Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. If you don't count the new member location post, then this is my first post. I apologize if this ends up being the wrong place for it.

I just picked up a used 2013 ST3 (OW) as an upgrade to my autocrossing hobby. Prior I was racing HS in my '06 Civic LX. Competition is scarce in that class in my region, so I knew I wanted to move to GS. Now I'm just unsure if I succeeded. The PO made some "upgrades" to the car that I'd love to undo, lest I wind up in STX or SM. I'm still learning the vehicle, so I don't know what all he/she left stock.

As I figure that out, I'd love to know if anyone is about to upgrade their stock items and rather than trashing the OEM part, maybe you could offer it to me. I know for sure I need a new airbox lid.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congrats on the ST an welcome to the forum! I'd be interested depends on what the parts are. If you can put up some pics of the engine bay and of under the car I can help u with what's stock an what's not.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can definitely do that... eventually. I'll try to get in and under this weekend. Thanks!

Hey look, an appropriate use for this smilie:
:nopics:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
20170430_183102.jpg
So I finally got under the car to look around. It would seem I've got an aftermarket bypass valve: a "Turbosmart Kompact Dual-port Shortie" by the looks of it. I'm sure it's doing a lot for me. ::rolling eyes:: Who wants it and can give me the stock valve first. This car is a daily driver. Or, failing that, can anyone find where I can buy the original part?

The air filter is taken care of. I bought the K&N filter that comes with a cover. Done.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or another consideration: can someone explain what's up with these dual ports? Do I need to twist it to make it act more like the OEM valve?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Check the RMM, and the Shift lever (in cabin and top of trans) for modifications. those are the most common.

·
Registered
395 Posts
that BOV just vents half of the boost pressure to atmosphere and half it recirculates. Adjusting it will not change how much it recirculates.

many people will jump on the BOV if you put it up for sale or trade for a factory BPV

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where are you located?
Oberlin, just west of Cleveland, OH.

Check the RMM, and the Shift lever (in cabin and top of trans) for modifications. those are the most common.
I lifted up the boot and the shift linkage and mechanicals all look stock. The shift knob sits much higher than the parking brake handle. RMM will have to wait until I get enough time away from the wife and baby to look again.

that BOV just vents half of the boost pressure to atmosphere and half it recirculates. Adjusting it will not change how much it recirculates. Many people will jump on the BOV if you put it up for sale or trade for a factory BPV
That's good to know. That should offset having to get the K&N cover and an OEM BPV! Hopefully it'll shine up nicely. Is there a trade/sale area in here? I looked but haven't seen one.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That's good to know. That should offset having to get the K&N cover and an OEM BPV! Hopefully it'll shine up nicely. Is there a trade/sale area in here? I looked but haven't seen one.
There is a for sale section at the bottom of the forum. I believe you need 50 posts before you can post anything. Make sure to follow the rules and take a picture of the item for sale with your screen name and date on a piece of paper that is also in the picture.

Reactions: Bald Wonder

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
50 posts?! Well then, I've got some talking to do! (Yes, I'm starting already.)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am just here to say hello and bump up your posts! You are not far from me, maybe we will see each other at some autocross events! I ran the SXT class with bolt ons, run your focus how it is for a couple events. Things that will help you and still stay in that class is rear sway and some lowering springs!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, lowering springs would put the car in STX and I'm trying to get it back to GS. I'll technically be in DSP thanks to the BOV/BPV, which does nothing but add sound to a factory tune and make everyone think you're cheating if you try to run GS. Not a good example to set when you're the Solo Chair for your region! I won't worry about points this year and just get used to the vehicle. I was in a '06 Civic LX before this. I'm faster now, but the runs are sloppy thanks to all the power and speed.

I've got some Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 picked out that I'll order before the June event in Northeast Ohio. I'll run with those for an event or two, then decide if I need to upgrade the rear sway. I already had to order a set of Moog endlinks because I snapped one of the OEM links at the first event. I thought it was my brake heat shield rubbing at first.

Any chance you ever make it to the events in Toledo? I'm going to try to hit a few of those this year.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Actually, lowering springs would put the car in STX and I'm trying to get it back to GS. I'll technically be in DSP thanks to the BOV/BPV, which does nothing but add sound to a factory tune and make everyone think you're cheating if you try to run GS. Not a good example to set when you're the Solo Chair for your region! I won't worry about points this year and just get used to the vehicle. I was in a '06 Civic LX before this. I'm faster now, but the runs are sloppy thanks to all the power and speed.

I've got some Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 picked out that I'll order before the June event in Northeast Ohio. I'll run with those for an event or two, then decide if I need to upgrade the rear sway. I already had to order a set of Moog endlinks because I snapped one of the OEM links at the first event. I thought it was my brake heat shield rubbing at first.

Any chance you ever make it to the events in Toledo? I'm going to try to hit a few of those this year.
I may try to go out to some! I need to get 2 more tires and get my car tune finished up. I will be in some kind of higher class now since I decided to go bigger turbo, just going to have fun this season and learn more about the car as you are too!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Probably SMF judging by your signature.
I think my tires alone would place me their. I was hoping a R888 would be classified as a "street" tire so I could stay in SXT but found out I would not lol I am just looking forward going out having fun with the car!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, yeah. Ok. As far as "Street/Stock" goes in SCCA rules, what rubber you run on doesn't really matter so long as it fits on the stock wheel in the stock fender without modifications. The only other consideration is treadwear. Anything under the "Street" umbrella (S, ST, SP, SM) needs a 200 rating or more.

Your R888 is a 100. That puts you in Prepared at least. Not Street Prepared, mind you - Prepared. I don't know much about Prepared or Modified classes, as the lot we race on is too small for the guys who trailer their cars because they're not street legal, so I don't get to see much of that. Toledo uses an airport, so they get all kinds of crazy builds.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Oh, yeah. Ok. As far as "Street/Stock" goes in SCCA rules, what rubber you run on doesn't really matter so long as it fits on the stock wheel in the stock fender without modifications. The only other consideration is treadwear. Anything under the "Street" umbrella (S, ST, SP, SM) needs a 200 rating or more.

Your R888 is a 100. That puts you in Prepared at least. Not Street Prepared, mind you - Prepared. I don't know much about Prepared or Modified classes, as the lot we race on is too small for the guys who trailer their cars because they're not street legal, so I don't get to see much of that. Toledo uses an airport, so they get all kinds of crazy builds.
Man so complicated! haha I just want to go out and turn fast and beat the hell out of my car :haha:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts