Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So I am looking into getting a pedal spacer after all of the positive reviews I have seen on how it affects the pedal feel and daily driving of the ST. I won't be tracking my car, but something has always felt "off" about how the pedals are set up. I am not sure which one to go with and was hoping some of you could chime in with your experience and help point me in the right direction? Is there much a difference between all of these?

Secondly is it ill advised to remove the clutch assist spring? It really does seem to pop out and reduce smoother driving in the lower gears especially. Would this have any negative affects on the car?

CJ Pony Parts http://www.cjponyparts.com/accelera...vnS1tjf4Xc1MD9cxmnQ3mK9WdYr4QK3RoCdy8QAvD_BwE

Garage Line are there different versions of this one? Garage Line 2013+ Ford Focus ST Accelerator Pedal Mount - Welcome to GarageLine - Sport Compact Performance Parts

Mishimoto https://www.walmart.com/ip/MISHIMOT...2587&wl11=online&wl12=192423853&wl13=&veh=sem

Mod Bargains
Active Shift Designs Accelerator Pedal Lift Spacer for 2013+ Ford Focus ST at ModBargains.com

"No-Pistons (Amazon)" https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Focus-Pedal-Lift-Spacer/dp/B01A8YVWTA

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
If you remove the clutch spring, replace it with something or it will eventually cause damage is the word on the street. Steeda just put out their replacement people seem to be happy with. I had an Active Shift design pedal spacer. I found that it put my foot at an angle that hurt after 20 minutes or so of driving and took it off. Lots of others have obviously been happy with it though. Also bought it for cheaper than that link I feel like.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Several have reported issues with the spring removed. If I remember correctly most had flat foot shifting enabled on their tune. The pedal not returning to the proper position was causing the car to think the clutch was engaged. Do the Steeda spring from this instead... http://www.focusst.org/forum/steeda...stened-new-focus-st-rs-clutch-spring-kit.html

For the pedal spacers, I have not seen a bad review on any of them. The only difference is that some are larger/smaller and/or have more adjustability. For daily driving, I would just lift it to be about even with the brake pedal, but not shift it left/right in the car (which is pretty much the "standard" configuration on the various spacers that are available). I have one (Breedt) and like it.

Reactions: HBGeek

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Several have reported issues with the spring removed. If I remember correctly most had flat foot shifting enabled on their tune. The pedal not returning to the proper position was causing the car to think the clutch was engaged. Do the Steeda spring from this instead... http://www.focusst.org/forum/steeda...stened-new-focus-st-rs-clutch-spring-kit.html

For the pedal spacers, I have not seen a bad review on any of them. The only difference is that some are larger/smaller and/or have more adjustability. For daily driving, I would just lift it to be about even with the break pedal, but not shift it left/right in the car (which is pretty much the "standard" configuration on the various spacers that are available). I have one (Breedt) and like it.
Awesome. I will go with the steeda clutch spring. I only wanted to bring the gas pedal to about even on the plane with the brake/clutch. I am deciding between the pedal space from either CJ Pony Parts or Modbargains. The one from amazon is interesting based on price, but it may also concern me because of the price.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to add to your list, but I just remembered where I bought the Breedt spacer. https://www.focusstshop.com/Breedt-2013-14-Ford-Focus-ST-Black-Accelerator-Ped-p/bpd-ps-blk.htm

Looks similar to the CJ spacer, but has 4 pedal positions. As I said before, the one that is in the CJ spacer is probably the one most people use. It is the one I use from my Breedt. I bought the Breedt to have options if I decided I needed them.
Thanks for the heads up on the Breedt. I am little concerned about breaking my perch though. It seems like a lot of people have broken theirs while trying to attempt this.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I am little concerned about breaking my perch though. It seems like a lot of people have broken theirs while trying to attempt this.
I have no idea how so many have broken them. I am one of the ones who used the 1/4 extension and a vice. A few taps and it came apart without any issues. Patience and treating it like a plastic part (because it is) made it an easy job. I suspect many of the broken ones are following Steeda's instructions to pull it apart. I tried that for a second and stopped. It was flexing quite a bit and not budging. At that point I knew pulling it apart was not the way to go.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no idea how so many have broken them. I am one of the ones who used the 1/4 extension and a vice. A few taps and it came apart without any issues. Patience and treating it like a plastic part (because it is) made it an easy job. I suspect many of the broken ones are following Steeda's instructions to pull it apart. I tried that for a second and stopped. It was flexing quite a bit and not budging. At that point I knew pulling it apart was not the way to go.
I believe you posted this before, but would you say this is a good video to follow or do you have any instructions on the best method to do this?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@TS13FST I know you haven't used the Active Shift Designs pedal spacer from mod bargains, but do you have any thoughts on its design? I am not sure I will need an adjustable one. I just want the gas pedal to be even with the clutch/brake and it is $55 vs $75+.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the Breedt. I am little concerned about breaking my perch though. It seems like a lot of people have broken theirs while trying to attempt this.
I also used a 1/4 extension and rubber mallet... it comes apart with just a light tap.. "a lot of people" seems to be a stretch, it comes down to people not being patient or using the wrong tools for the job, there is nothing scary or worrisome about the install one single bit

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Here is a pic (not my pic) of how I did mine, like @MorningZ said. Just a light tap and it'll pop out easy without breaking. I used a punch but whatever fits in the hold that has a flat end will work.

(Instead of sockets I used my bench vise, not to clamp it but just so it had a place for the arms to sit)

clas.PNG

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
@TS13FST I know you haven't used the Active Shift Designs pedal spacer from mod bargains, but do you have any thoughts on its design? I am not sure I will need an adjustable one. I just want the gas pedal to be even with the clutch/brake and it is $55 vs $75+.

Thoughts?
For the price difference I would probably go with the Active Shift Designs. Seems to be the same size and bolt position that I am using on my spacer. They are resin instead of aluminum, but given the design/purpose of the part I do not think that will impact performance in any way. Reviews seem positive here http://www.focusst.org/forum/modbar...s-accelerator-pedal-spacer-ford-focus-st.html

Reactions: HBGeek

·
Registered
738 Posts
Here is a pic (not my pic) of how I did mine, like @MorningZ said. Just a light tap and it'll pop out easy without breaking. I used a punch but whatever fits in the hold that has a flat end will work.

(Instead of sockets I used my bench vise, not to clamp it but just so it had a place for the arms to sit)

View attachment 260497

Ahhhhhh.....damn it. I did the same thing as in your pic and larger plastic tube attached to the lower perch broke. Real lousy job by Steeda on this with the instructions. Now........gotta go to Ford, order a new clutch spring housing and again risk the plastic braking again when I try to take the stock assembly apart. Nuts............

Reactions: elyk864

·
Registered
738 Posts
Its gotta be that the two tabs at the end of the thinner shaft ( looks like you can put a small screwdriver into and twist ) should be pinched together to enable the pieces to come apart????!!!! Has anybody found this to be the case???

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Its gotta be that the two tabs at the end of the thinner shaft ( looks like you can put a small screwdriver into and twist ) should be pinched together to enable the pieces to come apart????!!!! Has anybody found this to be the case???
that is how it works. I did not have a set of needle nose long and pointy enough to make it work. I was going to try a couple of different pens or pen caps to see if I could find the right diameter but in the end just used a vice and a socket extension to knock it out, took about 20 seconds to do.

·
Registered
738 Posts
that is how it works. I did not have a set of needle nose long and pointy enough to make it work. I was going to try a couple of different pens or pen caps to see if I could find the right diameter but in the end just used a vice and a socket extension to knock it out, took about 20 seconds to do.
Hmmm.........I'm thinking a couple of small finishing nails on each side of those tabs just to pinch that top part of the thinner shaft together and then a thinner extension socket and a larger All. When I gently hit the socket extension with a hammer, the end of the larger tube attached to the bottom perch broke off. Think you had the right idea with getting a neddle nose pliars that are long and thin enough.........should come out with ease I'm thinking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The complaints i have been seeing for the pedal spacers is that 1.5 inches is too much. Under any braking at all, the gas pedal is higher making heel-toe with the upper part of your foot just as difficult. I'm thinking that i'll try out the No-Pistons spacer listed on Amazon, but i just wish it had the lateral adjustment as well since i feel like the gap might still be a bit much. Only a quarter inch of spacer might not do much in the first place though anyway.

·
Registered
117 Posts
anyone know the part number to the clutch return switch that some people could possibly break ... perhaps those that are typing this post right now?

nevermind had to bust out a magnifying glass to read the part number on it: 4m5t7c534aa

1 - 19 of 19 Posts