Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 200 miles, I have been noticing a rattle coming from my passenger side of my engine bay. It has been getting worse too. It occurs at part throttle and above 2750 rpm. Does not occur in full throttle (according to my hearing but other sounds may be covering it up). It is a ticking sounds that varies with RPM (higher RPM means faster ticking). It is not the HPFP but is a similar sound. To me, it sounds like valvetrain (stuck lifter?) or possibly a belt or belt tensioner that isn't happy. I will try to get some sound recordings tonight to post once I can find someone to operate the throttle pedal. I should mention that I just put in a Steeda passenger side motor mount 500 miles ago, but I have checked that everything is still tight from that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just tried switching back to a oem passenger side motor mount but the sound persists. It definitely sounds like it is coming from the engine.

Any recommendations? I'm starting to think I need to take it to a shop.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
For the last 200 miles, I have been noticing a rattle coming from my passenger side of my engine bay. It has been getting worse too. It occurs at part throttle and above 2750 rpm. Does not occur in full throttle (according to my hearing but other sounds may be covering it up). It is a ticking sounds that varies with RPM (higher RPM means faster ticking). It is not the HPFP but is a similar sound. To me, it sounds like valvetrain (stuck lifter?) or possibly a belt or belt tensioner that isn't happy. I will try to get some sound recordings tonight to post once I can find someone to operate the throttle pedal. I should mention that I just put in a Steeda passenger side motor mount 500 miles ago, but I have checked that everything is still tight from that.
That sounds like a spun bearing bud

·
Registered
25 Posts
my car was making almost the exact same sound, under the same conditions
it had to have a short block put in, i actually get it back today

take it in get a new motor under warranty haha

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my car was making almost the exact same sound, under the same conditions
it had to have a short block put in, i actually get it back today

take it in get a new motor under warranty haha
I'm 14k out of warranty... So unfortunately I'm not sure that's how it'll go for me.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
trade it as fast and as soon as you can..lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sounds like a spun bearing bud
I'm praying to the lords of speed that that isn't the case. I've done everything I can to please them with offerings of Mobil 1 syn every 3k, motul dctf every 15k, and ngk itv22 every two oil changes. That said I tore my engine bay apart today trying to find it and everything I do points more and more to internal engine noise. I don't have a loss in performance though.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The engine is confirmed as being "done" due to a spun bearing. Anyone have a spare engine for sale?
You said you were 14K miles out of warranty so you have 74K miles?

I ask because I've seen some folks think the whole warranty ends at 36K miles, but the drivetrain warranty is actually 5yr/60K miles.

Good luck with your rebuild and your move; keep us posted!

All the best,
Mark

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You said you were 14K miles out of warranty so you have 74K miles?

I ask because I've seen some folks think the whole warranty ends at 36K miles, but the drivetrain warranty is actually 5yr/60K miles.

Good luck with your rebuild and your move; keep us posted!

All the best,
Mark
I was mistaken previously. I thought the powertrain went to 50k, but it goes to 60k. However, I'm at 64k which isn't hugely helpful. I'm going into the dealer this afternoon to get a quote. It's looking like she is just going to get a stock long block swapped in.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
I was mistaken previously. I thought the powertrain went to 50k, but it goes to 60k. However, I'm at 64k which isn't hugely helpful. I'm going into the dealer this afternoon to get a quote. It's looking like she is just going to get a stock long block swapped in.
im VERY curious the price that will run... I think it could be more than what a deadhook rebuild would cost.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts