Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd really like to change the color of my reverse lockout but not sure where to start. Is there anyone that has painted, wrapped or powder coated theirs and would care to share their process? Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
11,866 Posts
I'd really like to change the color of my reverse lockout but not sure where to start. Is there anyone that has painted, wrapped or powder coated theirs and would care to share their process? Thanks in advance!
20150908_160923_zpsfws16935.jpg 20150908_160825_zpsf5rzz4dd.jpg 20150826_153402_zps1kv8iztm.jpg 20150826_153341_zpscjjupgap.jpg

I have. You just separate it from the shift boot completely, a bit of surface prep, then you paint it. Removing it and installing it to the shift boot is a PITA, look into the how-to's for redline shift boot installs.

Mine is currently gloss black on my red knob.

I run an Anarchy Motive knob, Boomba STS, redline boot. Custom cut and painted reverse lockout, among other mods.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View attachment 289089 View attachment 289097 View attachment 289105 View attachment 289113

I have. You just separate it from the shift boot completely, a bit of surface prep, then you paint it. Removing it and installing it to the shift boot is a PITA, look into the how-to's for redline shift boot installs.

Mine is currently gloss black on my red knob.

I run an Anarchy Motive knob, Boomba STS, redline boot. Custom cut and painted reverse lockout, among other mods.
I have an Anarchy Motive knob on the way, as well as another Redline Shifter Boot on the way. How'd you prep, and what paint did you use? (i'm not good with painting knowledge)

·
Administrator
11,866 Posts
I have an Anarchy Motive knob on the way, as well as another Redline Shifter Boot on the way. How'd you prep, and what paint did you use? (i'm not good with painting knowledge)
iirc i used some very fine sandpaper and lightly roughed the entire surface, then wiped it down thoroughly with a micro-fiber to remove all the dust. For the actual painting, i propped the lock out collar on a stubby phillips head screwdriver and lightly put a few even coats with some dry time in between. Until it built into the nice finish you see. I used plasti-dip, but I am going to re-do it with a high quality gloss black spray paint. The dip is wearing off some after all these miles.

To be honest, nobody ever notices that it's painted, a very subtle mod for sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts