Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A pedal spacer was always on my wish list, and after checking some DIY (both 3D printed and made from acrylic/polycarbonate/wood) I decided to make a quick spacer from some hard maple I had lying around.
The spacer I made was 3/4" thick and moved the pedal about half an inch lower and closer to the brake pedal - this is similar to a lot of commercial pedal spacers.

I drove with the spacer for a bit, and decided against using it. I had two problems with the spacer:
  1. The pedal was too high, straining my right leg when pressing only lightly. The feeling was very similar to holding the right foot over the brake pedal for more than a few seconds when in cruise control. This might be something that I could have gotten used to, but the next point decided me against the spacer, so I'm not sticking with it to find out.
  2. With moderate braking, it was easy for me to press both the brake and the accelerator pedals at the same time. This was less due to the pedal being closer, but rather because it was higher - the original position (where the accelerator pedal is much lower than the brake pedal) didn't allow both pedals to align even with hard braking. I believe that this stems from my heel and toe style - I press the brake pedal with the left part of my shoe, and roll the right side of the shoe onto the accelerator pedal. Hence, if I just brake, I still put only the left edge of the shoe on the brake pedal. Without the spacer, if I don't roll my foot right, I'm not coming close enough to the accelerator pedal to touch it. With the spacer the accelerator pedal is high enough that even without rolling my foot to the right I hit it when braking.
My second problem is mainly related to my heel and toe style, which also impacts the way I brake without downshifting (for example, coasting to a red light in third, clutch in, neutral). If your heel and toe/braking style is different than mine, you might not experience this problem (or might have a different problem).

Considering that 3D printed spacers run about $40 and aluminum spacers run about $80, I'm happy that I tested this before buying (and getting disappointed).

If anyone is interested to try a spacer themselves, all it takes is a piece of wood 7"x3" 3/4" thick and two 2" long 1/4" bolts and nuts.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Seems like you've left some room to experiment with how thick of a spacer would work for you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
One major thing I miss about my miata is the perfect pedal box. I absolutely cannot heel toe this car. I want a spacer but I only want the throttle moved toward me, definitely wouldn't move it closer to the brake.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems like you've left some room to experiment with how thick of a spacer would work for you.
I thought about that, but frankly I not that bothered with my heel and toe with the stock pedal position, nor was I blown away by any big difference with the spacer to invest that time (plus with wood I don't have that much wiggle room with thickness (the stock nuts and the bolts are countersunk in the wood)). There are some 3D printed ones that are 3/8" thick which sometimes sell around $15 on eBay. Maybe I'll give one a try when I'm done with the more pressing mods.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One major thing I miss about my miata is the perfect pedal box. I absolutely cannot heel toe this car. I want a spacer but I only want the throttle moved toward me, definitely wouldn't move it closer to the brake.
Interesting - how do you heel and toe? It looks like a lot of people heel and toe like I do (i.e. roll the foot onto the accelerator pedal). Do you actually do a heel and toe (i.e. press the brake with the toes/ball of the foot and the accelerator with the heel)?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I didn't like the pedal placement at first, but got used to it relatively quickly. I also do the halves of the foot method. I originally tried it the nominal way, but found it awkward, inaccurate, and disagreeable to my knees. Using the halves of my foot took me about a single drive to adopt "heel and toe" into casual driving. I still miss the pedal placement of my Mk1 Legacy with aftermarket pedal pads to get them closer laterally (they weren't bad to begin with, but the pads nailed it and their relationship to each other in terms of depth was perfect from the start), but I'm fine with the ST.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I do sort of a mix of both. I kinda "roll" my heel onto the throttle and it works just fine for me. I have a ~ 1.5" spacer by the way (Idk how thick exactly, I bought it second hand and it looks like a Mishimoto-clone, which is 40 mm).
If I had a cam in the footwell, it would probably look like I'm trying to break my ankle.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Interesting - how do you heel and toe? It looks like a lot of people heel and toe like I do (i.e. roll the foot onto the accelerator pedal). Do you actually do a heel and toe (i.e. press the brake with the toes/ball of the foot and the accelerator with the heel)?
I definitely lift my heel and rotate some. If I'm threshold braking or even letting the ABS do the braking modulation I can heel toe the focus but for normal public road driving just rev matching on downshift it's not comfortable or accurate.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I definitely lift my heel and rotate some. If I'm threshold braking or even letting the ABS do the braking modulation I can heel toe the focus but for normal public road driving just rev matching on downshift it's not comfortable or accurate.
Awesome! It looks like for you a pedal spacer would work well - you'd get the same alignment between the brake and accelerator pedals for normal driving that you have when you do a hard brake. It will cause the accelerator pedal to be much higher than the brake pedal when braking hard, but I suppose that a "true" heel and toe should work fine in that case as well, right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts