Ford Focus ST Forum banner
81 - 100 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Have you had any issues with bump steer after lowering your vehicle? After lowering my vehicle I'm noticing some weird oscillations while going over bumps, fairly certain it's due to the Coilover installation in the rear combined with running soft rebound settings.
I'm only lowered 3/8" in front and with 525 lb/in springs there's not much deflection, so no, bump steer has not been evident.

What are your thoughts on an Anti lift kit like the ones offered by Whiteline and Superpro?
could a similar effect be made by running a stiffer spring rate in the rear(or all together) to counteract torsional rotation?
As far as I know, anti-lift (aka anti-squat) is achieved via aligning the suspension members so they gradually bind. Compliance of bushings and that alignment determine how harsh the bind is. The technology was well developed in the early '60s for double-A arm suspensions to control soft suspensions when damper technology was barely adequate and tires were skinny. As dampers improved into the '70s and tires became wider and suspensions became stiffer as a result of accommodating aero downforce, most of the anti- alignments went away or became very small.

So my current thoughts on anti-lift is that a stiff suspension removes the benefit, particularly for a McPherson strut car that turns left/right (instead of a drag racer, where soft might be advantageous for launch). After all, we try to eliminate binding wherever we can for the most predictable handling (e.g. spring seats and swaybar links), so why intentionally introduce it? (*)

(*) okay, technically I introduce tire binding by having a high rear toe-in, but that's to heat the rear tires and provide stability when tripoding.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Dont forget to spray some hairspray on the intercooler couplers. I had a charge pipe blow during testing when I first installed the Vortech. It's been 2 years since I've installed it and god knows many autox's it been through and it hasnt blown off since then.
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
A few notes from my experience installing the Vortech intercooler in case someone is following in my footsteps. Mostly I followed How To Remove Your Front Bumper Cover on 15+ Focus ST - YouTube for removing the bumper cover and Focus ST Vortech Front Mount Intercooler 2013-2018 Installation - YouTube for the installing the intercooler.

Exceptions to the videos:
  • I jacked up the car, removed front wheels, and undid the screws & body clip in the wheel wheels before putting the wheels back on and driving up the ramps.
  • I didn't bother unplugging the headlights and setting them aside, merely swung them up to undo the clip under each headlight. During reassembly, I did unplug the left headlight so I was only juggling one headlight.
  • I also skipped unplugging the fog lights and merely swung the bumper cover out of the way. There is enough wire length.
  • There was a screw left over when I was done reassembling. Everything I can see that should have a screw still has a screw, so I can only think it is one of the two screws securing the AGS air duct that got skipped.

This overly complicated clip & bracket fell off when I removed the bumper cover. Took me a little while to sort out that it is supposed to be installed this way.

While lifting the Vortech intercooler into place, the AGS wouldn't move quite high enough, so eventually the frame cracked in this corner. While annoying, I don't consider this serious. The CJ Pony Parts video dispenses with the AGS, so there were no hints on what I might have been doing wrong. Their video also incorrectly leaves the mounting tabs under the lip rather than resting on top of the lip as the Vortech instructions show, so the bolts are a potential failure point if you do it like the video.

In case you don't know, the hose clamp screwheads are 7mm. Handy for the left side (USA driver), but not the right side (USA passenger), where the Vortech MAF housing pushes the hose just far enough back that a socket can't reach the screwhead. A can of hairspray for the hoses was surprisingly expensive, nearly $20!

After a good warmup, Pepper passed her test drive. Now if I can just find where I stored that Accessport...

·
Super Moderator
10,236 Posts
A few notes from my experience installing the Vortech intercooler in case someone is following in my footsteps. Mostly I followed How To Remove Your Front Bumper Cover on 15+ Focus ST - YouTube for removing the bumper cover and Focus ST Vortech Front Mount Intercooler 2013-2018 Installation - YouTube for the installing the intercooler.

Exceptions to the videos:
  • I jacked up the car, removed front wheels, and undid the screws & body clip in the wheel wheels before putting the wheels back on and driving up the ramps.
  • I didn't bother unplugging the headlights and setting them aside, merely swung them up to undo the clip under each headlight. During reassembly, I did unplug the left headlight so I was only juggling one headlight.
  • I also skipped unplugging the fog lights and merely swung the bumper cover out of the way. There is enough wire length.
  • There was a screw left over when I was done reassembling. Everything I can see that should have a screw still has a screw, so I can only think it is one of the two screws securing the AGS air duct that got skipped.

This overly complicated clip & bracket fell off when I removed the bumper cover. Took me a little while to sort out that it is supposed to be installed this way.
View attachment 389570

While lifting the Vortech intercooler into place, the AGS wouldn't move quite high enough, so eventually the frame cracked in this corner. While annoying, I don't consider this serious. The CJ Pony Parts video dispenses with the AGS, so there were no hints on what I might have been doing wrong. Their video also incorrectly leaves the mounting tabs under the lip rather than resting on top of the lip as the Vortech instructions show, so the bolts are a potential failure point if you do it like the video.
View attachment 389571

In case you don't know, the hose clamp screwheads are 7mm. Handy for the left side (USA driver), but not the right side (USA passenger), where the Vortech MAF housing pushes the hose just far enough back that a socket can't reach the screwhead. A can of hairspray for the hoses was surprisingly expensive, nearly $20!

After a good warmup, Pepper passed her test drive. Now if I can just find where I stored that Accessport...

View attachment 389572
For future reference, or for anyone wanting to use some hair spray, Suave Max Hold is only 3 or 4.00 (used the girl friend's when I did mine), and sticky as hell.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
For future reference, or for anyone wanting to use some hair spray, Suave Max Hold is only 3 or 4.00 (used the girl friend's when I did mine), and sticky as hell.
Sadly, living in the sticks, there wasn't much selection.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
First Month Summary
One month after upgrading to STH from GS, Pepper has covered 2,500 miles for 9 autox days and taken 71 runs at 3 different sites in cold wet conditions (<50F), cold dry conditions (<50F), & cool dry conditions (50F-60F). The 265 Bridgestone RE-71Rs have proven to be not at their best, having trouble getting heat into the rear tires at these lower air temps, so one can expect Pepper to be loose on the first & sometimes second runs, but if the surface stays dry, then they're still the right choice as they'll surpass the Michelins by the third run (& sooner if I have a codriver). In the wet, the 245 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S have proven to be reliable and always a winner for me this year, scoring well above how I've been doing in the dry.

I wish I had experienced some warmer days with the RE-71R tires like we'll have in Las Vegas on Apr 10-11. That puts me at a little disadvantage going in, so hopefully I can adapt quickly. I'm tired of soggy & cold autox days, so certainly don't want to wish for them in Vegas!

Some Other Notes from the First Month
STH Pepper handles terrible on an autox run if I forget to turn off the traction control & ESC, especially on dry pavement. She was all over the place, nearly uncontrollable. Only tested that once by accident and didn't recognize the problem until I was waiting for the next run because the usual misbehavior was not present (bogging on tight turns for traction control & failure to slalom for ESC).

Dialing in the shock settings has been more about ride quality than actual handling characteristics. This is an unexpected aspect of the tuning process and I can only guess that, surprisingly, the springs & swaybar combo is significantly more important than the shocks for handling. We'll see if my assumption holds up when I switch from the Koni & Ground Control gear to the Fortune Auto 510 gear in the next month or so.

Wheel hop has been an issue in the wet. As rebound has gradually stiffened while tuning ride quality, the wheel hop has faded, but still more than I will accept. I'll try more adjustments before leaving for Vegas a week from Thursday, but am expecting I may have to bite the bullet for an aftermarket rear motor mount.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'm at the rear motor mount replacement part of things now. The car has been in STH trim for so long that the wheel hop, while dialed out as much as possible from playing with the rebound, is much more pronounced that the LSD is installed (probably because power is now being distributed equally vs one wheel spinning off to Narnia when it was open diff).

Reactions: gemery

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Following our trend on rebound, I've dialed in another half turn in front since the weekend. Surprised I haven't hit the adjustment stops yet! This may be the ticket for wheel hop even though Pepper's ride is on the uncomfortable side now. Hope to try some wet launches before leaving for Las Vegas next week. Will also fiddle with the front compression this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
4 clicks from full stiff on compression plus the current rebound have a good ride now. It's possible I had miscounted compression clicks and they weren't equal, but they definitely are now. Smoky tire burnout achieved with no wheel hop on the Michelin PS4S tires at a surprisingly sunny 70F ambient. If I was real ambitious, I'd swap to the race tires and try again, but think I'm satisfied with this result for Las Vegas. After all, it's not like I don't know how to cope with wheel hop.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Oh, and the Fortune Auto 510 set with 10k front & 14k rear springs shipped today via FedEx (sigh). Looking at my schedule, they'll probably be installed early May.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
If I've done everything right, Monster Tuned's Adapt-X tune is in place. Changed to the NGK LTR7BHX sparkplugs with 26 thou clearance yesterday in anticipation of installing the tune today and everything seems to be working after a 40 minute test drive, though I haven't done any performance testing she's all loaded up for this weekend in Las Vegas. 28015 miles.

Why Adapt-X? Because Oregon & Washington, where I do most of my autocrossing, is 92 octane territory and outside the region is 91 octane territory. Like my trip to Las Vegas for this weekend's Championship Tour event. Rather than try switching between a bunch of maps, the octane learning capability seems like a good match for my autox travels.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
After 2500 miles and a month of autocrosses, the nuts holding the fuse distribution block to the battery box backed off. Am going to tear things down and use blue locktite to hold them in place. Leaving for Las Vegas tomorrow morning.

Installed the MeLe battery box with an Odyssey PC680 lead acid battery (17 lbs saving over factory). Seriously was tempted by the lithium battery, but based on how I use Pepper, it sounded like lead acid was the more practical choice. Bought a Schumacher SC1355 fully automatic battery maintainer to keep a charge between-the-weekends and will be carrying a GooLoo jump starter battery as emergency gear. Already used the Schumacher to charge the battery last night and I must say that while the instructions are too dense and not clear as a result of satisfying lawyers, it really is pretty much idiot-proof (red light means you reversed the leads, amber light means there's a recharge cycle underway, green light is fully charged, automatically switches between 6V & 12V, no switches).

Unfortunately I noticed a few shortcomings in the MeLe design:
  • They intended the battery terminals to be the other way around, but the Odyssey PC680 terminals will not work on my 2018 Focus ST because the battery cable does not stretch far enough. Ultimately, I'll probably have to re-wire the main cable & that smaller wire so they will reach as designed so the wire doesn't wear through to the aluminum box.
  • One of the screws preassembled with the mounting plate was a thread short in length.
  • Despite the padding in the box seemingly making a tight fit around the battery, I found it was easy to shift in the box, so shimmed it tighter with a wooden wedge.
  • You'll need to supply your own positive terminal cover. NAPA had me covered for $3.44 and that left me an unused black cover.
  • There's no provision for attaching the sound symposer to the battery box. Now that I'm in Street Touring, looks like I'll be getting a symposer delete kit.
Don't get me wrong about MeLe. I do like the product and they sent along a very nice mask with my order!

Removing the factory battery box from under the Massive brand strut bar was not possible. I resorted to breaking the box's wall to remove it. Everything else about the install went by the book. So far the install has held up to my half hour of test driving and I didn't notice any noise from the loose sound symposer hardware.

View attachment 388950

View attachment 388951

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
After 2500 miles and a month of autocrosses, the nuts holding the fuse distribution block to the battery box backed off. Am going to tear things down and use blue locktite to hold them in place. Leaving for Las Vegas tomorrow morning.
Good luck out there and safe travels sir!

Reactions: gemery

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
FedEx delivered the Fortune Auto 510 suspension. Gonna be awhile before they're installed; I'm not even going to bother opening the box until a week from today, after I get back from Las Vegas.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Just back from the Las Vegas Championship Tour, bringing home the STH trophy. Air temps above 70F and a grippy surface meant that the rear tires started working and consequently Pepper handled a bit tight. Was able to mitigate by adding 2 psi to the rear tires.

The interstates were tolerable with my spring rates. Some side routes & the truck lanes could become unbearable. The battery box and fuse distribution block endured all the shaking.

My impressions of the Adapt-X tune are favorable. Had one moment when the fuel economy was low coming back through Tehachapi, so pulled over to check tire pressures and chalked it up to a strong headwind.

·
Super Moderator
10,236 Posts
Just back from the Las Vegas Championship Tour, bringing home the STH trophy. Air temps above 70F and a grippy surface meant that the rear tires started working and consequently Pepper handled a bit tight. Was able to mitigate by adding 2 psi to the rear tires.

The interstates were tolerable with my spring rates. Some side routes & the truck lanes could become unbearable. The battery box and fuse distribution block endured all the shaking.

My impressions of the Adapt-X tune are favorable. Had one moment when the fuel economy was low coming back through Tehachapi, so pulled over to check tire pressures and chalked it up to a strong headwind.
There's a reason all those wind turbines are up there, or are they? Have not been through there in about 25 years.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
There's a reason all those wind turbines are up there, or are they? Have not been through there in about 25 years.
More than ever before, Mojave has a ton of them, too. Last time I was through there was 11-12 years ago.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Definitely scratching Yokohama A052 off my list of possible tires. Today was my worst experience with them. Slaloming was good, but they just don't handle throttle-&-turning or brake-&-turning at the level we need for fwd performance.

81 - 100 of 172 Posts