Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have paint chipping off their car? Mine is only a year and a half old and I have big flakes coming off. Took it to the dealer today and they took lots of pictures and documented the whole thing to send to Ford warranty dept.

My worry is once this is fixed what if the front starts chipping off outside of warranty? Then I'll be screwed especially since I live in road salt central.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
We all have chips in our cars as the OE paint is junk. I don't have any big chips like that coming off though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
We all have chips in our cars as the OE paint is junk. I don't have any big chips like that coming off though.
Rock chips are one thing - completely normal for modern cars with their paint - but this is unacceptable. Some of these chips seem to indicate a problem underneath.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I don't really have much in the way of chips yet. I am wondering if a wrap would be worth it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yeah, that looks like a problem with the prep, which seems weird to me coming from the factory, but I don't know their process and what could have happened there. My 2012 SE didn't have any chips on it beyond rock-hits with 200k miles in New England and the ST is good so far, though it only has 26k.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have this problem. The edge of my hatch door has chipped badly where the paint clearly pooled after it was sprayed. Inside my rear passenger door as well. Then the usual swiss cheese hood.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was planning on keeping this car for a long time but this has changed my mind unfortunately...too bad I really enjoy driving it :(

·
Registered
704 Posts
Unfortunately, paint is something that's terrible on most new cars, though it shouldn't be chipping so easy. The water-based paints just aren't as durable and I think it's a common area where automakers cut costs in terms of thickness, prep, and application. There are plenty of Nazi cars up to six figures with orange peel that looks like the car just got touched up at Maaco, so it's not confined to the low end, either. Funny that black is so popular as it's the most obvious when the finish isn't smooth, but maybe it's just something people don't notice or care about.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Unfortunately, paint is something that's terrible on most new cars, though it shouldn't be chipping so easy. The water-based paints just aren't as durable and I think it's a common area where automakers cut costs in terms of thickness, prep, and application. There are plenty of Nazi cars up to six figures with orange peel that looks like the car just got touched up at Maaco, so it's not confined to the low end, either. Funny that black is so popular as it's the most obvious when the finish isn't smooth, but maybe it's just something people don't notice or care about.
Don't blame the manufacturers, blame our fine EPA who have required more and more stringent requirements for paints (to save the environment!). The paints are not as durable as the old ones, but that is price we pay for some perceived benefit in a better environment. The manufacturers have to do the best they can within the laws. Don't like it, write your congressman, or woman.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the paint in about 8 months, but TS was an extra option and it's a tri-coat, so maybe that helps a little. I've been watching it like a hawk, though, because of all the complaints here. And Ford obviously cheaped out on the paint - you can see where they stopped spraying by the hatch handle. I *****ed about it at the dealer and they said it was normal. It's not normal - it's cheap. I've got a 10 year-old infiniti that's never been parked inside and the paint still looks brand new. I don't have high hopes for the Focus.

Still love the car, though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the paint in about 8 months, but TS was an extra option and it's a tri-coat, so maybe that helps a little. I've been watching it like a hawk, though, because of all the complaints here. And Ford obviously cheaped out on the paint - you can see where they stopped spraying by the hatch handle. I *****ed about it at the dealer and they said it was normal. It's not normal - it's cheap. I've got a 10 year-old infiniti that's never been parked inside and the paint still looks brand new. I don't have high hopes for the Focus.

Still love the car, though.
This! I love my ST and will never sell it because the paint. The ride and enjoyment I get from it out weight the paint chipping. In order to get a car with the power, performance etc of a Focus ST or RS they had to cut some corners somewhere. Paint was probably one of them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This! I love my ST and will never sell it because the paint. The ride and enjoyment I get from it out weight the paint chipping. In order to get a car with the power, performance etc of a Focus ST or RS they had to cut some corners somewhere. Paint was probably one of them.
Funny I've never seen a year old GTI with paint flaking off...same price point...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Don't blame the manufacturers, blame our fine EPA who have required more and more stringent requirements for paints (to save the environment!). The paints are not as durable as the old ones, but that is price we pay for some perceived benefit in a better environment. The manufacturers have to do the best they can within the laws. Don't like it, write your congressman, or woman.
Not blaming the manufacturers or the EPA. They have to cut costs somewhere and the time it costs to get paint right reduces throughput, raising the costs more dramatically over, say, tossing in some goofy tech gadget people feel they need. If I criticize anything, it's the consumers who pay so much for overpriced "luxury" cars, but what I consider worth more a premium cost is seemingly at complete odds to the majority of people and I'd rather build my own things than buy them, so there's no money in catering to me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Almost three weeks no response from dealer....sent a few emails will call tomorrow... Starting to get pretty ticked off

Don't know where to go with this even if they fix it I'll have a car that has been resprayed... Goodbye resale value.

Honestly just want Ford to buy this car back from me

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Almost 5 weeks and the only response I've had is that Ford denied it because it was in their opinion in an accident because there is a single dent on the roof.. Dealer said they are fighting with them to have it approved. Really getting upset with this.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts