Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I will preface this by saying I know it will be a costly pain in the a$$. However, I have two loves in my life, My Wife and my 2016 Focus ST3, and I want them to get along. Wife loves the drivers seat, and hates the passenger seat. I agree. The passenger seat totally lacks lumbar support, and is godawful for anything more than a quick 30min trip.

So, I need to improve this, and want to do it right for the long term.

My initial thought was to buy a second drivers seat to install on the passenger side, but of course, it has a side impact airbag integrated into the seat. I would at least need to disable and/or remove this, and would then be running without one on the passenger side. As I said, I love my wife, so putting her in a seat without an airbag would be less than optimal.

So, now I am looking for RHD drivers seats to install in my LHD passenger space. Has anyone here ever done this? Is anyone aware of any fitment / electrical / safety / other issues I might encounter when doing so? Does anyone have a RHD ST3 Recaro seat for sale?

Thanks,

Ethan

·
Registered
530 Posts
My fiancee hasn't complained about the seats and I'm rather surprised they aren't identical structurally. Anything is possible, I'm sure it can be done. You're right, it's going to be incredibly expensive because you will have to ship the seats from overseas and then to Denver so you're not exactly close to a port. In addition to being expensive, also difficult to find only 1 I would think. If you can find someone parting out a totaled ST overseas, you'd probably have better luck. I imagine the earliest you'd get the seat is at least 4-6 months from now unless you get really lucky.

Any reason you can't just get a lumbar pillow or otherwise support? This is only a thought and I have literally no idea if this is actually a thing or not, but if you are concerned about appearance, maybe take it to an auto upholsterer and buy a thin adjustable lumbar support and see if they can just slide it in behind the leather. You would probably have a remote for the controls lying loose on the side of the seat, but if that's actually a thing, it might save you a lot of money and would definitely save you time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The two seats are not the same structurally, with the biggest difference being the lack of lumbar support and adjustment, in the passenger seat. The other main difference, which neither I nor my wife care about, is the seat bottom does not tilt.

I realize the cost and logistical nightmare to get one from overseas. I have worked for several companies that ship equipment worldwide. It wont take months to get here, but will be expensive. My logistics wizard here at work says somewhere in the $500 - $750 range for shipping to get it here in 2-3 weeks via UPS, but there may be cheaper options with other carriers in the origin country.

I REALLY don't want a loose lumbar pillow floating around the car, but hadn't thought about getting lumbar support added to the passenger seat behind the upholstery. Like you said, it may not be a thing, but I will look into it. Ultimately, I don't want loose items and I want to keep it looking as stock as possible.

·
Super Moderator
9,535 Posts
Hello,

I will preface this by saying I know it will be a costly pain in the a$$. However, I have two loves in my life, My Wife and my 2016 Focus ST3, and I want them to get along. Wife loves the drivers seat, and hates the passenger seat. I agree. The passenger seat totally lacks lumbar support, and is godawful for anything more than a quick 30min trip.

So, I need to improve this, and want to do it right for the long term.

My initial thought was to buy a second drivers seat to install on the passenger side, but of course, it has a side impact airbag integrated into the seat. I would at least need to disable and/or remove this, and would then be running without one on the passenger side. As I said, I love my wife, so putting her in a seat without an airbag would be less than optimal.

So, now I am looking for RHD drivers seats to install in my LHD passenger space. Has anyone here ever done this? Is anyone aware of any fitment / electrical / safety / other issues I might encounter when doing so? Does anyone have a RHD ST3 Recaro seat for sale?

Thanks,

Ethan
If I recall correctly, our "Recaro" seats are actually made by Johnson Controls; maybe you could contact them about the seat you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Johnson controls? Like the mechanical company Johnson controls? And the company that makes Refrigeration controls?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Johnson controls? Like the mechanical company Johnson controls? And the company that makes Refrigeration controls?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Johnson Controls is a multinational conglomerate that did $40+ billion in sales last year. they kinda have their hands in everything...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Johnson Controls is a multinational conglomerate that did $40+ billion in sales last year. they kinda have their hands in everything...
From a quick google search, I found that Recaro sold it's automotive seat division to Johnson Controls in 2011. Recaro still owns the name but JCI has full licensing rights to it. JCI makes tons of other automotive seating but the Recaro brand is kind of separate and made in separate production facilities outside Detroit and in Mexico. Then in 2016 JCI spun-off it's automotive seat business to a new company it called "Adient". So I guess now you could say Recaros are made by Adient which is owned by JCI.
Interesting.

Reactions: jesse_sanders
1 - 7 of 7 Posts