Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my lower front brace from Pierce Motorsports and I thought I'd do a mini review.

It's a beefy but very light piece made from chrome moly tubing. Bolts up just like the others (TB and FS Werks), and works great (like I assume the others do!). Sorry I didn't purchase from the supporting vendors, but the price was right ($89) and it was made from chrome moly vs. mild steel.

First impression: car feels more solid and planted. Turn in feels tight and there's a noticeable reduction in torque steer.

In retrospect, I should have bought their 6-point brace, but I'm on a serious budget and I promised my wife that I wouldn't do any more modding (lol).

Anyway, wasn't fun to install as I no longer have access to a lift. The only thing that saved me was my air impact to take the bolts off...but I'm old and trying to torque to 125ft. lbs. while laying under the car was pita.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Does the stock under tray still work with the 2 point bar?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Should get my 6 point today. Anyone know for sure if threadlock should be used for any of the under side bolts, for the 6 point install?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Should get my 6 point today. Anyone know for sure if threadlock should be used for any of the under side bolts, for the 6 point install?
For sure yes... I think the recommended is to go to Ford and purchase replacement bolts (the factory bolts have pre-applied locker on them) because they are TQ to yield... but I didn't and just poured on lots of BlueLocTite.

I HIGHly recommend keeping everything very loose until all bolts are fitted. and lower the car on ramps so it is at "ride height" and then tighten down all bolts evenly, torque them down.

·
Registered
177 Posts
For sure yes... I think the recommended is to go to Ford and purchase replacement bolts (the factory bolts have pre-applied locker on them) because they are TQ to yield... but I didn't and just poured on lots of BlueLocTite.

I HIGHly recommend keeping everything very loose until all bolts are fitted. and lower the car on ramps so it is at "ride height" and then tighten down all bolts evenly, torque them down.
Copy that, i really appreciate the input as it confirms what i had planned on doing. Blue and on ramps. The front only or ideally the 4 ends on ramps?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I mean if you can get 4 ramps go for it... but really only need the front sitting at ride height.
Since we're here, which are TTY bolts, better which, which should i replace of i wanna be OCD?

I was told all of them, maybe someone knows how true that is? they not that much money but at the same time I didn't waste money on it :unsure:
I know since they’re not that expensive I really didn’t want to start hearing noises and get all pissy about it then blame the bolts.

I know the LCA bolts and then some or all the crossmember brace bolts.
Not sure without getting down there.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Since we're here, which are TTY bolts, better which, which should i replace of i wanna be OCD?

I know since they’re not that expensive I really didn’t want to start hearing noises and get all pissy about it then blame the bolts.

I know the LCA bolts and then some or all the crossmember brace bolts.
Not sure without getting down there.
replace them all then. Go into a Ford dealer and point at the monitors and say I need that bolt, and that bolt, and that bolt.

Without going under the car and taking a picture I couldn't tell you, I installed this way to long ago.

So which is the brace to own? I see a 2-point, 4-point and a 6-point. For Pete's sake...
The 6 point, because it has more points then the other two mounts. of course.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
So which is the brace to own? I see a 2-point, 4-point and a 6-point. For Pete's sake...
If you autocross in a non-stock class, 2-point is the only legal one (STH, DSP, SMF). I haven't read the time trials rules, but they might also restrict you to the 2-point.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The 6 point, because it has more points then the other two mounts. of course.
So the question remains, can you still use the tray with the 6 point brace? Did you look at the TB performance 4 point torque gusset/brace before hand? I must admit I like round tube over square or rectangular. It’s stronger from a engineering standpoint.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cars are starting to use more and more TTY bolts and I have a feeling I'm going to start using steel equivalent bolts so I can work on the car as much as I need to without buying those damn TTy bolts every damn time. Another concept to make the consumer spend more......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts