Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I don't usually do this but feel i'm at a dead end. I live in AZ and the best pump fuel here is 91 octane except for race gas. I have a 2016 ST with a drop in filter & 91 Octane tune by Randy @ Mountune. Let me say for starters that Randy is the fu**in man. His tunes are unbelievable.

I ordered an AP from Mountune a few months back and installed Randy's original OTS tune. After a few days and some data logs I sent him a few files and received a revision I was told to drive on for 1 week. I experienced a LOT of engine knock issues, and subsequently have had two following revisions with reduced spark sent to me over the past couple of months.

I've tried everything you can think of to reduce engine knock. I've tried gas from the following stations:

76, Costco, Chevron, Shell, and Valero... all of which have been 91 Octane fuel.

I've sent many data logs to Randy over the last few months all of which have had very "noisy" readings. I'm still getting a lot of negative corrections. These corrections range from -.50 - 4.50, and happen at random. I can't find a pattern or reason for the knock. Currently it's very hot outside (100+) ambient temps in the daytime, but I was experiencing these issues before the hot weather. Even when running the car in Slot 4 (Bad gas mode) with a reduction in spark to reduce knock, i'm still experiencing engine knock.

Today I pulled and checked my plugs to make sure they were gaped properly and weren't fouled. They looked totally normal with slight carbon buildup and orangeish brown tinge to them. I also filled up with Costco 91 Octane fuel and drove around a bit. Lots of negative corrections. I finally uninstalled the tune and said "f*ck it," i'm gonna write up a thread.

Any advice? Anyone else out there with these issues? There has to be an "acceptable" amount of negative corrections, and there have to be others out there with similar issues. How many people just install a tune and forget about it? There are people that don't even leave the AP in the car after installing a tune. How do they know what's actually happening day in / day out?

Any valuable input is much appreciated.

BTW my OAR is always @ -1

My intake temps are always high

Most of my corrections happen at highway speeds, but the big ones happen when i'm going slow and punch the throttle. Below is a pic of a typical drive. This is only after about 5 min. Ignore the OAR, I had just reinstalled the tune and it hadn't reached -1 again yet.

Thank you all,

--Bradley--

Ign Corrections.jpg

·
Registered
187 Posts
At this point I would fill up with race gas to see if you are experiencing false knock. Are you running an aftermarket front mount intercooler or stock?

I am tuned by Randy as well with 93 Octane here in Florida, but I am getting no where near the negative corrections you are experiencing if not any.

Try race gas and see if the issues persist. If they do it's probably something else causing it. Randy won't let your car blow up though so don't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's really good advice, and also something I've already done. Randy asked me to try this experiment. I filled up with 3 gallons of 100 octane while I had 1/4 tank of 91 in the car. I performed some data logs and there was basically no knock, but the results were very "noisy." Normally with race gas the advance ignition timing is pegged at the max... somewhere around +6. My readings were all in the positive but all over the place. One cylinder would be at +4, another +2.5... and another at +3. The readings also bounce around all over the place throughout this process.

California, Nevada, and Arizona have the same gas regulations so it's to my understanding that we have the same gas as California. I don't think I can be getting gas that is THAT bad. Also like I stated before I installed the COBB Stage 0 87 Octane tune and still got -3 on two cylinders.

Here is an example of what I mean by noisy. You can see how sporadic the Ignition corrections are on all Cylinders. I've seen logs from other cars and they should look more uniform that this. Also the road i'm driving on is very smooth, so I doubt road conditions are a contributing factor. I use the same stretch of road every time for my logs. I'm wondering if it's possible I have a loose or bad knock sensor. I've checked everything under the hood and can't find anything loose.

Noisy Corrections.PNG

·
Registered
196 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the differences in added timing. These cars are designed to add timing to the point of knock and each cylinder will add it differently. If adding race fuel reduced negative corrections, than the issue is entirely the tune and fuel quality. Either way, his tune is adding a lot of timing - greater than +4 is pretty ballsy. His strategies are probably just too aggressive for the quality of fuel you have access to. I'd consider changing tunes. I had a similar issue with Stratified flash tunes and I have since moved on to a custom Freektune.

Also, why give Randy props if you had so many issues? I have nothing against him, but it seems odd.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
First you only need to look at the data logs. Dont get hung up on monitoring the ap. Its going to go from negative to positive, it will never not show negative correction on it. Second you need to update you fmic. It gets to hot can cause knock. Last my personal opinion. get a different tuner. I do not like randy's tunes, do not think they are good. I had Randy as my first tuner. I had the EXACT same problems as you. Im in SoCal. Went though the same song and dance. I got better intercooler and switch to justin at freektune. Magically I had no more excessive knock o my data logs

·
Registered
71 Posts
First you only need to look at the data logs. Dont get hung up on monitoring the ap. Its going to go from negative to positive, it will never not show negative correction on it. Second you need to update you fmic. It gets to hot can cause knock. Last my personal opinion. get a different tuner. I do not like randy's tunes, do not think they are good. I had Randy as my first tuner. I had the EXACT same problems as you. Im in SoCal. Went though the same song and dance. I got better intercooler and switch to justin at freektune. Magically I had no more excessive knock o my data logs
Same here. I live in AZ and ran Randys 91 tune with an intercooler and always had knock issues (sometimes as much as -5.00). I just went back to the stock tune because I didn't want to deal with the anxiety of thinking I was going to melt a piston while driving down the freeway.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Ryan Martin with purple drank tuning. That dude is the man.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the advice. After much research, emails, and calling around to meet people I decided to go with Purple Drank tuning. Ryan Martin built my maps and we have done revision so far. After only the first revision, negative corrections are completely gone. I went for a drive this evening in 100* temps and had no issues at all what-so-ever. The power delivery is unbelievable. I also mounted a Steeda FMIC to combat these super high temps in Phoenix. So far I can't say enough about the work Ryan has been able to do with my car, even in this very short time period. The car idles better, doesn't A/C bog anymore, and just feels better to drive overall. I will be repping hard for these guys.

I can't really find much information here about PD tuning, so once i'm completely done with my revisions I will be doing a complete review. Thank you Burnboy for the great suggestion on a pro-tuner. This really has been the best thing that's happened to my situation since I purchased my car.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Glad you got it figured out and I guess some are luckier than others.

I've been running Randy's tunes for over a year with no issues. I've rolled raced and daily drove his E30 map for six months straight without my AP in the car, lol.

Put it back when I started experimenting with regular fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
FWIW I've run Stratified Flash Tunes for two years through a number of revisions. I always get both 91 and 93 slots on the map because we have pretty good 93 in Maine most of the time, but not everywhere. And some 93 is better than others.

This year I find the 93 gas started creating more knock events and negative corrections than in previous years when stations switched from winter to summer gas. We have locally 93 Gulf (best); Shell (pretty good) and; Sunoco (less good).

I got some Gulf 93 and ran the 91 slot and the knocks and corrections went away. I went to the 93 slot and they came back. I added some MMT and stayed on the 93 slot and the knocks and timing corrections went away.

So maybe this year we just have worse gas than last year? Regardless, mine's a daily so happy to run the 91 slot and not worry; and I'll test periodically to see if gas blending has improved.

Basically, and given what you've reported above, that's a long way of saying that I don't think it's the tune so much as your gas.

Hope that helps,
Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts