Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, as you can tell from the title I’m piecing together a AUX fuel setup and wanted to know peoples opinions on the CPE fuel rail vs the Radium, as well as injector size they’re running(part number or link would be nice lol).Ive already picked out a split second controller, from my research it’s the most commonly used one and I read somewhere Stratified uses the same one ? I’m aware they’re kits out like Stratified but 900$ for 2 port injection doesn’t seem very cost friendly for me, don’t get me wrong I know they make a quality product but if I can piece together a 4 port setup for the same amount or less than what theirs is I’m happy. Any input is appreciated !

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Hey everyone, as you can tell from the title I’m piecing together a AUX fuel setup and wanted to know peoples opinions on the CPE fuel rail vs the Radium, as well as injector size they’re running(part number or link would be nice lol).Ive already picked out a split second controller, from my research it’s the most commonly used one and I read somewhere Stratified uses the same one ? I’m aware they’re kits out like Stratified but 900$ for 2 port injection doesn’t seem very cost friendly for me, don’t get me wrong I know they make a quality product but if I can piece together a 4 port setup for the same amount or less than what theirs is I’m happy. Any input is appreciated !

I believe boombah has a fuel rail also

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Or use any throttle body spacer and tap for injectors like stratified. I think steeda has a cheap spacer with no holes in it

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts
Well.

For 4 port, port injection, you have 5 choices. 2 of them are pre made kits. Stratified and Speed Perf6rmanc3. Then if you want to piece a kit, Radium Engineering, CP-E, or Boomba. There are a couple companies that use the radium rail in a pre made kit. Radiums own kit is a bit ridiculous.

The Boomba kit is a bit more complicated to assemble, but does have bungs for meth. The offset meth bungs are easier to work with, then dead center ones, such as the Speed Perf kit.

After some searching, the radium is the best price, and their website has all the fittings and what not. So you could piece that stuff through them.

If the kit you choose, runs two fuel lines, interrupting the oem hpfp feed, these are some of the parts you need.

You need two fuel line adapters, for the OEM quick disconnect fuel lines. One 90 off the fuel pump needs to be one piece and low profile, and the other off the oem fuel line can be two piece, you have tons of room for that fitting.

Then you need to attach your fuel lines to these fittings, so they need barbed ends for your fuel line ID. Matching clamps, fuel line friendly. I suggest stainless steel. (I use all HPS brand clamps off amazon, both their t-bolts and their worm drives, amazing stuff)

Here's speeds install list. http://www.speedperf6rmanc3.com/content/FocusST_Aux_Fuel_Kit_Instructions.pdf which isn't great, but gives you some info. Their hose lengths are a bit long, overall length includes the fittings.

Stratified has good instructions, and some vids. They run a t-fitting and feed the fuel rail with only one line. Which simplifies things, but I like the feed/return setup a bit more.

You will want to buy 5 "Posi tap" wire connectors. The red ones are the correct size. You need to tap off one wire at each coil pack, and off the map sensor from the intake manifold. The map wire runs alll the way back to the ecu, so you can find it and tap it anywhere. I found it easy and cleanish to tap on tap of the intake manifold, as the wire runs in between the two runners of the plastic intake manifold.

A mini add a circuit, to power the split second controller. Also a ring end stakon/crimp for the ground, i suggest using the frame rail ground locations under the airbox.

You need a fuel line quick disconnect tool.

Speed uses 630cc Bosch injectors. Which are all you need unless you are planning on running E85 straight at over iirc like 500 hp. Anything past that, and you want a LPFP upgrade and 1000 cc injectors.

I'm running the 630, and going to use meth injection. Hopefully, lmao. If the fittings fit. Thats a different story on my case.

1/4 id wire loom, some heat shrink, tiny tie wraps. Just to clean things up if you want to.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info everyone ! that write up is awesome I totally blanked all the smaller items I would need like the posi taps etc. My main purpose for wanting to run 4 port is for E85 (E30/40), my tuner suggested that I get an aux setup before pursing ethanol along with the gtx2860. Any suggestions on E85 rated lines ?

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts
Thanks for all the info everyone ! that write up is awesome I totally blanked all the smaller items I would need like the posi taps etc. My main purpose for wanting to run 4 port is for E85 (E30/40), my tuner suggested that I get an aux setup before pursing ethanol along with the gtx2860. Any suggestions on E85 rated lines ?
Yes, you hit the jackpot with my involvement. Lmao

Well the 630 will be fine, you'll never push the 2860 that far up, lol.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/WH_H01706

I just referenced the hose Speed sent me. It's eaton weatherhead 3/8 line part number H01706. It comes up as a hydraulic hose, i just went on their site and it is a low pressure fuel line, rated at 1125 psi, lmao. It uses barbed fittings. Only place I could find that sells it by the foot is NAPA so far. It normally sells in 50ft or 250ft reels, there goes your savings, lmao.

I checked Eatons manufacturing catalog, and it is rated excellent for ethanol. So its good to go.

Its a total pain in the ass to get on the fittings. I had to carefully place the fittings in a padded bench vise, lubed them up, and used all my might to get them on. The hose is super heavy duty, reinforced, and industrial as you could want. In retrospect, i should have carefully applied heat to the hose ends, to get them more pliable. May have had to do with the Aeroquip fittings I had, not sure. The setup is super robust though.

You may consider using thermal heat sleeving on the hoses. Idk how much it helps, but this hose is 3/4 outer diameter. You want 7/8 inner diameter so you can actually slide it on the hose. The stock stainless fuel lines are un insulated though, and run near the turbo and dp. So, if you were going to get heat, it'd probably be from the stainless not this super hardcore fuel line.

Also, i subbed here, lmk what you end up with. Im slowly compiling info for an aux fuel thread, so I'm here to help as much as I can for the good of the community.

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts
Also

http://data.radiumauto.com/PublicDocs/19-0155B.PDF

The install is a bit more involved, personally i would avoid any rails that use mounting studs, not that radium does. Just saying that bolting the intake manifold on, is way easier than sliding in on studs.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...cCOUQFggNMAE&usg=AOvVaw31ZDsaaF94cKk_9SMYMUH7

Stratified has great instructions on their kit.

CP-E doesnt have much info available on their kit, maybe shooting them an email would get info.

All in all, the radium appears to be a single inlet kit, similar to stratifieds, so youd be sourcing a tee fitting setup to tap off of the oem fuel line.

Between all this info, you should be pretty sorted.

Also, dont use a cable extension to program the split second. Just in case its bad, better to directly connect first just to be sure.

Nishan has a fantastic video on the the programming side of the split second. Keep the aux fuel injectors unplugged for initial start up, the Split second has a fire at idle map on it initially, and will just stall out the engine.

I guess, I'm like half hijacking this thread to loosely compile info, until i try and make a proper sticky out of the info. Sorry, lmfao!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also

http://data.radiumauto.com/PublicDocs/19-0155B.PDF

The install is a bit more involved, personally i would avoid any rails that use mounting studs, not that radium does. Just saying that bolting the intake manifold on, is way easier than sliding in on studs.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...cCOUQFggNMAE&usg=AOvVaw31ZDsaaF94cKk_9SMYMUH7

Stratified has great instructions on their kit.

CP-E doesnt have much info available on their kit, maybe shooting them an email would get info.

All in all, the radium appears to be a single inlet kit, similar to stratifieds, so youd be sourcing a tee fitting setup to tap off of the oem fuel line.

Between all this info, you should be pretty sorted.

Also, dont use a cable extension to program the split second. Just in case its bad, better to directly connect first just to be sure.

Nishan has a fantastic video on the the programming side of the split second. Keep the aux fuel injectors unplugged for initial start up, the Split second has a fire at idle map on it initially, and will just stall out the engine.

I guess, I'm like half hijacking this thread to loosely compile info, until i try and make a proper sticky out of the info. Sorry, lmfao!!
Haha its not problem at all man ! This is great info to have, I'll post my questions here (I'm sure ill have more) that way you can build up all the info you need. Ive seen Nishan on Youtube this guy seems like a wizard with the ST, I was so surprised I never heard of him in the forum. Then again, seems like he primarily works with 2.3 strokers and STs with more in depth engine work.

The cable extension you're referring to is the one that is usually a 20$ or so option when buying the kits ? I wasn't too sure what that was for, thought it was maybe so a tuner could direct connect into the Aux fuel controller for tuning purposes.

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts
2013 + Focus ST Auxiliary Fuel Rail System - Boomba Racing, Inc.

For the money, the boomba kit is very attractive, installs just like their intake manifold spacer. I hate that they use crappy zinc plated hardware, that will rust. I'm ocd and end user service focused, so I swap crap like this out for stainless, or even brass.

It bolts on, super easy, no modification, and has meth ports. You just need to figure out how you want to feed it. T-tap, or hpfp intercept. It is the cheapest kit i have seen so far, but boomba makes nice stuff. Besides their zinc hardware, lol. Also, not sure if the engine cover will still fit. Which I dont care about, but you might.

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts
Haha its not problem at all man ! This is great info to have, I'll post my questions here (I'm sure ill have more) that way you can build up all the info you need. Ive seen Nishan on Youtube this guy seems like a wizard with the ST, I was so surprised I never heard of him in the forum. Then again, seems like he primarily works with 2.3 strokers and STs with more in depth engine work.

The cable extension you're referring to is the one that is usually a 20$ or so option when buying the kits ? I wasn't too sure what that was for, thought it was maybe so a tuner could direct connect into the Aux fuel controller for tuning purposes.
You directly interface with the device, and load up your tuners maps. They don't connect to it. Its like a dumb ecu, that only adds fuel under boost, but in a very controlable way. So its pretty much set it and forget it. The bulk of the tuning is via the accessport still.

You need a 9 pin to usb cable. They are like 9 bucks amazon prime. They are normally usb 2.0, and have issues with usb 3.0. If you can get a 6ft one, thatd be useful for initial function testing via Nishans video.

Also, you dont need any plug and play coil pack harnesses, it more clutter than anything. You do want to possibly install a 4 pin water proof connector keep it closer to the motor for the spark signal wires, in case you need to pull the aux fuel, or the motor. I dont suggest removing and reinstalling posi taps. So maybe a quick disconnect, for the single map tap as well. A simple male/female disconnect would suffice, weatherproof heatshrink style prefered. The bullets are cleaner than the spade styles.

Also hopefully, you have a symposer delete. That **** is in the way of everything, lmao

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts
Ok, real quick these are three radium based kits.

https://davinciperformance.com/products/radium-aux-fuel-kit-complete-by-davinci-performance 1200 bucks hpfp intercept

https://www.pandamotorworks.com/products/radium-engineering-complete-port-injection-system 1070.00 t-tap

https://adamtuned.myshopify.com/products/tune-e85-conversion-port-injection-kit 1350ish, hpfp intercept, with ethanol sensor!!

I really dig the davinci kit. Seems to be very complete. Panda looks like its missing stuff, hard to tell. At that price though. The adam tuned kit has a bluetooth ethanol system, the hoses and such look kinda lower grade than the hose i linked above so it seems less hardy. It also has an odd routing scheme because of the sensor.

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts
Will do, I'll let you know when I get everything all together here in the next few weeks.

Right ? When you take all that plastic out it sorta kinda starts to look like an engine bay lol
Lol, and its directly in the way for the port injection install. Everyone should have them ripped out. Known failure point as well.

Get a list together, drop me a pm with it if you want another set of eyes on it. I'm obviously very interested in the options, and another set of eyes on the subject is always helpful.

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts
As a lurker, I really appreciate this thread. I've been looking into putting on an Aux fuel setup, but it seems like such a headache.
It's not bad, you just need to know what you actually need, lol

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
As a lurker, I really appreciate this thread. I've been looking into putting on an Aux fuel setup, but it seems like such a headache.
Yeah I hated the idea of spending so much on a two port from Stratified but didnt want to deal with everything involved in piecing one together. A 4-port setup would be nice but i dont see myself going past what i can do with the 2port. That and I will be tuning with Stratified, so they credit you $100 towards that when you buy their kit. Will hopefully be getting around to installing this week or next.

A lot of good info here though, seeing all this before i bought mine might have lead me down a different path.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Sorry in advance as I’m not attempting to hijack this thread. However I’m curious to find out if there’s any advantage to going with an AUX fueling kit on a stock turbo (beyond the cleaning benefits)? I was thinking of either the Stratified 2 or 4 port, as want to make the install as easy as possible. Was thinking of doing that before going BT.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sorry in advance as I’m not attempting to hijack this thread. However I’m curious to find out if there’s any advantage to going with an AUX fueling kit on a stock turbo (beyond the cleaning benefits)? I was thinking of either the Stratified 2 or 4 port, as want to make the install as easy as possible. Was thinking of doing that before going BT.
The simple answer is no it won't do much on your stock turbo other than help clean the valves. BUT, even at that, you won't be spraying too much out of the port injectors because the DI system can keep up with the stock turbo for the most part.

I installed the 2 port myself and I'll be installing my BT in the next week or so. I just haven't plugged in the fuse to give it power lol.

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts
The simple answer is no it won't do much on your stock turbo other than help clean the valves. BUT, even at that, you won't be spraying too much out of the port injectors because the DI system can keep up with the stock turbo for the most part.

I installed the 2 port myself and I'll be installing my BT in the next week or so. I just haven't plugged in the fuse to give it power lol.
Well, you'd have to get tuned to run it, and actually the DI would be throttled back and the PI would supply the rest under boost. So it would clean your valves quite well. Just a complete waste of time besides that. We don't hit fueling restrictions on the K03, we hit octane/K03 limits(mostly K03 limits), lmao. So there would be no gains if just running pump gas. Overall, a poor idea. The better, cheaper option, is to run a simple meth system out of the washer tank. Would help control the valve buildup, and supply a bit of octane, but you wouldn't have to tune for it. If you shop smart, you could probably get a running meth system like 300 dollar range, used, using the washer tank as a reservoir. Single bung. Real simple stuff.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
If I were to install progressive spray water meth kit. Am I correct that I would only need one nozzle in a throttle body spacer? Does that harm or throw off the map sensor in the intake manifold? And what size nozzle should I use?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts