Ford Focus ST Forum banner
161 - 168 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Yokohama A052 Tire Wear @24 Runs

Front tire in top pic, rear tire in bottom. Outside edge is to the right, I believe, for both pics. Both tires (they've been rotated a couple times) are showing that a little more negative camber would be appreciated.

OPR (other people's rubber) on the front tire is primarily from rolling back to the paddock as it's pretty self-cleaning during higher speed driving. The rear tire gets some pickup and I didn't bother cleaning them. Probably should have rotated tires front-to-back after the first day at Nationals to help clean them. Next event they're used, I'll do so to equalize the wear.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yokohama A052 Tire Wear @24 Runs

Front tire in top pic, rear tire in bottom. Outside edge is to the right, I believe, for both pics. Both tires (they've been rotated a couple times) are showing that a little more negative camber would be appreciated.

OPR (other people's rubber) on the front tire is primarily from rolling back to the paddock as it's pretty self-cleaning during higher speed driving. The rear tire gets some pickup and I didn't bother cleaning them. Probably should have rotated tires front-to-back after the first day at Nationals to help clean them. Next event they're used, I'll do so to equalize the wear.

View attachment 395955

View attachment 395956
That wear is drastically better than what we've seen on the DS/GS FoST and FoRS's. More camber would always be welcome, but you were right about the diff being the key upgrade in STH. Not only does it help pull the cars in and out of corners, it helps equalize the tire wear.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
And checking wheel-to-strut clearance while I'm in there...

This is the street rim, 18x9 +40mm with 245/40-18 Michelin PS4S tire. What looks like a pin in the sidewall is light reflecting off the edge of the wheel rim. I should have taken this pic with the Yokohamas on the 18x9 +38 rims, but... well, it looks like there's clearance for 265/35-18 Michelins. Note the glob of melted pylon on the brake line!

Automotive tire Tire Gas Auto part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
That wear is drastically better than what we've seen on the DS/GS FoST and FoRS's. More camber would always be welcome, but you were right about the diff being the key upgrade in STH. Not only does it help pull the cars in and out of corners, it helps equalize the tire wear.
I've ordered the Powerflex adjustable camber bushings at front of lower arm and standard bushings for the rear of lower arm. Pretty certain the anti-lift bushings are illegal for STH since they change the geometry by replacing the bracket. Will be interesting to see how close the rim gets to the strut and I've got three sets to check (+40 18", +40 17", & +38 18"). The 17" will be worst case, I think. Well, except for the 17x8" +55 I have all seasons mounted on and I may just have to give up on them.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Ordered the Steeda front swaybar from the ebay vendor (modernautomotiveperformance) who swears they have it in stock and cancelled the Steeda backorder.
Ordered the Frankenbrake parts.
Ordered front lower arms to swap out while installing the Powerflex bushings.

Now to find FoST front hubs to swap out the wheel studs... White Bear & Rock Auto had none and I recall someone mentioning hubs/bearings were hard to find lately.

P.S. Holding off on ordering spare axles. My bank account can't take that sort of damage after ordering more essential parts!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Examining National Competitors

I've excluded the AWD competitors since their setup choices have different requirements.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Eric staggered the tires. 265/35-18 front on 18x9 rims with 235/45-17 rear on 17x8 rims (Yokohamas).

Eric writes:
"My reasons for running staggered are two fold.
  • 1st, front/rear balance. I know this can be achieved with alignments, spring rates, bars, or all kinds of different methods. I use tires because it allows me to run lower rear spring rates as this is a dual purpose car. The roads in my city are terrible, so it makes daily driving so much more reasonable.
  • 2nd, because it's unusual. To up the game, I now have in the garage some fresh AO52s in 265/35R18 (x2) and 235/45R17 (x2). Width and diameter...just because. I could say it's for reasons of rear damping improvements with the taller sidewall relative to the front, or weight reduction with the smaller rears; but it's really just because I think it's weird.
"

Brad uses stock front swaybar with 500 lb/in front springs, 850 lb/in rear springs on 0.65 motion ratio(?). Redshift coilovers. Manual transmission.
Tires are likely 255/40-17 front and 235/45-17 rear (Yokohama). Possibly no LSD.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

Todd has 650 lb/in front springs and 950 lb/in rear springs. Redshift coilovers. -3.6 deg front camber. Peloquin LSD. Tires are probably 265/35-18 front and 255/35-18 rear (Falkens).

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 · (Edited)
Rear Camber Arms

I've decided to try more negative camber in the rear. Since we don't use camber plates in the rear, STH allows us to replace one arm with a fixed or adjustable camber arm (rule 14.8.H.1). A limitation is the bushings must remain like stock (rule 14.B).

Suspension bushings may be replaced with bushings of any materials (except metal) as long as they fit in the original location. Offset bushings may be used. In a replacement bushing, the amount of metal relative to the amount of non-metallic material may not be increased. This does not authorize a change in type of bushing (e.g., ball and socket replacing a cylindrical bushing) or use of a bushing with an angled hole whose direction differs from that of the original bushing. If the standard bushing accommodated multi-axis motion via compliance of the component material(s), the replacement bushing may not be changed to accommodate such motion via a change in bushing type, for example to a spherical bearing or similar component involving internal moving parts. Pins or keys may be used to prevent the rotation of alternate bushings but may serve no other purpose than that of retaining the bushing in the desired position.

1. Generic rear adjustable camber arms are legal for STH. They're sold under several brand names. Heavy, inexpensive, and cheap, I've chosen them for testing purposes. My first examination suggests they require modification to get more negative camber as at their shortest config, they appear to be the same length as the stock arms. To get a larger range, I'll try thinning the jam nuts and shaving the adjustable end of the arm. Is it possible to remove the jam nut, like Agency Power does?
White Bicycle part Font Metal Fashion accessory

2. Massive Speed rear adjustable camber arms are not legal for STH because they use a rod end (arrowed). It should be possible to replace that rod end with a legal bushing, just have to match the threads. I do like their sturdy arm design and it appears to have a good camber range without modification. If somebody who has a set of these (maybe @UnfocusedST ?) could measure & report the thread pitch & diameter, I'd appreciate it!
Purple Plant Violet Bicycle part Bumper

3. Similarly, the Godspeed rear adjustable camber arms are likely not legal for STH because they use a spherical bearing (arrowed), though in the picture it looks like they use a regular bushing surrounded by rubber or hard plastic and that would be legal. It should be possible to replace that rod end with a legal bushing, just have to match the threads. I like the "speed holes", however Godspeed does not have a good reputation and I question whether the depression is properly chamfered to avoid stress cracks. And why three nuts? Is the outermost one part of the spherical bearing?
Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Bicycle part Rim

4. JBR's rear adjustable camber arms are definitely not legal for STH unless the spherical bearing is replaced. It should be possible to replace that rod end with a legal bushing, just have to match the threads. Here, too, I question whether the depression is properly chamfered to avoid stress cracks.
Automotive lighting Household hardware Auto part Circle Machine

5. Agency Power rear adjustable camber arms appear to be legal for STH, using polyurethane around the bushings. Stupid expensive, too, at $500 per pair retail. How do they get away with no jam nut?
Bicycle part Rim Jewellery Auto part Circle

161 - 168 of 168 Posts