Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the leather on top of my steering wheel has been peeling/flaking off. It's a 2016 car with only 12k miles on it, and this has been happening for many months, and it's getting worse and worse.

untitled.png

I've tried searching but couldn't find any threads about this. Has anybody else experienced it? I have no idea what it's caused by, and I've never had anything like it in any other car. It's only happening at the top of the wheel, nowhere else. Any ideas?

Anything I can do to prevent it from getting worse, or even better, to make it like new again? And do you think that this is something that would be covered by the warranty?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I do, and yes I do :)

But quite a lot of people wear wedding rings, right? Nobody else I know has this issue in their car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Definitely looks like a ring issue, still no excuse for the leather peeling. The dealer has covered a few things under warranty I didn't expect so I would try it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
In 12k miles, have you ever cleaned and/or put anything on the wheel? Your steering wheel is arguably the dirtiest, (one of the) most neglected part of your car. It's subjected to body oils, dirt, grime, and whatever else is on your hand every day. And like others, it's took me all of two seconds to decipher two things; you wear a ring and you rest your hand in the same spot, every day, all day. Ever notice how leather steering wheels turn shiny after a while? This is from grit and grime (abrasives) actually polishing the leather. My car has 9k and the steering wheel looks like its never been touched. I'm very cognizant about hand placement and not concentrating on one spot all the time just to avoid this occurrence. I know not everyone is going to live life to that level, but I am :) IMO, the leather on the steering wheel is actually pretty descent quality, but still needs good care. Adam's makes a great cleaner, but they also make, again IMO, the best leather conditioner I've ever used. You may even be able to salvage that with some good TLC if they won't warranty it. I'm guessing they'll come to the same conclusion we came to and not warranty it, but I'd sill try if it doesn't clean up.

·
Administrator
11,884 Posts
So the leather on top of my steering wheel has been peeling/flaking off. It's a 2016 car with only 12k miles on it, and this has been happening for many months, and it's getting worse and worse.

View attachment 240626

I've tried searching but couldn't find any threads about this. Has anybody else experienced it? I have no idea what it's caused by, and I've never had anything like it in any other car. It's only happening at the top of the wheel, nowhere else. Any ideas?

Anything I can do to prevent it from getting worse, or even better, to make it like new again? And do you think that this is something that would be covered by the warranty?
My hands (no rings) cause similar wear. Working hands, working the leather.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
My wheel has started to peel. I will have it replaced as it's covered by the extended warranty.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So, you guys will just keep getting your steering wheel replaced every 12-20k miles? lol. Sounds more like a wear and tear/maintenance issue rather than a material defect. Try removing any abrasive jewelry and using leather care products to help extend the longevity.

I had a Shelby GT500 steering wheel in my mustang which was partially suede and oh boy did that thing look nasty after 60k...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
the steering wheel was replaced on mine under warranty shortly before I bought the car (35k). I wonder if it was due tot eh same kind of thing?

probably relatively cheap or poor leather.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Spring-and-summer-thin-female-high-elastic-etiquette-celebration-dance-drive-command-sunscreen-s.jpg
Problem solved.

...But really. I agree with the others who have suggested taking it in to see if it's covered under warranty. I'd definitely do that if my steering wheel was peeling. Once it's replaced, try to take better care to not rest your hand on the exact same spot all the time and/or clean/condition the wheel regularly as @galaxy7 recommended.

I actually notice that I tend to put my hand in the same-ish spot regularly (around 7 o'clock) and try to move my hand around a bit when I do notice. I haven't cleaned my wheel yet at 2k miles but I might do it now that I've entered this thread. I also own a 2016.

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I mean, I really don't want to be the guy to start something, but ... you could try a different hand position. The material is different elsewhere on the wheel ... I've had no issues between 8-10 and 2-4.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Might be compounded by sunlight, is it parked in the sun often? I'm sure it's poorly crafted from cheap materials but mine has been ok. 1st world problems

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys, this post is long overdue, thanks for all the feedback. I did end up getting the wheel replaced under warranty, no questions asked. Been driving without my wedding ring since then :)o), and it's holding up fine so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts