Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New owner of a 2015 Focus ST here. I've lurked on the forums here for several weeks, but this is my first time posting. My car is completely stock now, and I am considering ordering a Stage 1 tune (of the Stratified or Mountune variety). I have a question that I haven't seen addressed beyond a passing sentence or two in previous posts. For those of you that have done Stage 1, how is the part-throttle (non-WOT) response/performance compared to stock?

What I've found is that my Focus definitely feels fast if I go WOT, but not so much at part-throttle. It doesn't feel like there is much difference between 15-25% throttle (no-boost) driving versus 50-75% throttle (~10 psi) driving. It almost feels like something is holding the car back - I see the boost gauge climb up around 10 psi or so if I push the pedal down far enough (~2/3 to the floor), but the car doesn't surge forward with much additional acceleration as boost climbs... unless of course I push it all the way to the floor. To clarify, I was expecting more of a linear increase in power as boost rises, but this doesn't seem to be the case at all in part-throttle applications.

I am curious if this is some type of stock tune limitation (timing, AFR, etc.) that some of you found was remedied with a stage 1 tune, or if this behavior is just a general characteristic of the ST. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks so much for your time!

·
Administrator
12,710 Posts
Hello all,

New owner of a 2015 Focus ST here. I've lurked on the forums here for several weeks, but this is my first time posting. My car is completely stock now, and I am considering ordering a Stage 1 tune (of the Stratified or Mountune variety). I have a question that I haven't seen addressed beyond a passing sentence or two in previous posts. For those of you that have done Stage 1, how is the part-throttle (non-WOT) response/performance compared to stock?

What I've found is that my Focus definitely feels fast if I go WOT, but not so much at part-throttle. It doesn't feel like there is much difference between 15-25% throttle (no-boost) driving versus 50-75% throttle (~10 psi) driving. It almost feels like something is holding the car back - I see the boost gauge climb up around 10 psi or so if I push the pedal down far enough (~2/3 to the floor), but the car doesn't surge forward with much additional acceleration as boost climbs... unless of course I push it all the way to the floor. To clarify, I was expecting more of a linear increase in power as boost rises, but this doesn't seem to be the case at all in part-throttle applications.

I am curious if this is some type of stock tune limitation (timing, AFR, etc.) that some of you found was remedied with a stage 1 tune, or if this behavior is just a general characteristic of the ST. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks so much for your time!
A stage one tune wakes up the car quite a bit, especially in the early mid-upper rpm range.

Keep in mind that there other tuners out there with excellent results and track records. I suggest rolling with a true Cobb AP3, and buy it from said tuner.

Tuning is the greatest increase in performance/drive-ability I have experienced across my current mods.

·
Registered
289 Posts
A tune (I can only speak for Stratified) will 100% completely change the car for the better.
The v6 tune I had was the most "mental" but it wasn't the fastest... V 7.1 is the fastest measured .

To explain further... Currently it is more linear (which sounds like what you want) whereas the last major version was 10, 20, 100% throttle... Which made it completely fun but impractical. And I blame it for the first 50% of tread wear on my tires :)

Black Friday is coming up... Do yourself a favor, get a FMIC and tune... That's all you really need.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts