Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone just wondering what Fluids people are running for performance?
Coolant?
Oil?
Brake Fluid?
Trans?
Anything I left out?
I'm in Los Angeles so Hot weather is a factor for me. Any tips for keeping my st cool?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I read somewhere on here that you can do a higher ratio of distilled water to coolant mix to help? Is that safe?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I read somewhere on here that you can do a higher ratio of distilled water to coolant mix to help? Is that safe?
Coolant is just to assist with keeping the water from freezing in the winter months and also have anti corrosion inhibiters in them to assist with keeping the water from corroding the block. However in Cali I doubt you see much freezing weather? I run a about a 75/25 mix (Distilled Water/Coolant) in my Foxbody. I'm in south Texas so we hardly get freezing weather and even when we do it doesn't last long enough to actually freeze the water in the block. Ill more then likely do the same when I flush the radiator on the ST.

As for the other fluids, I'm running Castrol Edge Full Synthetic. I came to this conclusion after doing some research, however oil is a hot topic on the internet and everyone has there flavor. Honestly, I usually just run whatever is on sale, however wanted to be a little more diligent with my oil choice in the ST. As for trans fluid or brake fluids...couldn't tell you. I haven't messed with them in the ST. Go ahead and get you a bag of popcorn and pop a top...this thread will get real fun very quickly.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Coolant - Dexcool. You should be able to safely run higher water mixture, but I'm lazy and just buy the premix stuff. Coolant does raise the boiling temp of water too.
Oil - I run Mobil 1 5w30. Proven oil, readily and available locally for cheap. I usually get a Mobil 1 filter too, but otherwise I'd get the Ford ones. I run the slightly longer filter, that makes the capacity 6 qts, to make oil changes easier.
Brake Fluid - Any decent DOT4 should be fine. In the past I have ran ATE type 200- good value. Right now I'm trying out the "JEGS" branded high perf DOT fluid
Trans - Calls for dual clutch fluid which is thinner than typical manual trans fluid. Almost all companies have a dual clutch fluid, only a few meet the ford spec... does it matter? who knows. I have 2 bottles of Motul on the shelf, it meets the ford spec and is full synth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you guys are running the 5w 30 oil I recommend the 15w-50 oil from Ford or Mobil because it is thicker than the 5w and believe me when you are pushing your ST on the street you want that 15w oil in there I work for a ford dealership and I’ve seen countless STs coming in for that reason.

·
Registered
825 Posts
If you guys are running the 5w 30 oil I recommend the 15w-50 oil from Ford or Mobil because it is thicker than the 5w and believe me when you are pushing your ST on the street you want that 15w oil in there I work for a ford dealership and I’ve seen countless STs coming in for that reason.
And this is your FIRST POST?
I call TROLL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
And this is your FIRST POST?
I call TROLL.
Bro when your engine is hot let’s jus say when your in the canyons the oil turns into water pretty much when it gets hot so that 15w 50 stays consistent in its thickness under hot temperatures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Obviously you guys don’t track it as much as I do that’s why I run that oil no need to hate just know if you track your ST run a slightly thicker oil no need for the hate

·
Registered
344 Posts
Obviously you guys don’t track it as much as I do that’s why I run that oil no need to hate just know if you track your ST run a slightly thicker oil no need for the hate
I think you may have shown your lack of knowledge by recommending 15W-xx. The 15 is your winter weight and has nothing to do with your operating temperature viscosity. You are correct if tracking a 50 would be ideal but your 15W is a bit high unless you live in 50 degree ambient. Most people daily their car and running 15W-50 would be overkill. If you have heavily modified your ST or are tracking then the higher weights are recommended, otherwise you will increase wear if you are daily driving and not getting the oil up to operating temp. There is a reason ford engineers recommended 5W30. I personally run 10W40, but this is due to living in a hotter climate and having a big turbo.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I say you are wrong, and I have been racing and doing track days longer than you probably been alive.

Your comment is incorrect on so many levels. Especially if you are a tech for Ford, I am surprised you are recommending anything other than whats on the oil cap. Do you have more experience than Ford engineers?

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I think you may have shown your lack of knowledge by recommending 15W-xx. The 15 is your winter weight and has nothing to do with your operating temperature viscosity. You are correct if tracking a 50 would be ideal but your 15W is a bit high unless you live in 50 degree ambient. Most people daily their car and running 15W-50 would be overkill. If you have heavily modified your ST or are tracking then the higher weights are recommended, otherwise you will increase wear if you are daily driving and not getting the oil up to operating temp. There is a reason ford engineers recommended 5W30. I personally run 10W40, but this is due to living in a hotter climate and having a big turbo.
Yes sir.

Running a thicker oil just because you are "racing" through our California canyons, is absurd. If its seeing track time, then during that time if it sees fit then I could agree. If we are talking about spirited driving, 5w30 will handle just fine. I seriously doubt anyone is boiling brake fluid or overheating engine oil on any public roads, canyon or otherwise.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Amsoil Signature Series oil and filter, 15k drain interval. I don't use anything else in any of my vehicles, so I guess that makes me a "fan boy" lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Amsoil Signature Series oil and filter, 15k drain interval. I don't use anything else in any of my vehicles, so I guess that makes me a "fan boy" lol
Nope dude...same here; SSO 5W30 and EaO34 filter. I haven't gone to 15k yet. I went 1k on first oil, then 6k on the second oil and did an analysis. That Analysis and recommendation at 6k (on the oil) showed 10k was plenty safe. Just to make the numbers even, I'm going to 9K on this oil change and then do another analysis.

My favorite comment ever is the "cheap insurance" one. It's not. Oil analysis is fact. I know people have 3K mile oil changes chiseled in stone in their brains, and that's fine...but the only thing 3K mile oil changes accomplish today is a waste of money (which I truly don't care what you spend yours on cause I have my vices as well), and the environment. Someone's gotta dispose of that crap.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Nope dude...same here; SSO 5W30 and EaO34 filter. I haven't gone to 15k yet. I went 1k on first oil, then 6k on the second oil and did an analysis. That Analysis and recommendation at 6k (on the oil) showed 10k was plenty safe. Just to make the numbers even, I'm going to 9K on this oil change and then do another analysis.

My favorite comment ever is the "cheap insurance" one. It's not. Oil analysis is fact. I know people have 3K mile oil changes chiseled in stone in their brains, and that's fine...but the only thing 3K mile oil changes accomplish today is a waste of money (which I truly don't care what you spend yours on cause I have my vices as well), and the environment. Someone's gotta dispose of that crap.
If you take your used oil to your local Autozone store they will recycle it. https://www.autozone.com/landing/page.jsp?name=environmental_responsibility

Reactions: rspec2014

·
Registered
484 Posts

I change mine between 10-15k depending. I've spoken with Amsoil tech's on the phone multiple times over the years with questions, and my mind is completely at ease, if they say it's good to 15k, it's good to 15k. They've won me over. I take my old oil to AZ as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I change mine between 10-15k depending. I've spoken with Amsoil tech's on the phone multiple times over the years with questions, and my mind is completely at ease, if they say it's good to 15k, it's good to 15k. They've won me over. I take my old oil to AZ as well.

I'd be in the same boat for a 10K to 15K OCI on a good oil like that, but I've read a bunch recently on soot issues in DI engines. Too much soot = more wear.

I'll go the interval the car determines on this change and pull a sample for Oil Analysis. I'll be looking for a particle count and seeing what the metal counts look like.

Running Redline 5w-30 on a FL910s... It meets WSS-M2C913-C so I'm happy.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'd be in the same boat for a 10K to 15K OCI on a good oil like that, but I've read a bunch recently on soot issues in DI engines. Too much soot = more wear.

I'll go the interval the car determines on this change and pull a sample for Oil Analysis. I'll be looking for a particle count and seeing what the metal counts look like.

Running Redline 5w-30 on a FL910s... It meets WSS-M2C913-C so I'm happy.
I've bore scoped my motor several times, 60k miles, im good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts