Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this just happened yesterday morning and I'm having my ford tech buddy see if I'm still covered under the 12mo2 TSB but here's my problem.

Turned on my car (2013 ST2 w/ nav) yesterday to go to breakfast and noticed a weird buzzing coming from the passneger side speakers. I figured it was some interferrence from the solar panels at the diner we were at but it was only on the passenger side. When we left the problem was still happening and I thought it was only the tweeter, so when I got home I disconnected the tweeter and realized that the main driver in the door was also buzzing. I balanced the audio all to the passenger side and there was no music just a very loud buzzing coming from all of the speakers on the passenger side. Drivers side works perfect, so I have the audio balanced to the driver side for now.

Has anyone seen this happen before? Should I be looking at APIM, wiring, or AMP problems? I have already pulled fuse 67 to reset MFT but that didn't fix it. I'm hoping it's APIM problems and that the 12mo2 will cover it, though if it is that I will be the second time the APIM has failed on my car which is quite annoying.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
You may have a bad ground somewhere.

Reactions: Cowlynz and brian60

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Sounds like short in the wires, but I'm more interested why you though it was some interference from the solar panels?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like short in the wires, but I'm more interested why you though it was some interference from the solar panels?
Thought it was those because I could hear them buzzing at just about the same fequency, and I haven't had coffee yet (see going out to breakfast hah!)

A short is going to be fun to try and find in this unpredictable NJ weather...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Are these stock speakers or aftermarket? What year is your ST?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are these stock speakers or aftermarket? What year is your ST?

2013 ST2 with factory speakers and Sony MFT. Never touched the speakers or AMP, I'm not much of an audiophile.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Is your ST out of warranty? It is possible that the speaker failed and removing the door panel would let you know as the speaker could be toast. It happens for a hundred different reasons. I doubt that it is a short affecting one speaker. Either way I am willing to be that door panel is going to need to be removed and the speaker will need to be tested. I just removed replaced my stock ST1 speakers this weekend and taking the door panels off was pretty easy. Your other option is to have the dealer look at it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is your ST out of warranty? It is possible that the speaker failed and removing the door panel would let you know as the speaker could be toast. It happens for a hundred different reasons. I doubt that it is a short affecting one speaker. Either way I am willing to be that door panel is going to need to be removed and the speaker will need to be tested. I just removed replaced my stock ST1 speakers this weekend and taking the door panels off was pretty easy. Your other option is to have the dealer look at it.
It is out of warranty, and if it was just 1 speaker buzzing I would assume it was just a toasted speaker but it's the entire passenger side, PF tweeter and driver and PR tweeter and driver. I even swapped the driver tweeter with the passenger tweeter and it still buzzed.

I'm waiting to hear back from my friend at my local dealer just figured I'd ask the question here as well in case someone has had basically the same problem and I can get this resolved faster.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's a connection at each of the door hinge. Could be a loose or faulty connection.
Do you have any diagnostic tools, volt/ohm meter?
I have one someplace in my house, just need to find it. When I test what should it be reading at?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I got into the diagnostic menu this morning (hold CD Eject and Seek right) and did the Speaker walk test and that completed with no buzzing/popping. From searching around on other Focus/Fiesta and Escape forums I'm starting to think that it could be an issue with the harness behind the ACM or the ACM its self. So once it's not raining anymore and I have a chance I'll take my radio apart and see what I can do. A replacement ACM is about 100 on Ebay, so that may be the route I'll be taking if I don't see anything wrong with the harness. And if it is the ACM that is the issue that is not covered by the 12mo2 tsb.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last update, replaced the ACM and they all worked again. Going to take the broken one apart and see if I can figure out what went wrong inside.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts