Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Vehicle Gear shift Plant Steering part

Just recently finished up swapping the center console of my 2013 ST2 for facelift parts. My local junkyard got a 2015 SE in (unfortunately it wasn't Sync 3 equipped car), which was my donor for most of the pieces. The rest I got from eBay. I wasn't able to find much info about doing the conversion on this forum so I wanted to make a post about it. This won't be a full guide, but I will be going over the parts I used and how I got everything working.

Parts:
  • Radio bezel (From a Sync 3 equipped car)
  • Passenger airbag deactivation light
  • HVAC control unit (From a DATC equipped car)
  • Climate control/shifter trim w/ storage cubby
  • Shifter surround trim
  • Shift boot
  • ESC button
  • Center console assembly
  • E-Brake trim
  • Euro cup holder (I had to have it)
  • USB extensions for the Sync 2 media input box

Installation:
Installing the new console required pulling my seats and glove box. But after that almost everything about this swap was a direct fit. Luckily, Ford didn't substantially change the locations for any screw/bolt holes. The big exception was fitting the HVAC/shifter trim. That required cutting a substantial amount of the plastic behind the area out. This doesn't really hurt anything, I just had to move the key fob antenna out of the way to avoid cutting through it too.

Wiring:
I can post the diagrams I used to convert everything over if anyone's interested, but I just got a 3 day subscription to Ford's service website and used that to figure everything out. Listed below is (almost) everything I had to do to get all the new parts wired up properly.

HVAC: The connectors for the DATC control modules are identical on both pre and post facelift cars, but the pinout is totally different. I had to completely repin my connectors and do a bit of splicing to get everything to work.

Rear Defroster: Facelifted cars use CAN to tell the BCM to turn the rear defroster on or off. Pre-facelift cars do not, I haven't got mine working with the new setup yet but I'm exploring options to fix that.

Passenger Airbag Deactivation Light: The new light requires splicing on the pigtail from the donor car, the connectors are completely different..

ESC Button: This button also requires splicing on a new pigtail.

12v Outlets: The 12v outlets on facelifted cars have a different connector, but the same mounting solution. You can either transfer over the old outlets or splice on the pigtails from the donor car.

USB Ports: The ports on Sync 2 cars are built into the same board as the SD card and component inputs. I had a friend solder up some extensions using the pigtails from the donor car and ran them back to the original ports. (That box lives under the console storage compartment now)

AUX Input: This solution is kinda janky (not really a concern for me since I don't use it) but I connected the audio wires of the component inputs to the left and right side wires for the aux. I haven't even tested this yet, but if it doesn't work I'll figure something out later.

Center Console: I transferred over the entire center console wiring harness from my old console to the new one before making any other modifications. Way easier than adapting the one from the new parts.

Conclusion:
That covers basically all the big details of my swap. I doubt many people will be interested in doing the same, but it was a fun little project. If anyone wants any more info feel free to ask. Happy modding!

·
Registered
'18 ST1+ Euro Sync3 Blue Recaros
257 Posts
Very cool, looks good, thanks for sharing. Wouldn’t know it was a PFL from the picture because you didn’t include the steering wheel. :D

The cupholder is the best, and this was the time to do it. Gonna be that guy and ask if you considered doing solid shifter bushings while everything was apart?

I’m interested, did you have to change the E-brake handle/mechanism? I thought the PFL units had a funny arc shape to them. Also, I’m assuming the shifter base was close/good enough?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool, looks good, thanks for sharing. Wouldn’t know it was a PFL from the picture because you didn’t include the steering wheel. :D

The cupholder is the best, and this was the time to do it. Gonna be that guy and ask if you considered doing solid shifter bushings while everything was apart?

I’m interested, did you have to change the E-brake handle/mechanism? I thought the PFL units had a funny arc shape to them. Also, I’m assuming the shifter base was close/good enough?
Thank you! Hopefully I'll get my hands on a facelift steering wheel eventually. Those things look and feel much better than the PFL ones.

To answer your questions, the e-brake wasn't an issue. I have heard of some cars being built with differently shaped ones, but it seems like the ST probably wasn't. Fitment around the shifter base was fine as well, I guess Ford didn't change the shape too drastically. As for the shifter base bushings, it probably would've been a good idea. I just didn't think to buy any.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,295 Posts
Thank you! Hopefully I'll get my hands on a facelift steering wheel eventually. Those things look and feel much better than the PFL ones.

To answer your questions, the e-brake wasn't an issue. I have heard of some cars being built with differently shaped ones, but it seems like the ST probably wasn't.
The st3 which has heated seats, has a transverse cup holder with the heated seat switches integrated. Because of this. The E brand handle is in the shape of a Z and protrudes through a small hole next to the shifter.

So this swap would be for the st1/2 only

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
2,294 Posts
If I had kept my car, this may well have been my next mod/upgrade!
If the OP wants any info about putting a facelift wheel into the pre-facelift cars, hit me up!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The st3 which has heated seats, has a transverse cup holder with the heated seat switches integrated. Because of this. The E brand handle is in the shape of a Z and protrudes through a small hole next to the shifter.

So this swap would be for the st1/2 only
Ah gotcha. Now that you mention it I do believe I've read that prior to this. It's probably possible to switch out the handles but that would definitely mean messing with the cable.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
8,295 Posts
Ah gotcha. Now that you mention it I do believe I've read that prior to this. It's probably possible to switch out the handles but that would definitely mean messing with the cable.
Yeah handle would definitely need to be switched out. I'm pretty sure the front cable is the same part number. I replaced all mine in 2019. Can't remember off the top of my head but I want to say there was no difference in part number between trims, only whether the car had disk or drum brakes (in the case of base model foci)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts