Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My immediate plan for under the hood is a Depo 3.5” intercooler and a Depo downpipe. I already have a green filter and I’ll probably join the bandwagon for a Velossatech big mouth soon. I’ll be keeping the stock turbo and going with a custom 93 tune (and colder plugs), probably from Stratified. Still going back and forth between a Mountune BPV and a Turbo Smart 50/50.

Just curious what improvements others have seen from aftermarket intake and intercooler plumbing and a datalogged tune on top of the intercooler and downpipe?

I’ve read a few places that the plumbing isn’t a restriction “until 500 horsepower” or not unless you go big turbo but what about other factors like spool up time, consistency, reduced stress on the turbo, or temps? Can you guys give me an idea of what that additional $350 (from Depo as an example) in plumbing would get me? I’m just after an ideal stock turbo setup that I can be happy with for the next couple years and I want to get it all out of the way now so I can focus on other parts of the car.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
RS intake ftw!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Maximize the stock turbo system?

• Upgrade to Stage 3/FBO as you seemed have planned already
  • Get an E20 tune, not 93 at E20 you get 97% of the benefit without the extra fuel consumption (if you want to daily it at max power)
  • Either max out the stock turbo wastegate preload (free) or get a TurboSmart IWG75
  • 2 Range Colder Spark Plugs

I'd recommend live dyno tuning to eek out the last little bit.

That would put you over 300hp, I'd say between 300-310hp

Pipes and BOV's won't help very much if at all.

Mount up some drag radials and it will run 12's

Byran @ JST's former street car

Pilo's ST (JST Tuned) *Running preload mod

Matt aka Silver_shooter aka Shooter tuned (Trap Speed Record)

All stock turbo cars.

I would seriously consider running a tune just for E30 AND WMI (500cc) so you can get a couple more degrees of timing.

Reactions: Gray

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the info brother. I haven't come across the wastegate mod in my forum dredging yet so I'll read up on that. I have been noticing that JST tuning is behind more of the fastest Focus STs that I've been finding online so I need to do more research to weigh them against Stratified for my tune. I've also read about a lot of happy customer's using Unleashed tunes and I actually still have my SCT X4 from my last car. Seeing that you used Unleashed, am I correct that the SCT tuner lacks some of the features that you get from an AP, like launch control, traction control, flat foot shifting, and on the fly map switching? The SCT device seemed so bare bones when I used it on my Mustang compared to the APs I've seen in some local WRX and GTIs.

Also, side note, I'm happy to see that the fastest stock turbo Focus STs (if those video titles are correct) are running a just few tenths behind the fastest FBO N/A 3.7L Mustangs without aftermarket converters. My last car was a 2012 3.7l Mustang which I ADORED but one of the main reasons I sold it after I paid it off was that the performance ceiling on it was pretty low without spending another $10k on what was a $12k car. I'll probably sell my Focus in 3 years too but it's good to know I could break into the 11's for much, much less cash than my Mustang if I end up in a situation where I could keep the Focus as a weekend car.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Appreciate the info brother. I haven't come across the wastegate mod in my forum dredging yet so I'll read up on that. I have been noticing that JST tuning is behind more of the fastest Focus STs that I've been finding online so I need to do more research to weigh them against Stratified for my tune. I've also read about a lot of happy customer's using Unleashed tunes and I actually still have my SCT X4 from my last car. Seeing that you used Unleashed, am I correct that the SCT tuner lacks some of the features that you get from an AP, like launch control, traction control, flat foot shifting, and on the fly map switching? The SCT device seemed so bare bones when I used it on my Mustang compared to the APs I've seen in some local WRX and GTIs.

Also, side note, I'm happy to see that the fastest stock turbo Focus STs (if those video titles are correct) are running a just few tenths behind the fastest FBO N/A 3.7L Mustangs without aftermarket converters. My last car was a 2012 3.7l Mustang which I ADORED but one of the main reasons I sold it after I paid it off was that the performance ceiling on it was pretty low without spending another $10k on what was a $12k car. I'll probably sell my Focus in 3 years too but it's good to know I could break into the 11's for much, much less cash than my Mustang if I end up in a situation where I could keep the Focus as a weekend car.
Adjusting Stock Preload - http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-guides/43769-tighten-those-wga-s-stock-turbos-please.html

Cobb AP is nice but if you already have a X4 use that and contact [email protected] I bought my X4 used for $200 and I don't miss the map switching features at all. Torrie is very reasonable and will keep improving your tune.

Stock turbo ST can easily run mid 12's.

It takes a tiny bit more work to run 11's but you can surely generate enough power to run 11's, even 10's on the stock block.

My signature only shows up properly every once in awhile -

CPe/Steeda Intercooler
ATP GTX3071 with high boost actuator (20 psi min)
Mountune Intake, Hard Pipe and Silicone Hoses
AEM Water-Methanol (currently 500 cc as I lost the other nozzle somewhere)
Thermal R&D Turbo Black Exhaust

I am working hard to make the next event and I need a clutch. No way the stock clutch will handle 7000 rpm launch on slicks @28 psi

Reactions: Gray

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CPe/Steeda Intercooler
ATP GTX3071 with high boost actuator (20 psi min)
Mountune Intake, Hard Pipe and Silicone Hoses
AEM Water-Methanol (currently 500 cc as I lost the other nozzle somewhere)
Thermal R&D Turbo Black Exhaust

I am working hard to make the next event and I need a clutch. No way the stock clutch will handle 7000 rpm launch on slicks @28 psi
Very nice setup dude. Did you go with the polished GTX3071? I've seen one mounted basically on top of the engine in an '06 WRX STI and it looked absolutely gorgeous. Closest E85 around here is an hour away so meth injection has been in the back of my mind. Heard great things about the Nitrous Outlet stuff over the years though and I live 20 minutes from a drag strip that offers Nitrous fills so I have better access to NOS than E85 oddly enough. Planning to start my research on using spray on our Ecoboost this weekend.

I'm interested to see what quarter mile time and speed you get once you have everything sorted. I've noticed that there's SO MUCH conjecture on this forum so it would be great to see a real dyno from your car for comparison purposes as well, i.e. "here's what slicks and verified 380whp equates to on a prepped track."

I read up on the wastegate mod. Appreciate the link! Seems like yet another thing that contributes to the overall feel of inconsistency that these cars have. I think I'll just go ahead and order the Turbosmart IWG75 once I start tuning. I'm a big fan of their parts from my turbo VTEC days and $140 is not a bad price at all for a few extra PSI essentially across the whole powerband.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Nitrous Outlet is great to deal with.

I can sell you my IWG75, PM and I'll ship it out this week. I can't reuse it on the turbo kit anyway.

400+ hp and slicks/drag radials equal high 1.8x

I can't spill the beans yet because it's not just one thing but a couple of things that contribute to terrible 60 ft times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts