Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Following. I've got the same wheels and I got quoted $500 for black powdercoat
That's brutal. Local powder coater said $60/wheel. And he is good, he has done work for me before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I painted mine using primer, semi gloss black and clear coat. (sanded down, power washed, 3x each coat, 15 minutes drying in between, 1 hour between different products, 4 hours of drying at the end)
The very first time it was a disaster, I did it outside. Weather was fine until a sudden fog came down between coats of the black paint. Moisture got on it, and like a dummy I went ahead and just finished the job. The end result was a textured surface and a few runs.

If you have to remove paint from your rims do it properly. Not really something you can spot fix in my experience, you have to fully strip it down to bare metal and do it all over again.
I had to use "aircraft remover" and a 3M paint stripper bit on my drill. USE A MASK AND GLOVES! That stuff is gnarly.

I redid all my wheels in my shed with no moisture problems and came out great. ~6 months since painting, only 1 very small chip near the center of the rear passenger tire.
Just take your time with very light coats, wait for drying completely. Getting that paint off to try again was the biggest hassle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts