Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who like magnet phone mounts -- I thought id share how I have mine mounted in the ST.

Im using the Pitaka MagCase and MagMount Qi wireless charger mount. The vent clip is only vertical which I thought would have issues with our vents. but after some trial and error I was able to get it installed perfectly. it is wedged nice and snug. Wireless charging works well. Pretty convenient!

Ill try and get pics of the phone mounted but for now...

IMG_0319.jpg

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Nice setup :)

Can I ask what you are using your phone for that you need/like it mounted up there? On my old focus I used a magnetic vent mount but that car didnt have an aux input or bluetooth. With me having an ST3, the gps works well enough to not need to see my phone for gps any more. In cases where I question how updated the maps are (long trips etc,) I just sync google maps to bluetooth and use both the phone and the cars built in nav together (audio from google maps and visual with the car's gps.)

Most of the time, i just plug my phone in with my quick charger and leave the phone in the cupholder. Find myself ignoring the phone for most of my driving this way.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice setup :)

Can I ask what you are using your phone for that you need/like it mounted up there? On my old focus I used a magnetic vent mount but that car didnt have an aux input or bluetooth. With me having an ST3, the gps works well enough to not need to see my phone for gps any more. In cases where I question how updated the maps are (long trips etc,) I just sync google maps to bluetooth and use both the phone and the cars built in nav together (audio from google maps and visual with the car's gps.)

Most of the time, i just plug my phone in with my quick charger and leave the phone in the cupholder. Find myself ignoring the phone for most of my driving this way.
Since mine is a 2014 i dont have sync 3. I do have an ST3 with Nav, but i dont like it. its so much easier and faster for me to use google maps. Mounting it makes it easier for navigation and changing music. I also dont like driving with my phone in my pocket. Putting it in the cup holder take up space.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Since mine is a 2014 i dont have sync 3. I do have an ST3 with Nav, but i dont like it. its so much easier and faster for me to use google maps. Mounting it makes it easier for navigation and changing music. I also dont like driving with my phone in my pocket. Putting it in the cup holder take up space.
I run Waze 24/7 even when I'm not navigating and when navigating I agree, the 2014 MFT system is just bleh compared to Waze's abilities. Plus, the MFT responsiveness when I get a call is iffy sometimes so it's nice to visually see it. Plus, while I don't text and drive, MFT marks the text as "read" after it notifies you of who it came from on-screen...if you don't pay attention to the screen when that happens you won't ever even know you got a text once you get to your destination and that's just annoying. When I do need to reply to a text I use voice anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am sorry, but I didn't notice if this is for iPhone only? I noticed that it says you have to have the case for it also, is that only for the magnetization part or is that for charging? I have the Galaxy S7 edge and I've been looking for a magnetic qi charger forever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I am sorry, but I didn't notice if this is for iPhone only? I noticed that it says you have to have the case for it also, is that only for the magnetization part or is that for charging? I have the Galaxy S7 edge and I've been looking for a magnetic qi charger forever.

I'm pretty positive the technology is shared. My sister has used a wireless charger made for a Samsung on her iPhone before

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm pretty positive the technology is shared. My sister has used a wireless charger made for a Samsung on her iPhone before
Do you know anything about the case? I looked on Amazon for it, but I had no luck finding anything about a case for it

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Do you know anything about the case? I looked on Amazon for it, but I had no luck finding anything about a case for it

My magnetic phone mount...which is not a wireless charger...comes with a metal plate you just stick to the inside of ANY case and it will then stick to the magnet. I wouldn't buy a $100 case just to get magnetic ability lol

·
Registered
744 Posts
Interesting...so they provide a magnetic ring to put in your phone's case? I have a Galaxy S7 that I use a wireless charger and I have a similar magnetic phone mount (not wireless charging) and I needed to reposition the magnetic circle to the bottom of the case because it caused the wireless charger to not work anymore. So is the magnetic ring that is included with the mount different?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting...so they provide a magnetic ring to put in your phone's case? I have a Galaxy S7 that I use a wireless charger and I have a similar magnetic phone mount (not wireless charging) and I needed to reposition the magnetic circle to the bottom of the case because it caused the wireless charger to not work anymore. So is the magnetic ring that is included with the mount different?
No there is no magnetic plate that you attach. the metal plate is built into the case. you dont see it. check out there website for more info https://www.ipitaka.com/

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts