Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Don’t forget about replacing the bushings. I’ve got 1,000 worth of bushings sitting ready to replace for the spring lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gemery

·
Registered
259 Posts
Don’t forget about replacing the bushings. I’ve got 1,000 worth of bushings sitting ready to replace for the spring lol.

What?! Bushings? Wait a minute... Those wear out too? Come on, next thing you know your gonna tell me that I need to check my wheel bearings frequently, bleed brake fluid once or twice a year even if it doesn't boil and that my battery has to be strapped down.

I was told that my rubber bushings are "maintenance free." :cry:

·
Registered
159 Posts
What?! Bushings? Wait a minute... Those wear out too? Come on, next thing you know your gonna tell me that I need to check my wheel bearings frequently, bleed brake fluid once or twice a year even if it doesn't boil and that my battery has to be strapped down.

I was told that my rubber bushings are "maintenance free." :cry:
Lol I wasn’t even thinking of that from a wear perspective. You can change both front and rear to gain camber in both and caster in front. It also helps massively with deflection when under load. All about making the tires work and I’d argue they are pretty important for a serious autocross build.

Reactions: bobharly and gemery

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The 2-piece Race Ramps arrived and I got Pepper in the air on them at 4p, just enough daylight remaining to retrieve those parts she swallowed... damn it, my special Pepper toolkit has gone walkabout!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Whew.

Toolkit snuck off to the garage that has no room for cars (because water treatment, milling machine, & a multitude of Fiat engines). Apparently I was too thorough putting things away after Pepper swallowed parts and brought the toolkit in with a tub of general tools. And then hid it under a rag.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
FedEx. Can't figure them out as they always blow their estimated delivery dates. 2 packages from 2 different directions got put on 2 different trucks in Portland for delivery today out here in Seaside. Poor guy driving the second truck was new to the area and arrived about 7p here, with what looked like about 1/3rd of a load still on the truck. It's not easy to deliver in the dark here in the boonies! UPS & USPS are sooo much more reliable.

Anyhoo, more build action shortly and then more waiting for whenever my shop can fit me in for the differential install now that I have shims, bolts, etc. Their lead time has been running at least 2 weeks, maybe 3 weeks, so crossing my fingers they can do it sooner rather than later or else I'm going to be squeezed for time as we come to the first event at the end of February.

·
Super Moderator
9,761 Posts
FedEx. Can't figure them out as they always blow their estimated delivery dates. 2 packages from 2 different directions got put on 2 different trucks in Portland for delivery today out here in Seaside. Poor guy driving the second truck was new to the area and arrived about 7p here, with what looked like about 1/3rd of a load still on the truck. It's not easy to deliver in the dark here in the boonies! UPS & USPS are sooo much more reliable.

Anyhoo, more build action shortly and then more waiting for whenever my shop can fit me in for the differential install now that I have shims, bolts, etc. Their lead time has been running at least 2 weeks, maybe 3 weeks, so crossing my fingers they can do it sooner rather than later or else I'm going to be squeezed for time as we come to the first event at the end of February.
Fedex is the worst! When I ordered my downpipe from Depo it left California, stopped in Salt Lake, went on to Kansas City on day 3, which is two hours from me. Then it went back to Salt Lake and the tracking stopped. It showed up at the Walgreen's Fedex location near me 3 days later.

Reactions: gemery

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
And today, FedEx pulled into the driveway, rifled through the truck, and delivered... nothing. Fortunately I wasn't expecting anything. Kind of suspect the gal was stuck with the leftovers from yesterday's "new guy".

My shop's transmission guy retired last month and hasn't been replaced. None of their other mechanics want to do the job, so they're not interested and now I'm having to hunt up somebody trustworthy for the job.

·
Registered
259 Posts
And today, FedEx pulled into the driveway, rifled through the truck, and delivered... nothing. Fortunately I wasn't expecting anything. Kind of suspect the gal was stuck with the leftovers from yesterday's "new guy".

My shop's transmission guy retired last month and hasn't been replaced. None of their other mechanics want to do the job, so they're not interested and now I'm having to hunt up somebody trustworthy for the job.

My sister's mechanic would do that. I was always insulted, like "What do you mean you don't want to do it? You are a mechanic, right?" But then later I"m like, "Ya' know, maybe it's better I don't have someone who doesn't want to do it going anywhere near my family's car." I have more anxiety over who works on my cars than who I pick for a medical doctor. Be patient, it takes time to find trustworthy.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Out of curiosity, why Quaiffe? I'm trying to differentiate differentials... (yes, I did that...)
Follow-up: On Facebook, Trevor Brown mentioned he had an OS Giken in his STH FoST and while he loved it when autocrossing, it was difficult in crowded parking lots. Unfortunately the car was totaled this past summer.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Buttoned up Pepper after installing the Massive front strut bar and took her for a test drive this afternoon. If there's a difference, it's subtle as I didn't really notice anything other than the rear swaybar endlinks rattle is more pervasive.

Between dropping parts into dark corners of Pepper's engine bay and changing my mind on which strut bar to use, it sure took a long time to get this first upgrade item installed! Ground Control still hasn't shipped the coilover kit and I need to make an appointment for the differential, so not in a terrible rush yet.

You will see the TB Performance front strut bar, which I decided not to use, in the For Sale section this month.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
...You will see the TB Performance front strut bar, which I decided not to use, in the For Sale section this month.
Why’d you decide against installing it?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Why’d you decide against installing it?
It's necessary to cut or remove the lower cowl. Living in the wettest corner of Oregon, neither seemed like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Decision time for race tires... do I get one of the last sets of the tried & true Bridgestones that were probably manufactured over a year ago or do I get a set of the Falkens?

Oh, ho! Turns out the decision has already been made for me. The Falkens are out of stock, so the Bridgestones it shall be!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ramps and Street Tires

Just pics and some comments. First up are the Race Ramps, 2-piece 56". They're less steep than the Rhino Ramps and, being foam, they're very light. On my slightly rough ground, I cannot drive up the Rhino Ramps. The Race Ramps are no problem and left me room for when the car is lowered. Also much harder to roll off the end of the Race Ramps, though it's slightly more difficult to be centered on them.

2-piece was useful for when I had to jack up this side, while it was on the ramps, to move the strut because it had slightly slipped when I was installing the strut bar. Just slip out the extension and place the jack at the jacking point (on this ground, I use boards). The extra cost of these ramps proved worthwhile at that point!

My preferred street tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 245/40-18. In GS trim, I have them mounted on the Premium wheels, but presumably that's not going to work when I have lots of negative camber. I had planned on buying them in 17", but, unexpectedly, the 245-width Michelins are more expensive in 17". The new set are mounted on 18x9 Ground Force GF-07 rims, which are a touch heavy at 23 lbs.

In the first picture, you can see how much wider the tire is when mounted on 18x9 (left) instead of 18x8 (right). The wear on the old tire is 19,500 miles and 91 autox runs.

In this second pic, you can see how much more the sidewall bulges on the 18x9 rim (rear) compared to the 18x8 rim (front).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Oh my. Is that a dirt floor for your work area? There is nothing more blessed than a level concrete work area.

The Race Ramps seem pretty awesome, but I have seen some comments about them compressing and rutting with age. It could be misuse or expectations. However, can you do a follow up in a few months on how they are holding up? I'd like to see a long term review on these for durability.

Years ago I had these steel ramps that were crazy heavy duty and weighed a ton... figuratively. But their flaw was they were so steep that they were really only good for small trucks (we like S10's and old Rangers) or bigger. Ironically, I never needed a ramp for those cars when I had them. So I gave them away. So I get why you choose based on approach angle. It's are really good point.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Front Swaybar Comparison

Red one is Eibach, 27mm hollow, one hole. Black one is JBR, 28.6mm hollow, two holes. Eibach bends are cleaner, JBR has some flattening which you might be able to see in the pic. Eibach has collars on the bar, so should buy some for the JBR before installing. Eibach is 80% stiffer than stock while the JBR is 85%/99% stiffer than stock depending on hole.

Ultimately, I expect to be using the JBR swaybar on stiff, but I'm going to start out with the Eibach bar. Hopefully Ground Control will get around to shipping the coilover kit so I can judge how harsh the ride is before moving up to the JBR swaybar.

In between stock and Eibach are the Steeda front swaybars (not pictured). One is 25.4mm (25% stiffer than stock) and the other is 26mm (55% stiffer than stock). For a build like mine, I believe they're too tame.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hopefully Ground Control will get around to shipping the coilover kit so I can judge how harsh the ride is before moving up to the JBR swaybar.
Speak of the devil, I was just notified the coilover kit has shipped and UPS says it will be here Friday :cool:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Eibach front swaybar is in, still with stock springs. My initial assessment on ride quality is just go straight for the JBR front swaybar on stiff (but don't forget collar locks). Eibach will remain in place until probably April while I'm developing the initial suspension. Picking up the mounted race tires tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Very lightweight rims with friggin' heavy tires! OMG, I knew the 18" 265s were heavier than 17" 255s by 2 lbs, but these feel even heavier than that. Makes me wonder if I can find some 17x9 RPF1s in Ford bolt pattern and put 255s on them... I'll have to do some back-to-back testing to see how much effect the tire weight has.

It's happening, a bit behind my original schedule, but it's happening.

21 - 40 of 150 Posts