Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my 2013 Ford St about 2.5 months ago from Nissan. 3rd day of owning it I was getting all the symptoms of the wire harness issue. The stalling, multiple codes getting thrown, the no hill assist. I called Ford and went to the service dept in person and they handed me a printout that the harness was repaired when the previous owner brought it in for the recall.and I had to pay almost $400 for a diagnostic alone. Long story short, I took it to a shop near me and showed them when I squeezed the harness the idle changed. Being abad at soldering I had them fix it and this is what they found. Each wire was twisted then all four twisted together and heat shrunk. No solder. They told me the other splice they cut out had the wires loose and sliding out. No wonder me squeezing the harness improved performance for a few days. Ford sucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Glad you had someone do it. I've done 5 cars and they are all the same. The 15, 16 and 17 are worse. I've said it a hundred times, THE TSB DOES NOT FIX THE ISSUE and you need to do them yourself replacing all the splices. Maybe after seeing your post others will get dirty and take care of it so all the " my car idles bad and misfires" threads will stop lol.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yep that's pretty sad right there, if the issue arises I will fix it myself. Mine only does the idle dip when it's hot and the A\C on and it hasn't done it for awhile. Summers coming so well see.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
edit... ok so I searched a bit and found where the splices are. Mine is a 16 model year. My car has a slight stumbling idle, not sure if thats normal with these cars so I was going to wiggle the harness around the splice area to see if that does anything before I go and start cutting at it. Maybe Im just being too picky. I checked my plugs, gap and condition are fine. Id be curious to see pictures of the bad splices found in later model years.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Glad you had someone do it. I've done 5 cars and they are all the same. The 15, 16 and 17 are worse. I've said it a hundred times, THE TSB DOES NOT FIX THE ISSUE and you need to do them yourself replacing all the splices. Maybe after seeing your post others will get dirty and take care of it so all the " my car idles bad and misfires" threads will stop lol.
I thought the wiring harness issue didn't impact the 15's, 16's and 17's? You should make a YouTube video walking everyone through the repair. :)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
edit... ok so I searched a bit and found where the splices are. Mine is a 16 model year. My car has a slight stumbling idle, not sure if thats normal with these cars so I was going to wiggle the harness around the splice area to see if that does anything before I go and start cutting at it. Maybe Im just being too picky. I checked my plugs, gap and condition are fine. Id be curious to see pictures of the bad splices found in later model years.
please let everyone know if you have confirmed a issue with your 16 because the "new model year" 15 and above weren't supposed to have this issue any more.

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
917 Posts
My biggest complaint about this platform. How Ford failed so hard on this is beyond me. To designate a sport hatch with a 6-speed manual only option and then install a sub-par made in Mexico wire harness that causes our cars to idle like **** in varying degrees is completely unacceptable. I redid all of the splices myself on my '13. Unfortunately, I still get the occasional idle stumble with the A/C on when I depress the clutch. It doesn't stall, but it comes damn close. I've learned to live with it, but I cannot wait to get into another manual transmission car that does not have this issue at all. As much as I love my ST and this community, I will not be buying another one. In fact, I don't think my next car will be a Ford period.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If that doesn't work, you can also try SIstomper's grounding tips&tricks to help. Where the negative battery cable connects to the car, the chassis ground, check that since it's typically painted and not providing as good a ground as it should. You can remove the paint there for a better ground, and then run an 24" 8 guage negative battery cable from the chassis ground to a grounding post under the airbox, same one the transmission ground connects to.

Here's a thread he started a while back with more info if interested: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/39126-your-car-might-have-ground-issues.html

·
Registered
206 Posts
My biggest complaint about this platform. How Ford failed so hard on this is beyond me. To designate a sport hatch with a 6-speed manual only option and then install a sub-par made in Mexico wire harness that causes our cars to idle like **** in varying degrees is completely unacceptable. I redid all of the splices myself on my '13. Unfortunately, I still get the occasional idle stumble with the A/C on when I depress the clutch. It doesn't stall, but it comes damn close. I've learned to live with it, but I cannot wait to get into another manual transmission car that does not have this issue at all. As much as I love my ST and this community, I will not be buying another one. In fact, I don't think my next car will be a Ford period.
If you've done all the splices, check the grounds. Check out the link to SIstomper's thread I just posted above. It fixed this for some folks.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you've done all the splices, check the grounds. Check out the link to SIstomper's thread I just posted above. It fixed this for some folks.
I did those too. I my need to revisit them to ensure they have not become compromised as it was quite a while ago.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,491 Posts
Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
That is for the first 2 grounds the TSB addresses. You need to get them all. 7 for the 13-14 and 8 for 15 and above. They are all located in the friction tape starting from the head to the ECU. Unfortunately you have to strip the whole harness

·
Registered
162 Posts

I'm glad Ford designated the ST AS Manual only. If you are not shifting, you are not driving. Any fool can drive an automatic!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm glad Ford designated the ST AS Manual only. If you are not shifting, you are not driving. Any fool can drive an automatic!!
I don't know about that, I've been driving a manual since I was 11 or 12 (54) and I love that it is a manual, but the older I get the more my left knee hurts (old dirt bike accident) more when it's cold and sometimes I find myself wanting a auto. Does the GT have an auto option lol

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Harness is made in Uganda or some other country on that continent.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts