Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting on the highway offramp, headed home. Dude steals a car & gets into a chase with the CPD..

Plowed through traffic sitting at the light waiting to turn.

Thankfully zero injuries as this idiot was FLYING. Escape & Saturn got it pretty bad. There was an Edge also with damage similar to mine.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Shouldn't be much damage, just replace the rear bumper and bumper cover. Not much is back there at all. But sadly it isn't cheap to replace anything back there.

Reactions: Moose_

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know what I have is super minor but what's behind the rear bumper cover on the passenger side?

When I peel it back I see a vent and some crunched metal
Behind your bumper is your 1/4 extension and your tail panel. Similar to what can be seen on that escape but his air vent is missing.

Hopefully should be an easy fix if it's not crushed too bad.

But either way glad everyone's ok. Hope they catch that piece of ****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Probably a stupid question but who is liable for all this?

Obviously the criminal. If he had insurance than they are going to cough up the bill. What if no insurance who coughs up? You can sue the criminal but he has no money. His family? Them neither.

Who pays to fix this ****ing mess. Please do not say OP.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Probably a stupid question but who is liable for all this?

Obviously the criminal. If he had insurance than they are going to cough up the bill. What if no insurance who coughs up? You can sue the criminal but he has no money. His family? Them neither.

Who pays to fix this ****ing mess. Please do not say OP.
Insurance company of the vehicle that hit him most likely..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
would an insurance company cover a thief driving your car? I know here (Australia) a lot of insurance companies don't even cover under 25 year olds driving your car (if you're over 25 and opt for the cheaper premium), let alone a thief.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The criminal won't be able to have his insurance company (if he's even insured on his own car) pay for the damages. He stole a car, for which he obviously doesn't have coverage. This is where the portion of your premium that goes towards "uninsured motorist" coverage goes towards. It sucks to be on the hook for the deductible, but your own insurance company can file suit against the criminal for recovering the damages. Not likely to recoup much for oneself, however... :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I honestly dunno who's paying the bill for this. I'm gonna go out on a limb & guess the guy that stole the van is uninsured & broke. I don't even know if he was caught. Maybe when I get the police report it will say.

The person who owned the vans insurance will probably cover their loss, that thing was totaled. I wouldn't think they would be on the hook for any damages after it was stolen.

At this point I'm prepared to suck it up, pay my deductible and go on with life. Iv also read my insurance company may go after the police dept for damages. No idea how true that is though, was just some quick google searches.

The girl who took the info for my insurance company wasn't all that helpful, I'll hopefully know more tomorrow.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welp, dropped the Focus off and I'm out a deductible when I pick it up unless they find a way to recover the damages, then I'll be reimbursed.

As of now it's going under uninsured motorist, police can't be held liable, just doing their job & are protected against damages.

Got a sweet Toyota with 7 miles on it though... Meh

·
Registered
554 Posts
What the hell is that...the new Camry? Where'd the front bumper of it go?!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Man that sucks! Glad your ok! Unfortunately you'll probably be the one to get dinged by the insurance company, you can never out guess what these insurance companies are going to do. I hope it works out in your favor.

I had a guy blow by me about six months ago being chased by the cops during rush hour, he went right between me and the cars going in the opposite direction, between the double yellow's with the cops hot on his tail. He didn't crash for a few more miles though and I think he hit a light pole.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.