little scratchy when the weather gets cold ! But man during summer they stick

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

[…] No traction in the rain, cold, etc.
Vehemently disagree if you’re talking about PS4S, but will agree if you’re talking about PSS. People often confuse the two models.

PNW owner, in the wettest corner of Oregon on my second set of PS4S. The tires grip fine in the wet right down to before the roads turn frosty. I’ve autoxed them at 35F on damp pavement and they still pull the same cornering Gs as on damp pavement at 55F as measured with data collection.

Haven’t noticed a noise problem, either.

They are NOT good on snow & ice. That’s where you need sipping, tread depth, and a different compound.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Vehemently disagree if you’re talking about PS4S, but will agree if you’re talking about PSS. People often confuse the two models.

PNW owner, in the wettest corner of Oregon on my second set of PS4S. The tires grip fine in the wet right down to before the roads turn frosty. I’ve autoxed them at 35F on damp pavement and they still pull the same cornering Gs as on damp pavement at 55F as measured with data collection.

They are NOT good on snow & ice. That’s where you need sipping, tread depth, and a different compound.
Exactly. They're great in the rain for what they are and from what I've read about other options in the same TW/price ranges

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Probably worth mentioning there is yet another model, the PS4AS. AS = All Season. It has slightly better grip in the rain than the PS4S, but significantly worse grip in the dry. Easy to confuse all 3 models if not being specific.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It’s like 45 to 52 degrees here in Long Beach California
ST owner from SoCal here. Recently replaced my OEM Eagles with PS4S. Awesome tire, would highly recommend. Drove them around some during the recent cold wave here in SoCal, they grip fine as long as you drive conservatively. We finally got some snow on the mountains, eh? (I'm sure the folks from the snow belt and other areas are chuckling at us :) )

·
Registered
339 Posts
@EmanuelST84

Homeslicer, I'm also in SoCal and got the clubsport non-adjust suspension 8 or 10 months back, still running the OEM tires on my '18, which I like . . . Goodyear Amercan tire company, etc. Reason for posting, Mountune said to drive the clubsports for a few weeks? and then check the alignment. I went to an old-fashioned suspension guy in Santa Monica who checked it with a combination square and he declared it in spec and N/Cd it. The problem with the ST suspension according to him is that minor adjustments aren't easily do-able . . . something like the whole deal has to be unbolted and then lifted into a new notch??? There have been some posts about changing front end parts to be able to fiddle with it, but that then increases the cost. Basic message, I would suggest that with the clubsports just drive . . . them, and when they wear out, buy new tires.

you'll get a lot of opinions, but for a summer only tire, my choice at this point is Ventus V12 evo.
I've had two sets of them now and really liked them. Whenever my F1's are finally gone, that will be my choice again.

I saw either a regular Focus or possibly a rare sighting of another ST that had these Hankooks mounted up, they looked good. I had a set of semi-normal Hankooks mounted on my '89 Prelude that I had until '18 when I bought my ST. They were cheap and they stuck like mad in all weather . . . SoCal/Cali weather . . . . Don't know if the Ventus are "summer" or not, but if I couldn't get a good price on a Goodyear option I'd check them out as optional. The OEMs are good enough for street driving, only had a little issue with them up in Big Sur in Dec one year it got down to 35, the tires weren't too responsive, but then I wasn't pushing too hard . . . .

·
Registered
750 Posts
@EmanuelST84
Don't know if the Ventus are "summer" or not, but if I couldn't get a good price on a Goodyear option I'd check them out as optional. The OEMs are good enough for street driving, only had a little issue with them up in Big Sur in Dec one year it got down to 35, the tires weren't too responsive, but then I wasn't pushing too hard . . . .
Yes, they are a summer only sport tire. Mind you, they aren't Pilot Sports, but they do stick really well and are certainly not suitable for use in cold weather, they get really sketchy under 40 degrees and I can personally attest to that. The noise is pretty acceptable as well (one of my serious peeves). They are more of a budget sport tire, if you can call 150ea "budget", but still quite a bit less that the F1's or Pilot Sport. They certainly aren't "cheap", but they are also a very good performing tire.
Someone above mentioned a pilot sport version that I haven't tried and it has me curious now, but it's a rather pricey experiment. Fact is, there are quite a few decent tires out there and I haven't tried all of them, that is impossible, so I've no way to compare more than about 4 different ones that I've actually owned and driven on. Of those, the Ventus was by far the best tire for the buck for a daily street summer tire. I, of course, run separate wheels wrapped with Blizzak for winter use. I don't know why, I don't drive this car if the weather is bad, I have a 4WD truck that I normally use. My F1's only have a little over 8K miles on them at this point, so I've got a long wait until I need new ones, but they will be most likely be Hankook Ventus unless something new catches my attention before then.
If you want the best tire because it is the absolute best sport tire, the Pilot Sport is probably your choice. If you are just street driving but want something really good and yet affordable, you have several choices and I'd take the word of most people here who have tried other stuff, seasoned members here won't steer you in the wrong direction, they know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I was referring to the PSS line. PS4S handles fine is mild cold.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts