Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just got a focus st yesterday actually! Sorry if this has been asked.

I was honestly looking to get a more aggressive turbo sound out of her..more woosh. I wanted the cp-e cold side charge pipe with BOV for future upgrades. I also was thinking I might as well do the hot side too. Obviously the rear engine mount..was thinking cobb.

Do I need a tune for the charge pipes? What about an intake and catback exhaust? Really wasn't looking to tune her yet.

I'm guessing the answer is no but i just want to double check. First turbo engine.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Our platform is magic, the computer torque targets and pulls power to reign in the engine.

You can put on a more open exhaust, bigger intake, larger intercooler, and you wont need a tune. The ECU will keep you right where you are (+ or - 5hp at any given moment)

If you want more turbo noise, this can be gained through deliding your filter box. Want more exhaust noise? cut off the res, or muffler, or both if you wanna be obnoxious.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Yeah just get a green filter and either remove the air box lid of replace it with the RS air box lid. For under a hundred dollars it will sound much more lively, 30 bucks or so if you just do the filter and remove the stock lid.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys! I do plan on doing autocross with the focus eventually so ill probably do the H/C pipes intake and catback...eventually downpipe maybe a turbo upgrade. The sound is just a bonus haha

·
Registered
455 Posts
thanks guys! I do plan on doing autocross with the focus eventually so ill probably do the H/C pipes intake and catback...eventually downpipe maybe a turbo upgrade. The sound is just a bonus haha
You should start with a better fmic if you plan to do autocross. Heatsoak is a ***** with the stock unit even if youre not pushing the car..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
The FOST has been pretty competitive in G Street (GS). The only things you could do to stay in GS, would be the Resonator/muffler Delete or Cat-back and the Green Filter.

You can take off the air box lid, but don't lose it. I'm pretty sure you would have to put it back on for each meet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you dont need a tune for any mods. but the tune is very worth the money.
www.youtube.com/jasongeorgievski
The tune is where the power is at. Why would anyone mod the intake or the exhaust on this car without a tune? Must like spending money for zero return (unless you think a woosh sound and a grumpy exhaust sound makes you sound more powerful, in fact it doesn't make you more powerful, this car's intake and exhaust system is good for up to 300 hp easily).
I'm well aware a tune is where the power is at. I will get one, just in a few months. I don't want to completely destroy the warranty yet, that is all. Still have 19.4k miles and 25 months. Bolt on parts can be removed..going of how my ram is..even if you de tune it, the tune can still be found.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I'd just save my money then. Bolt on's without a tune is pretty much useless, this car already has an exhaust and an intake that will flow to 300 hp, improving that on a 250 hp car isn't really worth wasting the money on in my humble opinion. I'm running an E30 tune on a car I just bought a few weeks ago...500 miles...she pulls like a freight train now, guess its all in what you want to do, I can take the tune out of my car in minutes and go for any warranty service needed, no worry.
You can do warranty work on the car even with mods on the engine, even a tune. (informing you from exp.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really? There is no proof that the car was tuned on these? If thats true then ill just get a tuner now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can do warranty work on the car even with mods on the engine, even a tune. (informing you from exp.)
I didnt know ford was so lax with mods. They wont argue with you that your mods caused the issue? I know with my ram they will argue with you till you are tired of arguing

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I highly encourage you shop around for tuner's if you haven't already. Good luck!
I was looking at the Cobb accessport but its pricey. Whats the best tuner to choose..id like to find a place in jersey to get a protune.

I have a diablo trinity on my ram. How is diablo on these? I have an i2 siting around, but if tuning isn't there with it ill sell it and get something else.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I didnt know ford was so lax with mods. They wont argue with you that your mods caused the issue? I know with my ram they will argue with you till you are tired of arguing
"Ford" knows people are going to work and mod their platform even tho Ford Co. made it a pain in the ass to work on these vehicles. (bozo's)
If you bring the car in for warranty work and they inform you, that your car is broken cause of a mod, they HAVE to prove it, provide evidence that the part was the cause of the malfunction.
Truck's are a pain in the ass and no one wants to work on those. lol
Always let the car warm up before going into turbo mode, Remember the clutch is only "IN AND OUT" when you down shift DONT hold the clutch in the middle to help you slow down, your destroying the clutch system in the transmission housing.

I dont mean to insult your driving ability but this car is completely different from any truck or other vehicle on the road, and our transmission is kinda fragile. Well the syncro's really.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
They will, I know people that have been denied warranty because of tune. even fighting it he lost and paid for the blown motor. another guy is fighting it right now. his only mod is a COBB Cat-back, intake tube and filter. no tune, no other mods. and he has little to no compression on cyc1, they refusing to pay for a new motor because of mods. again he is fighting it but Ford will likely win if he doesn't pay for a lawyer that will cost him money anyways.

modder beware, warranty doesn't stick around if you start modding, depends on what you want warranty work on of course. if you put a cat-back on and need a seat motor replaced then you will still have warranty for it ;)

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I know a guy with an OEM ford Focus with a cracked ringlan and ford only wanted to fix and replace the Head. Well they did this THREE times....Ford finally broke down due the relentlessness of the customer and replaced the block.
Screw big Corp.

It really all depends on how your car looks under the hood really.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts