Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i waited for a few days until i had driven with this product on several different roads and and at different speeds before attempting to write a review. Here goes:

First, let me start by saying that the module is packaged excellenty. It comes in a durable box with a quality feel. Inside is the Pedal Commander itself and a few stickers and of course the instructions.
20170717_113217.jpg

Installation takes about 30 seconds. Just unplug the stock throttle connector and plug it into the Pedal Commander.. and plug the Pedal commander's input end into the connector on the throttle pedal arm. By doing this you basically splice the Pedal Commander into the throttle pedal 'wire'. Do this with the car completely off. Once thats done you can fire her up.
20170717_113040.jpg
Let me say that this transforms the feel of the car completely. There are 4 modes eco city sport and sport+. Each mode has a bunch of levels of adjustability. Its a simple and intuitive setup. All the Pedal Commander does is tell the ECU the pedal is depressed farther and faster than it actually is. Thus, the throttle plate opens faster and farther than it would stock with the same input. This doesnt affect af ratio, timing, ignition or fuel in any way. Completely safe, theoretically.

And it works. On city mode the car is much smoother than stock. There is no more delay or dead space or 'take up'* in the pedal. As soon as you touch the pedal the car is moving. Sport and Sport+ are more sensitive and alot more fun, especially on the highway. I find myself having to stomp on the gas alot less on the highway when overtaking or needing to speed up, all of the car's torque is on tap immediately now. It almost feels like the car has a larger engine now. The rpms climb a tad quicker and boost builds faster now but thats too be expected. It feels like a completely new car. My wife and son immediately noticed the difference. Sport and Sport+ mode will snap your head back. AND IM ON THE STOCK TUNE.

The only cons are worse gas mileage becausee im having more fun on the pedal. Also, in the higher levels of sport+ mode the car can get a tad jumpy in first gear because the pedal is so hair trigger sensitive. This thing makes 1st gear basically useless lol. The first couple of days with this thing i was spinning out from every stop unintentionally. Also the price is another negative. $299 is kinda steep for a throttle controller but honestly the smiles this thing has brought to my face are worth it. And oh yeah, this is untraceable by ford mechanics, just unplug it.

So the gains? Well number 1 this mod is extremely popular among the Mercedes Benz, Ford Raptor, Corvette and Dodge crowds. I havent taken the time to objectively measure performance gains. This device doesnt add any power. It however makes much better use of the power availible. The shifts are much faster as well because the revs and power are right there after you get the car in the next gear. There is no more of that classic 'bog' in between lazy shifts common to manual cars. If you lined up 2 identical cars on the drag strip , the one with the Pedal Commander would no doubt win assuming he/she could grip.

So i would def recommend this to anyone who has the extra cash and wants to have some fun. If you already have a cobb or other tuning solution this device can be stacked on top of it. Yes a tune will help increase throttle response but you cannot throttle map with a cobb the way you can with this device. Its nice for me because im untuned and wanted a peppier ride...this helped tremendously.

·
Administrator
11,846 Posts
So i waited for a few days until i had driven with this product on several different roads and and at different speeds before attempting to write a review. Here goes:

First, let me start by saying that the module is packaged excellenty. It comes in a durable box with a quality feel. Inside is the Pedal Commander itself and a few stickers and of course the instructions.

Installation takes about 30 seconds. Just unplug the stock throttle connector and plug it into the Pedal Commander.. and plug the Pedal commander's input end into the connector on the throttle pedal arm. By doing this you basically splice the Pedal Commander into the throttle pedal 'wire'. Do this with the car completely off. Once thats done you can fire her up.
View attachment 259449
Let me say that this transforms the feel of the car completely. There are 4 modes eco city sport and sport+. Each mode has a bunch of levels of adjustability. Its a simple and intuitive setup. All the Pedal Commander does is tell the ECU the pedal is depressed farther and faster than it actually is. Thus, the throttle plate opens faster and farther than it would stock with the same input. This doesnt affect af ratio, timing, ignition or fuel in any way. Completely safe, theoretically.

And it works. On city mode the car is much smoother than stock. There is no more delay or dead space or 'take up'* in the pedal. As soon as you touch the pedal the car is moving. Sport and Sport+ are more sensitive and alot more fun, especially on the highway. I find myself having to stomp on the gas alot less on the highway when overtaking or needing to speed up, all of the car's torque is on tap immediately now. It almost feels like the car has a larger engine now. The rpms climb a tad quicker and boost builds faster now but thats too be expected. It feels like a completely new car. My wife and son immediately noticed the difference. Sport and Sport+ mode will snap your head back. AND IM ON THE STOCK TUNE.

The only cons are worse gas mileage becausee im having more fun on the pedal. Also, in the higher levels of sport+ mode the car can get a tad jumpy in first gear because the pedal is so hair trigger sensitive. This thing makes 1st gear basically useless lol. The first couple of days with this thing i was spinning out from every stop unintentionally. Also the price is another negative. $299 is kinda steep for a throttle controller but honestly the smiles this thing has brought to my face are worth it. And oh yeah, this is untraceable by ford mechanics, just unplug it.

So the gains? Well number 1 this mod is extremely popular among the Mercedes Benz, Ford Raptor, Corvette and Dodge crowds. I havent taken the time to objectively measure performance gains. This device doesnt add any power. It however makes much better use of the power availible. The shifts are much faster as well because the revs and power are right there after you get the car in the next gear. There is no more of that classic 'bog' in between lazy shifts common to manual cars. If you lined up 2 identical cars on the drag strip , the one with the Pedal Commander would no doubt win assuming he/she could grip.

So i would def recommend this to anyone who has the extra cash and wants to have some fun. If you already have a cobb or other tuning solution this device can be stacked on top of it. Yes a tune will help increase throttle response but you cannot throttle map with a cobb the way you can with this device. Its nice for me because im untuned and wanted a peppier ride...this helped tremendously.

For 300 bucks, lol

I will pass on this for sure.

No matter what input, the ECU is going to act the same way at the same throttle percentages. For an extra 50 bucks you can get a used AP3, which is a world of performance and monitoring.

When the ST starts getting modded, you will want that full window of throttle manipulation, not a ratio of mechanical input to throttle output. Granted you can switch modes, but I can control my foot just fine.

We have rev hang between gears anyway, which most people get rid of. The ST is not known to lug between gear changes. With our super tiny turbo, it spools, and stays there quite easily.

Thanks for the nicely written review, Its 300 bucks to "tighten a throttle cable"

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to add,

This is a very viable option for people afraid to tune, or warranty conscious.

For anyone else though, I find it very hard to justify.
Yeah man ive been on the fence about tuning because of warranty problems. I will eventually get tuned but thats probably as far as 6 months to a year from now. So in the meantime this is as close as im gonna get. Its wicked fun but i agree the price is too steep. Im stil glad i bought it tho, i love how much fun the car is now. And yes this takes car of that rev hang. At this point in time im more worried about buying sticky tires and a traction bar than i am about the Cobb AP lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah man ive been on the fence about tuning because of warranty problems. I will eventually get tuned but thats probably as far as 6 months to a year from now. So in the meantime this is as close as im gonna get. Its wicked fun but i agree the price is too steep. Im stil glad i bought it tho, i love how much fun the car is now. And yes this takes car of that rev hang. At this point in time im more worried about buying sticky tires and a traction bar than i am about the Cobb AP lol
There's no way this device removes the rev hang that is the shift assist function our cars have. Perhaps it takes care of the right foot rev hang.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's no way this device removes the rev hang that is the shift assist function our cars have. Perhaps it takes care of the right foot rev hang.
Youre right it doesnt remove the rev hang but the responsiveness is increased so much that it feels as thoit does eliminate it

·
Administrator
11,846 Posts
Youre right it doesnt remove the rev hang but the responsiveness is increased so much that it feels as thoit does eliminate it

Have you been in a tuned ST yet? The throttle response and power delivery is drastically different. Even with just an ots map in a stock car.

Reactions: fordboi415

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you been in a tuned ST yet? The throttle response and power delivery is drastically different. Even with just an ots map in a stock car.
Naw man i haven't. Got my car about 8 months ago and done mostly cosmetic and handling mods...im tryin to enjoy the warranty lol its a 2015

1 - 8 of 8 Posts