Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to share how easy it is to change the look of your car for cheap. I bought a used set of winter wheels that I didn't love, however I love winter wheels because nobody cares how they turn out/how ugly they are. I've painted other sets of wheels with just spray paint and a day to kill. They have held up beautifully for 4-5 years and going. I'm no expert and you can look up how to spray paint, how long to wait, what to use, etc. Just showing results with a super quick how to.

1) degrease and sand wheels with a fine sand paper

2) mask off tires and tire valve stem

3) apply 2-3 coats of primer
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Spoke Tire

4) apply your paint in 4-5 light coats waiting at least 20 minutes in between coats. I like to wait a bare minimum of 4-5 hours between base coat and clear coat.
Alloy wheel Auto part Rim Wheel Automotive wheel system

5) result:
Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Tire Automotive wheel system

Best part is they're winter wheels and you can just sand and repaint.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I must have had a brain fart because i've used Index cards around the lip of the rim instead of the PITA masking tape and it works really well.

Example below. Huge time saver.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nice job!

Looking to do this on my newly acquired winter wheels, any suggestions on rattle can brand paint? I know a lot of people use rustoleum when it comes to rattle can paint.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice job!

Looking to do this on my newly acquired winter wheels, any suggestions on rattle can brand paint? I know a lot of people use rustoleum when it comes to rattle can paint.
Better do it quickly! It's getting cold. I just use the Rustoleum 2x paint. Good coverage, seems to come out very nicely every time, doesn't spit or run. If you're doing wheels I highly suggest getting one of the $3 spray paint gun trigger deals. It will help keep the nozzle straight and save your hand from getting tired.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice job!

I've had a lot of luck with the Duplicolor wheel paint. I painted the stock Premium wheels on the ST with their bronze and love the look. The wheels on my Escape were painted gunmetal about 5 years ago and still look good.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Better do it quickly! It's getting cold. I just use the Rustoleum 2x paint. Good coverage, seems to come out very nicely every time, doesn't spit or run. If you're doing wheels I highly suggest getting one of the $3 spray paint gun trigger deals. It will help keep the nozzle straight and save your hand from getting tired.
Will be doing soon, stoked to find a cool/crazy color. Haha

I've had a lot of luck with the Duplicolor wheel paint. I painted the stock Premium wheels on the ST with their bronze and love the look. The wheels on my Escape were painted gunmetal about 5 years ago and still look good.

Haha, dope dude! Will check out both these brands then. Whatever has a better color, i'll go with!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts